Ben Roethlisberger

Nay4AU

Motorcycles are dangerous regardless of wearing a helmet or not. My brother was in a motorcycle accident when he was in high school and the doctors told him he would be dead if he had been wearing a helmet.

wasnt ben the guy that refused to wear a helmet. I think someone did an interview with him and he said that he would never wear a helmet or something like that.

"wasnt ben the guy that refused to wear a helmet. I think someone did an interview with him and he said that he would never wear a helmet or something like that."

Yeah they just showed an interview from July 2005, he feels more free without one and that he would always wear one if it was the law. However, it's not a law so he chooses not to wear one. It is reported that he has a broken jaw and a 9 inch gas in his head. also reported he should be able to be healthy by the start of the season. Hope it's a full and speedy recovery.

Wow, if his injury is serious enough, doesn't he owe the Steelers some cash?

And if he comes out of this still refusing to wear a helmet, he's not very bright.

I don't know about the loss of any teeth although it wouldn't be surprising considering he broke his jaw. They said it should take about 7 weeks to heal.

He's an idiot. I can't believe he doesn't wear a helmet. That is just stupid. Knowing about Jason Williams and Kellen Winslow would scare me off a bike for good. Just wreckless.

Prayers to Ben, and hopefully a speedy recovery.

I'm a huge Steeler fan and think big Ben is the man!

And if he comes out of this still refusing to wear a helmet, he's not very bright.

240082[/snapback]

I heard today that he fought to not have any stipulations in his contract about riding a motorcycle and he won that fight. So, I guess he does not owe them anything. Does not sound like he is going to miss the football season anyway and he don't need his jaw to throw the pig.

240082[/snapback]

I heard today that he fought to not have any stipulations in his contract about riding a motorcycle and he won that fight. So, I guess he does not owe them anything. Does not sound like he is going to miss the football season anyway and he don't need his jaw to throw the pig.

240136[/snapback]

No, but things like calling plays in the huddle, audibles, and the snap count could get tough with a jaw wired shut. He'd also have to have a ton of faith in his O-line :blink:;)

240082[/snapback]

240136[/snapback]

No, but things like calling plays in the huddle, audibles, and the snap count could get tough with a jaw wired shut. He'd also have to have a ton of faith in his O-line :blink:;)

240139[/snapback]

I thought about that. Fortunately, it looks like he will be healed before he has to worry about that. However, if he was not, I guess he will have to do alot of pointing and backyard hand signaling. :lol: I am disappointed that Big Ben was being that stubborn about something that only makes sense. A helmet is about the only protection you have on a motorcycle and when you take that away, you are asking for trouble. I love to ride motorcycles also, just not that type he was riding. I see too many people on these streetbikes doing things that those bikes were not meant to do. I had a guy pop a wheelie right in front of me coming the other way. I had my kids in the car and that sorry SOB could have lost it and went right through my windshield. I really wanted to turn around, chase the a-hole down, and beat the crap out of him. Thank God for my kids in bringing me back to sanity.

So far, it does not sound like Ben was at fault, but when I see wrecks involving these kind of bikes, it usually makes me wonder if there was some "hot dogging"or speeding going on. I like Ben and he is still relatively young. Hopefully he has learned a hard lesson and will realize how fortunate he was that it did not cost him his life. Put a helmet on next time Ben!

Prayers to Ben, and hopefully a speedy recovery.

I'm a huge Steeler fan and think big Ben is the man!

240134[/snapback]

Hate the Steelers (except for Kendall Simmons)...but hope Ben recovers quickly. :)

:au::homer:

...these kind of bikes, it usually makes me wonder if there was some "hot dogging"or speeding going on. ....

If I may, I respectfully disagree with this stereotype. I ride one of "these bikes" on a regular basis. I have also owned a cruiser in the past. Go to Sturgis or Daytona (I have been to both) and you will see just as many, if not more, Harley (other cruiser) riders doing stupid stuff on bikes just to satisfy their $30k egos. It's not the bike, its the rider. Responsibility starts at the brain, not at the wheels.

War Eagle.

...these kind of bikes, it usually makes me wonder if there was some "hot dogging"or speeding going on. ....

If I may, I respectfully disagree with this stereotype. I ride one of "these bikes" on a regular basis. I have also owned a cruiser in the past. Go to Sturgis or Daytona (I have been to both) and you will see just as many, if not more, Harley (other cruiser) riders doing stupid stuff on bikes just to satisfy their $30k egos. It's not the bike, its the rider. Responsibility starts at the brain, not at the wheels.

War Eagle.

