CSS, "Gamecocks have little commitment."

DKW 86

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14882063.htm

Spurrier is airing it outHe groused about it last fall, last winter and last spring. Now, into his second summer at South Carolina, football coach Steve Spurrier is again struggling with the same, old motivational problems for the Gamecocks.

Spurrier says the attendance at offseason workouts this summer isn't like it needs to be. ''We got some lazy guys here who aren't going to make it, and it's just a matter of time before they fall by the wayside,'' Spurrier said Thursday.

It's not the first time the national championship coach has been upset with the flag-football attitudes of some of his players.

Spurrier was angry at a lack of intensity before last season, even shuffling his lineups to let some true freshmen play after the Gamecocks opened 2-3.

Spurrier says it's the poorest commitment he has seen on any team he has coached. ''This is the most problem with guys participating in the voluntary [workout] that I've ever had,'' he said, ``by far the most.

''The commitment level just isn't there,'' Spurrier said. ``If it doesn't improve, then obviously, they don't have much of a chance of playing.''

Maybe the luster of playing for CSS has worn off, and reality as begun to settle back in:

They play for :usc: !

I feel like Coach Spurrier expects commitment and work eithic from these freeloaders. Might explain So Car's history of mediocrity? Winning takes alot of work.

Well, SOS has only been there a year...I'm guessing he's still got a lot of Lou Holtz recruits to deal with. [Those that haven't already been run off or jailed, that is.]

Well, SOS has only been there a year...I'm guessing he's still got a lot of Lou Holtz recruits to deal with.  [Those that haven't already been run off or jailed, that is.]

242967[/snapback]

I would agree with you there. Spurrier is still playing what he was dealt from Holtz. Its hard to believe a coach that built a career as a motivator and a person who expected a high level of commitment from his players could leave a program in such a shambles. We are about to see if Spurrier can live up to his reputation.

However, you could look at it another way. Spurrier is no dummy. This could be a little motivational ploy to stir his guys up in the off season. I wouldn't put it past him.

Well, SOS has only been there a year...I'm guessing he's still got a lot of Lou Holtz recruits to deal with.  [Those that haven't already been run off or jailed, that is.]

242967[/snapback]

I would agree with you there. Spurrier is still playing what he was dealt from Holtz. Its hard to believe a coach that built a career as a motivator and a person who expected a high level of commitment from his players could leave a program in such a shambles. We are about to see if Spurrier can live up to his reputation.

However, you could look at it another way. Spurrier is no dummy. This could be a little motivational ploy to stir his guys up in the off season. I wouldn't put it past him.

242989[/snapback]

Holtz should have to refund all those speaking fees. He is a crock.

242967[/snapback]

242989[/snapback]

Holtz shoul;d have to refund all those speaking fees. He is a crock.

243032[/snapback]

Would this make CLH the Cock of Crock?

242989[/snapback]

Spurrier played this card last year too and it somewhat but not really fully worked.

They still had some players not competing at full speed and whatnot.

Archived