CFN Predictions for the Biggest Games

DKW 86

http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Predic...Predictions.htm

Quick Predictions for the Biggest Games of 2006

Early picks for the season's most important, must-see battles

Just a few posted, in order...

39. Alabama at Florida, Sept. 30

Bama’s 31-3 destruction of the Gators got its season rolling last year. Florida needs this win before facing LSU, and it'll get it with Chris Leak and the passing game having few problems with the Tide secondary.

Predicted score in mid-August: Florida 24 ... Alabama 10

35. Florida at Auburn, Oct. 14

The two haven't played in a few years, but they could end up facing each other twice. This could be a preview of the SEC title game. Auburn has the schedule and the team to play for the national title, but Florida will throw a wrench into those plans with the defense and an experienced quarterback in Chris Leak coming up with great games in a hostile environment.

Predicted score in mid-August: Florida 23 ... Auburn 21

33. Georgia at Auburn, Nov. 11

This is what many thought last year’s SEC title game should’ve been. The Tigers beat the Dawgs in Athens 31-30 in one of the year’s best games, and it'll come up with another hard fought win. Kenny Irons might not run wild, but he won't have to carry the offense.

Predicted score in mid-August: Auburn 20 ... Georgia 17

30. California at Tennessee, Sept. 2

One of the most interesting non-conference battles of the first few weeks, Cal can make a big splash with a win, while Tennessee can show things have rebounded from last year. SEC fans might not want to believe this, but Cal is the better team. It'll take at least a game for the Vol offense to get back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, the fantastic Bear back seven won't accommodate.

Predicted score in mid-August: California 23 ... Tennessee 14

28. LSU at Tennessee, Nov. 4

The Vols stunned the Tigers last year thanks to a second half LSU collapse. LSU will look for payback to be in the mix for the SEC title, but it won't get it. By early November, the Tennessee offense under coordinator David Cutcliffe will be back to being the Tennessee offense.

Predicted score in mid-August: Tennessee 24 ... LSU 20 :blink:

22. Tennessee at Georgia, Oct. 7

It doesn’t have the hype of Tennessee-Florida or Georgia-Florida, but it’s always just as important in the SEC race. It'll be a nip-and-tuck battle with special teams deciding things in the end. Georgia has one of the nation's best kicking games, but James Wilhoit will hit the game-winner for the Vols as time expires.

Predicted score in mid-August: Tennessee 16 ... Georgia 13 :headscratch:

20. Florida vs. Georgia, Oct. 28

Yeah, Urban Meyer won his first Cocktail Party, but the Dawgs didn’t have D.J. Shockley. That won’t have him this year either. While SEC fans might hope to see the showcase of star freshmen quarterbacks Matthew Stafford for Georgia and Tim Tebow for Florida, Chris Leak will still be the main man under center and he'll get his second straight win in the rivalry.

Predicted score in mid-August: Florida 23 ... Georgia 14

17. Alabama at LSU, Nov. 11

The loser will likely be out of the SEC West title hunt. LSU has won the last three meetings and will come up with a fourth straight victory thanks to a far more effective offense. The Tiger receivers should torch the Tide secondary.

Predicted score in mid-August: LSU 21 ... Alabama 13

16. South Carolina at Florida, Nov. 11

Get the hype started now for Steve Spurrier’s first game back in the Swamp; Urban Meyer had better win it. South Carolina beat the Gators 30-22 for its final win of last season, and it won't have the same luck this time around. The Florida front seven will stop the Gamecock offense cold.

Predicted score in mid-August: Florida 27 ... South Carolina 10

14. Alabama at Auburn, Nov. 18

Always a classic, at least one of the two will be in a position to win the SEC West title. This is Auburn's only road date of note, and it just so happens to come in the final regular season game. The Tigers will make it five straight wins in the heated series with the defense overwhelming the Tide offense. The team that's most effective running the ball will win, and that'll be Auburn.

Predicted score in mid-August: Auburn 13 ... Alabama 10 :thumbsdown:

13. LSU at Florida, Oct. 7

Is this round one of the SEC championship? If both teams are unbeaten, this will be a battle of top five teams looking to stay in the national title chase. LSU's offensive line will have to play its best game of the year to get out the Swamp alive, but it'll be the Tiger defense that pulls off the likely upset. Florida will have to pass to win, and it's going to have a nightmare of a time doing it against LaRon Landry and the LSU secondary.

Predicted score in mid-August: LSU 24 ... Florida 20

10. Florida at Tennessee, Sept. 16

Always one of the first big SEC games of the year, this will either be when Urban Meyer’s Gators take a first step to a huge season or when Tennessee officially announces that 2005 was an aberration. If the Vols lose to Cal in the season opener, this will be a must-win for Phil Fulmer. He won't get it. With all the talk about Meyer's offense, it's his defense that'll make the most noise this year with a front four that'll be camped out in the Volunteer backfield.

