Prof spurns committee

TigerOne

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...6880.xml&coll=1

"Since I've been thinking about the athletic rules and other such things, it is clear that everything Petee did for athletes was also available for other students. In terms of the letter of NCAA regulations, there are probably no problems."

"I have never said this was something that was done specifically for athletes," Gundlach said. "My concern was that the athletes were something that was going to call attention to it and lead to embarrassing situations. If the athletes weren't there, nobody would care.

This statement bothers me. If you were worried about it being a embarrasing situation then why go to the NYT and make it one? and if it wasn't done specifcally for athletes then why was it athletes that made you investigate all of this on your own.... why not when you were watching students get their diploma's at graduation go hey, I don't recall having that person in class ever.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...6880.xml&coll=1

14auburn600.2.jpg

If you werent talking to the NYT about athletes and footballers, why is your pic in front of players entrance to JHS? Gundlach, you are a intellectually disingenuous tool.

Gundlach spurns AU probe

Monday, July 17, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

Sociology director declines to meet with committee

AUBURN - James Gundlach, the Auburn sociology director who accused department head Tom Petee of academic misconduct, says he will no longer cooperate with the committee appointed by Provost John Heilman to investigate the allegations.

"The committee has been in touch with me asking to meet with them tomorrow," Gundlach said Sunday in an interview with The Hunts-ville Times. "I e-mailed them and said my cooperation with them is over."

Gundlach said he made his decision after reading a report in Friday's Huntsville Times that administration officials said he was motivated, at least in part, to make his allegations in a story released Thursday by The New York Times because he was passed over when Petee, a criminology professor, was promoted in 2002.

Gundlach said Sunday he never wanted the job and never told university officials he did.

"The only university officials I've talked to about this since the (New York) Times reporter first appeared on campus are two members of the committee that is supposed to investigate," Gundlach said. "I remember, at one time in that meeting, one of the two people asked me if I had supported Petee when he ran for chair. I said no, and we moved on.

"What seems to me is that somehow information from that got passed on somehow or someway to people that certainly shouldn't have been talking to you about what I said at that meeting. They are saying no talking until it is quiet, but apparently somebody on that committee and other people at the university saw fit to use that to, in effect, discredit me.

"It's a total falsehood. The only contested office I ran for was director of sociology, and I won that. There are no sour grapes here. It was a total fabrication."

Though the controversy has swirled around football players who took so-called "direct reading" or "directed study" courses under Petee, Gundlach said his main motivation was that Petee is "unfit as a department administrator."

"I have never said this was something that was done specifically for athletes," Gundlach said. "My concern was that the athletes were something that was going to call attention to it and lead to embarrassing situations. If the athletes weren't there, nobody would care.

more...

I would tell him to be there or clean out his office. He started this crap, he meets with the investigating committee.

:bs: x 100

The sooner that guy gets off campus the better the place will be. The only master Dr. Gundlach is servering is his own ego, and not some greater purpose at Auburn.

Since the abuses have, for the most part, ended, Gundlach said, SACS would likely want to know what was being done to keep them from happening again.

"What I would suggest is that department chairs have some sort of regular accountability," he said. "Rather than expecting the deans to go inspect what department heads are doing, I think it would be entirely reasonable to expect, when faculty are putting in their packages for annual review, that the department chair prepare one of those of what he or she did also and provide it to a committee of all the tenured faculty in the department to see if they see any problems."

I have such qualms with this man and the way he handled this situation it’s not funny. However if the investigation turns these accusations of Petee to be true, then this is not a half bad idea about making sure this kind of thing doesn’t happen again.

Yeah, uh....i didn't get my promotion and the guys that did weren't doing things like i wanted them done... I just felt like the university quit revolving around me...someone had to pay...yadda,yadda :puke:

it appears to me that this guy is steadily backtracking from the stuff in the article and has contradicted himself several times.....not meeting with the committee, and acting indignant about it, might be a way for him to crawfish out and save face....even doug layton, on wjox, says AU is not going to get in ncaa trouble over this

If you werent talking to the NYT about athletes and footballers, why is your pic in front of players entrance to JHS? Gundlach, you are a intellectually disingenuous tool.

Indeed. If it weren't about athletics, they why is Dr. Gundlach being sponsored by The Drake Group? .... the same Drake Group that wants to see an end to scholarships for intercollegiate athletics? the same Drake group that instigated the Bensel-Meyers/UT grades scandal? ... the same Drake group that has used the NYT as it's mouthpiece in the past?

Indeed. If it weren't about athletics, they why is Dr. Gundlach being sponsored by The Drake Group? .... the same Drake Group that wants to see an end to scholarships for intercollegiate athletics? the same Drake group that instigated the Bensel-Meyers/UT grades scandal? ... the same Drake group that has used the NYT as it's mouthpiece in the past?

248794[/snapback]

you hit the nail on the head

"The committee has been in touch with me asking to meet with them tomorrow," Gundlach said Sunday in an interview with The Hunts-ville Times. "I e-mailed them and said my cooperation with them is over."

"What seems to me is that somehow information from that got passed on somehow or someway to people that certainly shouldn't have been talking to you about what I said at that meeting. They are saying no talking until it is quiet, but apparently somebody on that committee and other people at the university saw fit to use that to, in effect, discredit me.

Do you think he is a little PO'ed that AU got their version out before the NYT?

And that the entire country is not talking about it?

Shoddy journalism + disgruntled employee + Drake group agenda = NON BLOCKBUSTER STORY

Archived