Simpson Pleads Guilty and Judgment set.

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...8960.xml&coll=2

Simpson pleads guilty

Thursday, June 29, 2006

JON SOLOMON

News staff writer

As expected, Alabama linebacker Juwan Simpson pleaded guilty Wednesday to possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor that would be erased upon completion of a pre-trial drug program.

Still unresolved are Simpson's misdemeanor weapons charges for receiving stolen property and carrying a handgun without a permit, stemming from a May 20 traffic stop in Bessemer. Those charges were continued until next month at Bessemer District Court.

The Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center is investigating Simpson's claim that a Northport Police Department officer had previously cleared the gun found in Simpson's possession. The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office said the gun was reported stolen out of Decatur.

If the investigation verifies Simpson's claim, prosecutors have indicated they would dismiss the stolen-property charge once the drug program is completed.

The marijuana conviction carries maximum penalties of one year in jail and a $2,000 fine. Judge Eric Fancher granted a suspended sentence, meaning if Simpson adheres to the terms of the drug program, the conviction will be dropped from his record.

Simpson, 21, will serve 50 hours of community service, pay $200 a month for drug-program dues, be subject to random drug testing, and meet periodically with a case manager. Simpson, who declined comment, must appear before Fancher again July 26.

The court will permit Simpson to be tested and perform community service in Tuscaloosa, said his attorney, Lewis Gillis. Gillis said he also wants Simpson to speak to a group of Jefferson County children as part of additional community service.

Simpson was formally admitted into Drug Court with six other men who pleaded guilty to drug possession - five for felonies that involved cocaine or methamphetamine, and one other misdemeanor for marijuana. Fancher addressed the defendants together during a 20-minute proceeding.

"Each of you I want to make sure you understand, by coming into Drug Court, this does not mean it's a done deal," Fancher told them. "You must fully comply."

Failure to comply could lead to immediate incarceration. The program can take anywhere from six months to three years, Fancher told the defendants, depending on whether they meet requirements.

During the proceeding, Gillis requested that the public record note Simpson's case involved unique circumstances. Gillis said later he wanted to distinguish between drug possession and drug ownership for the plea by Simpson, a potential NFL draft pick in 2007.

"I didn't want anybody at a later point in time to say, `You pled to possession of drugs,' and think of it in the normal sense," Gillis said.

Alabama head coach Mike Shula has not announced what, if any, team punishment he will impose on Simpson. Gillis recently requested a conference with Shula to discuss Simpson's case.

Simpson's legal status could overlap with the start of fall practice. He is currently participating in workouts with teammates at Alabama.

"Part of the reason we also chose to go this route is so that he could get this behind him as soon as we can," Gillis said. "We certainly didn't want anybody in the Alabama family to say he wasn't focused on the start of the season."

E-mail: jsolomon@bhamnews.com

"We certainly didn't want anybody in the Alabama family to say he wasn't focused on the start of the season."

244379[/snapback]

Hmmm....should that really be the most important aspect of this whole situation? Not the criminal record that he's attempting to have expunged, but the focus on the beginning of football season?

Poor innocent soul. They should be ashamed that they...what?..He already pleaded GUILTY?...nevermind..... :D

Still unresolved are Simpson's misdemeanor weapons charges for receiving stolen property and carrying a handgun without a permit, stemming from a May 20 traffic stop in Bessemer. Those charges were continued until next month at Bessemer District Court.

The Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center is investigating Simpson's claim that a Northport Police Department officer had previously cleared the gun found in Simpson's possession. The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office said the gun was reported stolen out of Decatur.

This is what I don't understand. How long does it take to investigate this claim? Why can't the other charges be addressed in a more timely manner? How long does it take to figure out if 1) a Northport officer cleared the gun (.. one phone call to the officer, IMO), and 2) if a carry permit is required and/or on file for a gun under his car seat? Seems like these questions could have been answered the day after he was arrested, yet the investigation goes on?? :huh:

I mean, I know our courts are slow and backlogged, but jeez.

This is what I don't understand. How long does it take to investigate this claim? Why can't the other charges be addressed in a more timely manner? How long does it take to figure out if 1) a Northport officer cleared the gun (.. one phone call to the officer, IMO), and 2) if a carry permit is required and/or on file for a gun under his car seat? Seems like these questions could have been answered the day after he was arrested, yet the investigation goes on?? :huh:

244419[/snapback]

This is why it will slowly disappear under the rug. In a few weeks kind of when it has become an after thought to everyone they will say the gun was cleared ( :o SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!) and everything will go away. Watch and see.

244419[/snapback]

This is why it will slowly disappear under the rug. In a few weeks kind of when it has become an after thought to everyone they will say the gun was cleared ( :o SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!) and everything will go away. Watch and see.

244474[/snapback]

You are correct. Same old same old in west vance. Some things NEVER change.

Alabama head coach Mike Shula has not announced what, if any, team punishment he will impose on Simpson. Gillis recently requested a conference with Shula to discuss Simpson's case.

Is this the norm?? Do lawyers really meet with head coaches to discuss the cases?? Isn't he pro bono also??

Sounds wise. Gillis can explain all the do's and dont's of this program to CMS and give him a true idea of how serious this matter really is. All kidding aside, it's a program that gives the young man a chance to start fresh, but if you get popped for jaywalking, they can kick you right out of it.

Is this the norm?? Do lawyers really meet with head coaches to discuss the cases?? Isn't he pro bono also??

244539[/snapback]

They do when UAT is involved its much easier to hand off the "package" face to face. Also helps to see the lawyer and make sure he has the right idea of UAT "justice". :poke:

244539[/snapback]

They do when UAT is involved its much easier to hand off the "package" face to face. Also helps to see the lawyer and make sure he has the right idea of UAT "justice". :poke:

244554[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol::poke:

During the proceeding, Gillis requested that the public record note Simpson's case involved unique circumstances.

244379[/snapback]

Yuh Onuh, this heyas a bona-fide Bammuh stah playah, and not like thuh othuh common criyiminul folks in heyah tuday

(Accurate enough? Maybe I am getting my lawyer accents confused)

Gillis said later he wanted to distinguish between drug possession and drug ownership for the plea by Simpson, a potential NFL draft pick in 2007.

244379[/snapback]

He possessed it, but did not own it? Was it given to him by a sports agent? Did the dealer give him a special deal unavailable to "normal" college students? Where' Fulmer?

"I didn't want anybody at a later point in time to say, `You pled to possession of drugs,' and think of it in the normal sense," Gillis said.

244379[/snapback]

The normal sense, as in when you are arrested by a police officer with drugs in your possession?

Archived