http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060719/1048720.asp

0719ubmain_mrln.jpg

UB football buffs up its image

Gill's team uses logo to charge into new era

By RODNEY MCKISSIC

News Sports Reporter

7/19/2006 

John Hickey/Buffalo News

UB linebacker Ramon Guzman sports the team's new uniform surrounded by Athletics Director Warde Manuel, left, and football coach Turner Gill.

You can still refer to the University at Buffalo as "UB," but the school's new logo that was unveiled on Tuesday at UB Stadium places more weight on the name "Buffalo."

The new logo is a rampaging bison in dark and sky blue over the name Buffalo. The only remnants of the old insignia - a bulls' head with smoke oozing from the nostrils, which Athletics Director Warde Manuel said looked like "a severed head of a bull" - are similarities to the horns, eyes and ring in its nose.

"It looks powerful," Manuel said of the new look. "It looks angry and mean and tough and strong. That's the image this institution should be about."

The football program also kicked off the Turner Gill era with new uniforms with the word "Buffalo" above the number on the front of the jersey. The Bulls' helmets will display a new design of the school's interlocking UB with a gray outline on a blue helmet, instead of a single bull horn.

"The UB is what we're about," Manuel said. "UB is what we want to be known for, and when people see our helmet, they know who we are. There's no guessing, there's no looking at the jersey, and eventually once people put this helmet on and they step on the field, people will know."

The last time the interlocking UB was on the helmets was in 2000, which was coach Craig Cirbus' final season. Also, for the first time since 2000, the players won't have their names on the back of their jerseys. The uniforms were custom designed by Nike through Ron Raccuia, president of Buffalo-based Ad Pro Sports.

"The people in the body of the uniforms are going to make things happen on the football field, but I tell you what, to play good you have to look good," Gill said. "We wanted something simple, but with a lot of class to it."

The concept of the new logo, the school's first change in 10 years, was developed over the last six months through UB's marketing and communications departments in conjunction with its marketing and creative services. The lead design, which began with more than 500 prototypes, was done by Alan Kegler at creative services with Peter Killian, assistant vice president for marketing and creative services, overseeing the project.

Merchandise will be available at www.buffalobulls.com beginning Friday before an expected fall rollout in area retail stores. UB hopes to have the design on midfield at UB Stadium before the season opener against Temple on Aug. 31.

"The push is to get UB on the national level as well as to continue to drive regional sales," Manuel said.

The UB insignia has gone through more face-lifts than Joan Rivers - at least 14 - but Manuel took steps to ensure the longevity of the current logo. He asked school President John B. Simpson that any future changes on the logo or helmet have to be determined by the school president.

Football fans know the distinct design of Michigan's helmets or the one-eyed bandit with his chin-strap unbuckled of the Oakland Raiders. Manuel wants the same for Buffalo.

"What we're representing on the helmet is an important, significant symbol of this institution and it should not be changed and it should not be taken lightly in the future," he said. "This is the way we're going to look from now on."

The school also announced a three-year deal with Derby-based New Era Cap, which will include the "Turner Gill Sideline Collection," which features five custom designed caps, a knit toque and visor.

The deal makes New Era the preferred cap provider for UB, and all teams will wear New Era hats in practice and games.

The guy in the article said we want people to know who we are without looking at the jerseys. People will know who you are if you win. How long has Buffalo been playing football? Why are we playing them again?

They fit the hole in the schedule I guess. There is no reason to be playing them, UL-L, UL-M, Tulane, FIU, etc

I'm telling you guys now this game is scary. I am going to have to start working out more since by the end of the 3rd quarter, there's gonna be a "fantasy camp" where lucky fans from the stands will get to play in the game.

Look smore like a bull than a bison(buffalo) to me.

by the end of the 3rd quarter, there's gonna be a "fantasy camp" where lucky fans from the stands will get to play in the game.

250635[/snapback]

BWAHAHAHAHAHROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck, I thought you were talking about the Buffalo Bills changing their logo.

Look smore like a bull than a bison(buffalo) to me.

They are the Buffalo Bulls.

250652[/snapback]

Two different animals though. That was my point.

so are we playing buffalo or Merrill Lynch?

250690[/snapback]

Neither man, it's Schlitz! :D

I want NOTRE DAME.  I say we keep extending the offer until we drive them nuts and they say yes.  Auburn needs to hand ND a loss.

