Tate on Tate

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../608120343/1002

I study nuclear science, I love my classes...

I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses...

Things are going great, and they're only getting better...

I'm doin' all right, getting good grades.....

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades.... B)

AUBURN REPORT: Tate emerging as versatile AU back

Coaches already comparing freshman to former star Ronnie Brown

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN -- Ben Tate grew up quickly this spring.

He graduated high school in December, began his college career a month later, then emerged as a top tailback during Auburn's spring practice period. Tate was fast. He was durable. He was the talk of the town.

Now he's just another name.

Top tailbacks Kenny Irons, Brad Lester and fullback Carl Stewart are earning playing time with the first-team offense now, relegating Tate to a peripheral role.

"I haven't thought about it," Tate said. "I'm trying to be mistake-free, then I'll let the coaches figure out what to do with me. I am young. Kenny and Brad have more experience and that's important. I know they're ahead of me. I'm just trying to catch up as quickly as I can."

Tate's quick slide into anonymity may be short-lived.

Coaches still speak of Tate in almost reverential tones. Asked recently about Tate's progress this year, offensive coordinator Al Borges indicated that Tate might be the fastest learner he's ever coached.

"He picks up things I don't even tell him about," Borges said. "The kid is pretty amazing, just the awareness. He's on another level. Then you have to think -- he's a freshman. He's supposed to be starting his first few practices right now."

Tate was a top recruit last fall and became interested in Auburn after the program's 2004 rise to national prominence. Running backs coach Eddie Gran immediately found a connection with Tate during the recruiting process.

There was a reciprocal appreciation.

Tate arrived in Auburn last winter in surprisingly good shape. He went through winter workouts, but rarely drew criticism from conditioning Czar Kevin Yoxall.

The tailback arrived on the Plains ready to play.

That's what he did in the spring, blowing through tackles and flashing unusual speed. He looked like a franchise back.

Gran believes that wasn't a spring mirage.

"He's basically everything you want: Smart kid, fast learner, big, fast, has a drive -- a strong drive -- to be great," Gran said. "He can be Ronnie Brown type. He can be our single back. If he gets out there and produces, he'll play. It's that simple."

For now, Tate is trying to be as valuable as possible. He played the single-back position during the spring (Auburn calls that "R" and now has been spending time at "F" back.

That's where Brown made a name for himself in 2004 and blossomed into a first-round NFL draft pick of the Miami Dolphins.

Learning to serve the team in two roles gives Tate hope that he won't be an afterthought this fall.

I was reading a recruiting clip once and his high school coach said that AU fans probably did not realize what they were getting in Tate, because he came from the North East. I'm begining to realize! And LIKE it! :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Little known fact: Ben Tate is Terry Tate's (Office Linebacker) younger brother.

"You kill the joe, you make some mo!"

Archived