240163[/snapback]

Ummm...you might want to read the post again. By no means did I say everybody that rides does it and I was blaming the rider, not the bike (it is inanimate without the rider). However, the problem is that alot of riders buy these bikes to do stupid stuff that you can't do with a Harley. What is the need of having a bike that can go 180 mph. I feel the same about sportscars that go that fast. Some streetbike riders are responsible and you sound like you may be one of them, but I have seen too many being irresponble.

If you like, I would probably be able to provide you with some stats with the number of motorcycle accidents involving street bikes compared to cruisers. Even go further by breaking down the percentage of each's accidents by stating which was pure accident and which ones were done by reckless operation. I think you will see that the stereotype is fairly justified. Last time I checked it is very hard to get a Harley to the same speeds that these streetbikes get to. It is also very hard to pop a wheelie like those streetbikes do and it is also very hard to do those front wheel standups like the streebikers do. You talk about the crazy stuff at Sturgis and that does not surprise me because I have been there myself. However, that is Sturgis, and that is far from the streets around my town and around my house. Within the last year alone, I have seen so many streetbikers doing stunts around traffic then I can remember to count, but I have yet to see somebody on a cruiser, like a Harley, pulling stunts while going down the road. You talk about Sturgis and I am talking about everyday street traffic. Apples and oranges my friend. Apples and orange.

All I know is that when I see fatal motorcycle wreck on the news or in my newspaper, the picture is usually of a mangled streetbike 100 yards into the ditch from where the wreck started or it is planted into the grill or windshield of another care. I can't recall in recent memory of seeing the same from a cruiser. I know cruisers have accidents also, but they are not as frequent and usually don't wind up as horrific as a streebike crash. You can disagree all you want, and that is your right, but you would be wrong. Seeing how withing the last 5 years, I have had two friends and one cousin lose their life on one of those things. I know twice as many people that ride cruisers and not a one has even had an accident, unless you call dropping their back while they are still an accident. :lol:

My brother was in a motorcycle accident when he was in high school and the doctors told him he would be dead if he had been wearing a helmet.

240028[/snapback]

As a motorcyclist and a health care professional I would really like to hear the rational behind that statement.

My brother was in a motorcycle accident when he was in high school and the doctors told him he would be dead if he had been wearing a helmet.

240028[/snapback]

As a motorcyclist and a health care professional I would really like to hear the rational behind that statement.

240181[/snapback]

I thought that same thing too. Instead of boots, perhaps flip-flops are a safer alternative...

Ben engaging in squidly behavior...pretty stupid. That is completely foolish to ride with out a helmet, armor or boots. Big Ben is a pretty big dude (6'5" 241lbs) but that Chrysler weighs in at 3500-4000lbs. :no:

F=m*a, Big Ben. Being a squid is not cool. :thumbsdown:

240028[/snapback]

240181[/snapback]

I have no idea about the rational behind it exactly b/c i was in the 4th grade when it occured..... he collided with a 4 wheeler after skidding on a wet patch of road .... the pedal went through his skull and he also broke his neck. He was in a coma for about 3 weeks. The doctor told my mother that b/c he wasnt wearing a helmet he survived the accident. My guess is that it has something to do with the blunt force of the pedal going through the skull.....

Thankfully he recovered and only has a slight problem with short term memory. Therefore, I believe that regardless of helmet or not, motorcycles are dangerous and when I have children they will be forbidden to have one..... :no:

I unfortunately can answer that question. What used to be the popular design of helmets had a longer area in the back that came down over the neck. If you were wearing one of these types of helments and had an accident it was prone to break your neck because it came so far down. This actually happened to a friends brother years ago. We do not know if he would have survived the other injuries but we were told that the back of the helmet inflicted the injuries received by him to his spinal cord.

As an avid morotrcycleist I still see these helmets from time to time but they are deffinitely in the minority now.

Good luck Ben. The Steeler Nation is with ya!!!!

Guest Tigrinum Major
I unfortunately can answer that question.  What used to be the popular design of helmets had a longer area in the back that came down over the neck.  If you were wearing one of these types of helments and had an accident it was prone to break your neck because it came so far down.  This actually happened to a friends brother years ago.  We do not know if he would have survived the other injuries but we were told that the back of the helmet  inflicted the injuries received by him to his spinal cord.

As an avid morotrcycleist I still see these helmets from time to time but they are deffinitely in the minority now.

240267[/snapback]

The Army has changed the design of the Kevlar helmets for that very reason. The back is now shortened and the size and weight of the helmet is greatly reduced. I wore the new one for the first time this weekend and loved it. Of course, I wasn't riding a motorcycle at the time.

The Army has changed the design of the Kevlar helmets for that very reason.  The back is now shortened and the size and weight of the helmet is greatly reduced.  I wore the new one for the first time this weekend and loved it.  Of course, I wasn't riding a motorcycle at the time.

240279[/snapback]

We ought to chip in and get you one with a spike coming out the top.

Archived