Promised Second NYT article...

DKW 86

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/17/opinion/17mon4.html

From the NYT editorial page today... Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaming the Game System

Published: July 17, 2006

The National Collegiate Athletic Association’s most important mission is to ensure that college athletes get legitimate educations and degrees instead of being dumped onto the streets with nothing when their playing days are finished. The N.C.A.A. policies that raised standards for athletes, while judging sports programs based on how athletes perform in class, were sold as a way of putting the bad old days of athletic exploitation behind us.

But the legitimacy of those policies has been thrown into doubt by yet another scandal at the Alabama football power, Auburn University. An analysis by an Auburn sociology professor, James Gundlach, suggests that high-profile football players have been allowed to pad their grades and remain eligible for play through suspect classes that required no attendance and little work. Athletes with otherwise mediocre grades performed swimmingly in the so-called directed-reading courses.

In one particularly fishy case, an athlete who needed to remain eligible for a football game was permitted to sign up for one of these puff classes nine weeks into a semester that ran only 15 weeks. Professor Gundlach analyzed the records of questionable courses and described the corruption at Auburn as pervasive. He told The Times’s Pete Thamel that the school had actually permitted sociology majors to graduate without taking sociology classes.

This dust-up casts yet another shadow over an already troubled football program. But it also suggests that there are flaws in the rating system that the N.C.A.A. uses to determine whether or not college athletes are making satisfactory academic progress. Under this system, Auburn’s football program had been ranked academically as one of the best big-time sports programs in the country, which placed it in the same tier as academically rigorous institutions like Duke and Stanford.

Auburn needs to get its house in order. The N.C.A.A. needs to go back to the drawing board and develop a method for discerning the difference between big athletic powers that appear to comply with the rules and schools that actually are doing it.

Man, I am out of toilet paper, anyone got a NYT handy.... :banghead:

If this is not actionable then we need to find us a few attorneys with some balls!

This dust-up casts yet another shadow over an already troubled football program.

WTH?

He told The Times’s Pete Thamel that the school had actually permitted sociology majors to graduate without taking sociology classes.

I have a hard time believing this. Surely, at some point, he's gonna be called on some of these allegations.

This article is begging for a law suit. They are angry because their "groundbreaking" story hasn't blown up like they expected.

Oh, who really cares what NYT has to say?

(At this point I think more people in AL are reading it then anywhere else).

Even in NY no one reads it, only the exocentric & rich NYC (Manhattan people).

Anyone that wants real news in NY reads Newsday & NYNewsday.

Look around on the internet in other sports circle’s, there is hardly any play on it.

WAR EAGLE!

It's going to be a GREAT year!

I hope that, as promised, the administration is mounting a fully transparent investigation and then a vigorous defense of these slanderous allegations. I mean to the point of attacking the nyt for allowing this type of wreckless and obviously slanted reporting.

These guys can say\print anything without fear of retribution. Gundlach is a tool as is Thamel.

So the New York Times - that bastion of journalistic integrity and legitimacy - is saying that "Auburn needs to get its house in order?" Pardon me while I dodge the lightning bolts . . .

the Alabama football power, Auburn University

Well the NYT got one thing right and pointed out the obvious to UAT! :big:

I saw that as well...Good stuff!

I far as the rest of it I refer to something my father told a woman from Washington D.C. one time......"I don't give a damn how you did it up North!"

the Alabama football power, Auburn University

Well the NYT got one thing right and pointed out the obvious to UAT! :big:

248745[/snapback]

BINGO ! ! !

THAT may have more to do with this article than some would like to admit.

Archived