Predicted score in mid-August: Florida 17 ... Tennessee 14

4. LSU at Auburn, Sept. 16

Not just potentially for the SEC West title, this should play a big role in the national championship race. Auburn will be a bit more battle tested having played Washington State and at Mississippi State, and LSU will have its biggest road test yet in the young Les Miles era. Yeah, the Auburn version of the Tigers will be without linebackers Tray Blackmon and Kevin Sears, but there's more than enough athleticism and speed in the defensive back seven to make up for it. The Auburn offensive line will turn out to be the difference. The last two games between the two have been decided by a total of four points.

Predicted score in mid-August: Auburn 19 ... LSU 17

I do not agree with a lot of this. I dont disagree with the wins, but a few of the scores are not at all what I expect. Not necessarily the margins mind you but the Over/Under or totals.

I think it shows Auburn better not buy into all the hype about how good

we are supposed to be. Those scores are very possible. Florida is a scary team,

no mention of Arkansas or South Carolina, maybe not considered big games but just

lose one and see how big it gets.

It shows our offense may not put up a lot of points, defense will dominate and the new rule

changes will all keep the scores down. They aren't showing Brandon Cox much love either

as he may be the best (should be) QB in the conference.

Alot of low scoring games down the whole list. He must think the whole SEC is defense dominate.

What's up with all the :ut: love? According to this, this guy thinks UT will beat everyone in the SEC, but won't beat Cal? I think they will be improved, but not that much.

What they dont realize is our secondary will be a strong point on defense. And if UF is going to beat us, it will have to be running the ball.

They seem to think UF is the greatest team in the world. They will be proven wrong. AU and UA will beat the gators.

Ok here is my take on the the article:

First: I do like CFN for the most part....their writers are generally funny and aside from the few Auburn digs they sometimes sprout I agree with most of their stuff. However, I think it is way to early to be sprouting scores, no one has even played a single down...I can sit here and pick scores within 3 points to (and yes I do know that there is nothing else to talk about at this point and that they are just creating stories). That being said: I would gladly....gladly take CFN's first prediction of this year going 11-1 losing to the Gators in the reg season game and beating them for the SEC Championship.

Since they have "created" these scores and there is nothing else to talk about...Im going to review some of them...Lets start with Florida. :uf:

Ok...I live in South Florida....my wife suffice it to say is a graduate of the Gator School and about everyone I work with is a croc. This is my biggest question mark for the year...I dont get their hype. We know they have problems with their O-line...Their Defense will be very good but their is a depth issue there as well. I still dont believe that CUM's (Crying Urban Meyer those of you that saw his press conf from last year will understand) system will work in the SEC, our Defenses are much to fast sideline to sideline and can Leak even run the thing? Oh yes ..I know..I know he got Tim Teabow...well guess what Tim this isnt HS football I would love to see him put Teabow in against us or even the Bammers (I will take the flak if he is the second coming, chances are as a true freshman he wont be). So the closest thing I can tell to them getting so much hype is that their coach traditionally turns a program into something special the 2nd year...guess what the SEC isnt the Mountain West Conf or where ever the hell Utah, and Bowling Green, before that plays its football. Dont get me wrong I do think the Gators will be good, and they should win the East I just dont get their "hype" and with their schedule good luck.

On to my second team rant regarding "over-hype"... UGA...The Gamecocks will beat them in the second game...my prediction...nuff said!!!!

Now its :nanner: Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

preseason :uf: and :ut: love....what else is new...every year they say the same things....and recently they've been wrong...I only wish they had us losing all of the games so the players could be as mad as hornets when they go out there and stomp people.

:cheer::au::cheer:

P.S. If anyone here has a rivals account I suggest checking out the pics of Greg Smith...he's HUGE

So barring any upsets, UT, UF, LSU, and AU finish 7-1 in SEC play, with UF and AU in rematch in SECCG winning head to heads??

NO WAY, all four teams will go thru with just one loss in conference. If that happened, the top ten would be those 4 teams plus UT with 2 losses to Cal and UF. I just don't think that will happen. I would be shocked to say the least.

preseason :uf: and :ut: love....what else is new...every year they say the same things....and recently they've been wrong...I only wish they had us losing all of the games so the players could be as mad as hornets when they go out there and stomp people.

:cheer::au::cheer:

P.S. If anyone here has a rivals account I suggest checking out the pics of Greg Smith...he's HUGE

After a summer of hitting the books instead of the blocking sled, Smith is a few pounds above his listed weight of 315 pounds, and AU’s coaches aren’t saying how much they expect him to contribute.

O/A News article

I wonder how much is a "a few pounds"?????

I don't mean to hijack this into a Greg Smith thread, but couldn't this guy have done some work in the off season? They make it sound like he had to study 24/7. From what I understood, he was only short one math class.I know that his first priority was to pass the class, but it seems that he should have had some time for working out. Maybe this is a case of sports writers making a mountain out of a mole hill.I really hope he can get in and contribute.

Archived