Choose your Starting Offensive Line-up

AWK

I just wanted to nudge around and see what seniors you think will have a great year. Put all allegances aside and choose your allstar team!

Here goes nothing:

Quarterback: Brian Brohm - Louisville After looking over his stats from the past few years, I have noticed a Roethlis esque QB in training. The only difference between Brohms Senior year and the ole' Steelers, is the team surrounding them. Louisville will be very good next year returning many starters, and they will have a decent running game to help out. Don't be surprised to see Brohm in New York come December for the popularity.....I mean Heisman Trophy contest. Last years stats: 207 (comp) -301 (att), 2883 (yrds), 19(td), 5 (int), 166.73 (QB rating), 41 att (rush), -36 yrds, 4 td. Overall, I think he has a good arm and a strong head, and I believe he will lead them to victory over West Virginia.

Running Back: Kenny Irons - Auburn Yeah Yeah, I know, I said put all allegances aside, but to be fair it was a 50/50 shot between Darby and Irons. Even though Irons did not start every game in 2005, he had a breakout season and rushed for over a thousand yards. Irons has exploviness, speed, and durability. The key to his success is the amount of carries he is awarded during a game. It seems like the more carries he has, the more he tears apart the opposing defense. 2005 Stats: 256 (CAR), 1293 (Yards), 5.1 (YPC), 74 (Long Run), and 13 (TD).

Wide Receiver: Tough Category so Ill list my top 3 impact players for next year.

1. Sidney Rice - South Carolina This guys is Steve Spurrier's new weapon that came out of hiding last year. He lead the gamecocks to tough victories by coming up with huge plays. Another postive is his blocking ability, He puts his body on the line to allow his fellow WR's to gain those extra yards. This is something that Spurrier fell in love with. 2005 Stats: REC 70, YDS 1,143, and TD 13.

2. Courtney Taylor - Auburn / D.J. Hall - Alabama (If he plays) I had to do it! :P

Now everyone throw in your .02!

QB- Brady Quinn (ND)...If stats decide it for you, then you can't deny the MASSIVE numbers Quinn put up at ND last year. Though, the schedule was pretty weak last year, you gotta admit this kid can play.

RB1-Adrian Peterson (OU)...That kid's magic. Even though I HATE OU. :puke:

(no FB-Auburn Style)

RB2-Michael Bush (Louisville)...If I understand correctly, he was an AU lean as a QB until Petrino moved up to Louisville. Imagine this kid in orange and blue!!!

WR1-Calvin Johnson (GT)

WR2-Sidney Rice (SC)

WR3-Dwayne Jarrett (USC)

-ALL 3 are BIG TIME playmakers. Imagine how many rushing yards those two RBs would get with these threats streaking down the field.

2nd Team ALL STARS

QB-Brian Brohm (Louis)

RB1-Kenny Irons

RB2-Pat White (QB at WVU)

WR1-Smardjzijajajaja (ND) White kid at WR

WR2-Jason Hill (Wash St.)-Thats right I said it...

WR3-Courtney Talyor -Couldn't think of anyone else

MOST LIKELY HEISMAN:

1. Brady Quinn (ESPN Fav-ND)

2. Adrian Peterson (ESPN Fav-OU)

3. Troy Smith (ESPN Fav-OSU)

4. Dwayne Jarrett (ESPN Fav-USC)

5. Brian Brohm (Louisville)

Are we going on ability or statistics (i.e., who's most likely to make All-America). Assuming it's the former:

QB - Brady Quinn, Notre Dame

RB - Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma

RB - Kenny Irons, Auburn :au::homer:

WR - Dwayne Jarrett, USC

WR - Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech

TE - Greg Olsen, Miami

OL - Sam Baker, USC

OL - Aaron Sears, Tennessee

OL - Justin Blalock, Texas

OL - Tim Duckworth, Auburn :au::homer:

C - Ryan Kalil, USC

ATH - Ted Ginn, Ohio State

QB- Toss up between Brady Q and Brandon Cox. (I still say Brandon is the most accurate passer I have seen in person in many years.)

