Home Field Advantage

wardamneagle

I'm not getting the "we have no room to talk about OOC opponents" point.

What's not to get? We don't have an OOC schedule the last few years that's really any different or better than Alabama's. Let's look at our OOC opponents from 1999 (CTT's first season) to 2006:

AUBURN

Appalachian St. (I-AA)

Ball St.

Western Ky. (I-AA)

Wyoming

N. Illinois

La. Tech

Ball St.

Syracuse

La. Tech

Southern Cal

Western Carolina (I-AA)

Syracuse

La.-Monroe

Southern Cal

Georgia Tech

Western Ky. (I-AA)

La.-Monroe

La.-Monroe

Citadel (I-AA)

La. Tech

Georgia Tech

Ball St.

Western Ky. (I-AA)

Washington St.

Buffalo

Tulane

Arkansas St.

ALABAMA

Houston

Southern Miss

La. Tech

UCLA

Southern Miss

Central Fla.

UCLA

UTEP

Southern Miss

Middle Tenn. St.

Oklahoma

North Texas

Southern Miss

Hawaii

South Fla.

Oklahoma

N. Illinois

Southern Miss

Hawaii

Utah St.

Western Carolina (I-AA)

Southern Miss

Middle Tenn. St.

Southern Miss

Utah St.

Hawaii

La.-Monroe

Duke

Fla. International

Now, by my estimation, the breakdown goes like this:

Auburn

Good/reputable teams: Southern Cal (twice), Georgia Tech (twice), Syracuse (twice), Washington St.

Decent teams: La. Tech (three times), Wyoming, Central Fla.

Bad teams: Ball State (twice), La. Monroe (three times), N. Illinois, Idaho, Buffalo, Arkansas St., Tulane

I-AA teams: Western Ky. (twice), Citadel, Western Carolina, Appalachian St.

Alabama

Good/reputable teams: Oklahoma (twice), UCLA (twice), Southern Miss (seven times)

Decent teams: Hawaii (three times), Central Fla., La. Tech, North Texas

Bad teams: Middle Tenn St. (twice), Utah St. (twice), South Florida, N. Illinois, UTEP, Houston

I-AA teams: Western Carolina

This is far from scientific. Some of the above teams could be shifted up or down. I tried to recollect how they were the season each team played them while also taking into account the conference they are from and how they've done on average. Syracuse hasn't been that good in recent years, but have done decently and are in a BCS conference so I kept them in good/reputable. Southern Miss has actually been better the last several years but plays in a weaker conference so they also got the nod. Both could be bumped down for instance. I know some of the "bad" teams have had a good season or two but in general, they aren't very good programs.

Bottom line for me is there isn't really a hair's worth of difference in those OOC slates. We've played more "good" (subjectively) teams, but Bama has played so-called good teams more times. On the other hand, we've played five games against I-AA opponents to their one. Granted, Western Ky. was the I-AA national champs at least one of those years and could probably have knocked off teams like La. Monroe, Middle Tenn St. or Buffalo, but it's still I-AA.

I'd love to see us schedule better OOC opponents like we used to. But I understand with an eight-game SEC slate (9 if you make the title game), it's hard to pack the rest of the schedule with tough OOC games...particularly this year with no off week. But that's a story for a different thread. The point is, the difference in AU and UAT's OOC schedule is negligible lately.

I love reading ya'lls arguments :lol:

That's because you pups don't have a decent board to argue with each other on. :)

Keep trying to tell you to start one.

If you find one, let me know. For the love of god, I am still searching.

DawgPost.com is better but I can't stand UGASports.com sometimes. Unless you are down on your knees for Mark Richt, you better just not post.

Archived