250640[/snapback]

Man, if we could play ND. It would be so cool to give them a loss. I wonder why they won't play us. Surely the mighty Fighting Irish is not scared of little ole' us are they? I am sure we have played ND in the past haven't we? If we have, I wonder what our record is against them? I tried to find on the internet, but that is too detailed for a search to come up with the right results.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060719/1048720.asp

0719ubmain_mrln.jpg

UB football buffs up its image

Gill's team uses logo to charge into new era

By RODNEY MCKISSIC

News Sports Reporter

7/19/2006 

John Hickey/Buffalo News

UB linebacker Ramon Guzman sports the team's new uniform surrounded by Athletics Director Warde Manuel, left, and football coach Turner Gill.

You can still refer to the University at Buffalo as "UB," but the school's new logo that was unveiled on Tuesday at UB Stadium places more weight on the name "Buffalo."

The new logo is a rampaging bison in dark and sky blue over the name Buffalo. The only remnants of the old insignia - a bulls' head with smoke oozing from the nostrils, which Athletics Director Warde Manuel said looked like "a severed head of a bull" - are similarities to the horns, eyes and ring in its nose.

"It looks powerful," Manuel said of the new look. "It looks angry and mean and tough and strong. That's the image this institution should be about."

The football program also kicked off the Turner Gill era with new uniforms with the word "Buffalo" above the number on the front of the jersey. The Bulls' helmets will display a new design of the school's interlocking UB with a gray outline on a blue helmet, instead of a single bull horn.

"The UB is what we're about," Manuel said. "UB is what we want to be known for, and when people see our helmet, they know who we are. There's no guessing, there's no looking at the jersey, and eventually once people put this helmet on and they step on the field, people will know."

The last time the interlocking UB was on the helmets was in 2000, which was coach Craig Cirbus' final season. Also, for the first time since 2000, the players won't have their names on the back of their jerseys. The uniforms were custom designed by Nike through Ron Raccuia, president of Buffalo-based Ad Pro Sports.

"The people in the body of the uniforms are going to make things happen on the football field, but I tell you what, to play good you have to look good," Gill said. "We wanted something simple, but with a lot of class to it."

The concept of the new logo, the school's first change in 10 years, was developed over the last six months through UB's marketing and communications departments in conjunction with its marketing and creative services. The lead design, which began with more than 500 prototypes, was done by Alan Kegler at creative services with Peter Killian, assistant vice president for marketing and creative services, overseeing the project.

Merchandise will be available at www.buffalobulls.com beginning Friday before an expected fall rollout in area retail stores. UB hopes to have the design on midfield at UB Stadium before the season opener against Temple on Aug. 31.

"The push is to get UB on the national level as well as to continue to drive regional sales," Manuel said.

The UB insignia has gone through more face-lifts than Joan Rivers - at least 14 - but Manuel took steps to ensure the longevity of the current logo. He asked school President John B. Simpson that any future changes on the logo or helmet have to be determined by the school president.

Football fans know the distinct design of Michigan's helmets or the one-eyed bandit with his chin-strap unbuckled of the Oakland Raiders. Manuel wants the same for Buffalo.

"What we're representing on the helmet is an important, significant symbol of this institution and it should not be changed and it should not be taken lightly in the future," he said. "This is the way we're going to look from now on."

The school also announced a three-year deal with Derby-based New Era Cap, which will include the "Turner Gill Sideline Collection," which features five custom designed caps, a knit toque and visor.

The deal makes New Era the preferred cap provider for UB, and all teams will wear New Era hats in practice and games.

250175[/snapback]

I like that logo alot, seems to flow well with the colors.

I am sure we have played ND in the past haven't we? If we have, I wonder what our record is against them? I tried to find on the internet, but that is too detailed for a search to come up with the right results.

250707[/snapback]

We have never played them. I didn't think we had...Just checked the media guide.

Why does a wild bison have a ring in it's nose?  Fashion statement?

250720[/snapback]

That's nothing you should see that logo when they turn it around.....Tattoo on the small of the bisons back. Like a target to them northern boys.

Why does a wild bison have a ring in it's nose?  Fashion statement?

250720[/snapback]

That's nothing you should see that logo when they turn it around.....Tattoo on the small of the bisons back. Like a target to them northern boys.

250724[/snapback]

So it has a tramp stamp? :D:P

I am sure we have played ND in the past haven't we? If we have, I wonder what our record is against them? I tried to find on the internet, but that is too detailed for a search to come up with the right results.

250707[/snapback]

We have never played them. I didn't think we had...Just checked the media guide.

250711[/snapback]

Following the 1996 season, Auburn was slated to play in the Independence Bowl against Notre Dame in Shreveport. Notre Dame opted out of the game, saying, in essence, ND would rather not play in a bowl game than play in that crappy game. Army was brought in, and Auburn beat them by 3.

Archived