RB- Kenny Irons. (The leading rusher in the toughest Conf. in America..."nuff said)

WR- The Rice kid @ USC is very good and will not make it to his senior season The NFL $$$ will be too much to turn down.

Sorry guys A.Peterson will only be a TRUE Junior in the fall.

B.Brohm is also listed as being just a Junior in the fall.

One thing someone said earlier that just isn't taken into account when folks talk about Irons. He hardly played at all in the first two games....and still led the conference in rushing. Had he started those games and picked up a couple hundred more yards on his season total, how do you think he would be perceived coming into this season?

I know you can't assume too much because our plan and set up as far as personell for the GT game was awful. But, had they realized what they had and went into those first two games with the mindset of feeding Irons the ball 20 times per game, I believe he would have added at least 200 more. Would he get more Heisman hype then and be on everyone's first team AA?

And who has Brady Quinn beaten?? Not sure if my memory is straight here, but didn't he lose to every single team with a winning record? Not sure I'd want this guy during a 4th down play with 1 min left on the clock.

QB- I'll take fiesta bowl MVP Troy Smith. Already showed hes the better athlete than Quinn.

RB - Kenny Irons

RB - Bush - Louisville

WR - Jeff Samardzija

WR - Calvin Johnson

By the way, aren't we supposed to be posting seniors? Rice is a sophmore...

And who has Brady Quinn beaten??  Not sure if my memory is straight here, but didn't he lose to every single team with a winning record?  Not sure I'd want this guy during a 4th down play with 1 min left on the clock.

QB- I'll take fiesta bowl MVP Troy Smith.  Already showed hes the better athlete than Quinn.

RB - Kenny Irons

RB - Bush - Louisville

WR - Jeff Samardzija

WR - Calvin Johnson

By the way, aren't we supposed to be posting seniors?  Rice is a sophmore...

245316[/snapback]

Good point Vatz. Rice is simply TOO darn GOOD to be a sophmore. He PLAYS like a Senior.

And who has Brady Quinn beaten??  Not sure if my memory is straight here, but didn't he lose to every single team with a winning record?  Not sure I'd want this guy during a 4th down play with 1 min left on the clock.

QB- I'll take fiesta bowl MVP Troy Smith.  Already showed hes the better athlete than Quinn.

RB - Kenny Irons

RB - Bush - Louisville

WR - Jeff Samardzija

WR - Calvin Johnson

By the way, aren't we supposed to be posting seniors?  Rice is a sophmore...

245316[/snapback]

Good point Vatz. Rice is simply TOO darn GOOD to be a sophmore. He PLAYS like a Senior.

245325[/snapback]

I agree... He's going to have a stellar season.

I can't do it. I Love Auburn.

One thing someone said earlier that just isn't taken into account when folks talk about Irons.  He hardly played at all in the first two games....and still led the conference in rushing.  Had he started those games and picked up a couple hundred more yards on his season total, how do you think he would be perceived coming into this season?

I know you can't assume too much because our plan and set up as far as personell for the GT game was awful.  But, had they realized what they had and went into those first two games with the mindset of feeding Irons the ball 20 times per game, I believe he would have added at least 200 more.  Would he get more Heisman hype then and be on everyone's first team AA?

245315[/snapback]

1969 - Connie Frederick

I haven't seen too many run the ball like Irons, reminds me of Cadillac/Brown/etc.. He runs it's with so much skill and determination, he will have amazing stats this year. Mainly determination. Auburn is runningback U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LkxJc_hiLg

QB- Quinn (ND)

RB- A. Peterson (OU)

FB- L. McClain (UA)

WR- Samardzijz (ND)

WR- D. Jarrett (S.Cal)

WR- S. Rice (S.Car)

I would have put Courtney in for Rice, if I thought he was back to full form. And with that line-up who needs an OL. Well, maybe we do. :ua::angry:

Wondering why you guys dont want a QB on your 1st team who can actually beat a team with a record.

Wondering why you guys dont want a QB on your 1st team who can actually beat a team with a record.

245431[/snapback]

Not sure you can put it on the QB (Quinn) when his team averaged 30+ points and he averaged 300+ yards passing (w/ 3-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio) in his team's three losses. The last thing I am is a ND :homer: , but it's not Quinn's fault they don't play defense. As for Troy Smith, he is certainly the trendy pick, but I'm waiting to see how he does against Coach Chiz down in Austin . . . (better than last year, I hope, for Mr. Smith's sake).

245431[/snapback]

Not sure you can put it on the QB (Quinn) when his team averaged 30+ points and he averaged 300+ yards passing (w/ 3-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio) in his team's three losses. The last thing I am is a ND :homer: , but it's not Quinn's fault they don't play defense. As for Troy Smith, he is certainly the trendy pick, but I'm waiting to see how he does against Coach Chiz down in Austin . . . (better than last year, I hope, for Mr. Smith's sake).

245468[/snapback]

They didn't really play stiff competition either... but I'll give him those stats, pretty good regardless.

AWK Stovall isn't in school anymore.  He was drafted back in April.

245479[/snapback]

Yeah, I totally forgot he was drafted, It's corrected!

I I see a lot of you guys listing Jeff Samardzija. And his/was a great receiver. but, unless I'm mistaken, he was drafted by the Chicago Cubs and he's playing Minor League Baseball right now.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I I see a lot of you guys listing Jeff Samardzija. And his/was a great receiver. but, unless I'm mistaken, he was drafted by the Chicago Cubs and he's playing Minor League Baseball right now.

245508[/snapback]

He will still be playing at Norte Dame this fall. Playing pro baseball does not make one ineligible to play college football.

He will still be playing at Norte Dame this fall.  Playing pro baseball does not make one ineligible to play college football.

245509[/snapback]

Are you sure?

I know somebody can play Minor league ball, quit, and play college football, but I've never heard of any doing both at the same time.

Seems like that would fall under the same rule as the Colorado kid who was a profesional snow boarder, but couldn't play college football unless he quit snow boarding.

Guest Tigrinum Major

You are right, he can't do it at the same time. He will have to quit at some point and go back to the football team.

You are right, he can't do it at the same time.  He will have to quit at some point and go back to the football team.

245514[/snapback]

I know you've probably heard this before, but you sir are a smart :moon: . ;):big:

Link

Former Notre Dame pitcher Jeff Samardzija (Valparaiso, Ind.) officially has signed with the Chicago Cubs organization and is set to begin his professional baseball career as a member of the Boise (Idaho) Hawks. Samardzija maintains his eligibility with the Irish football team but - by signing with the Cubs - will forego his senior season with the Notre Dame baseball program. The Hawks have yet to announce the debut for Samardzija, who will be interviewed today on ESPN's Cold Pizza (at approximately 12:20 p.m. EDT).

Samardzija has plans to pursue a professional career in both baseball and football, a challenge that a handful of college football players have pursued in recent years. Quarterbacks Matt Mauck (LSU) and Quincy Carter (Georgia) both played minor-league baseball in the Cubs organization before starting their college football careers (each stopped playing pro baseball at that time). Two others - Texas running back Ricky Williams and Florida quarterback Doug Johnson - both played minor-league baseball during their college football careers (Williams with the Philadelphia Phillies organization and Johnson in the Tampa Devil Rays minor-league system). Chris Wienke was a minor-league player in the Toronto Blue Jays system before starting his college football career later in life and ultimately earning the Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Florida State. Each of the above players also went on to play in the National Football League.

If Samardzija goes on to play professionally in baseball and football, he would become the first Notre Dame baseball player to go on to play two sports professionally since Ron Reed played in the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball during the 1960s.

Said Ricky Williams played minor-league baseball during his college fball careers... didn't know that.

Archived