Irons on Showboating

DKW 86

http://www.auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=578777

No more showboating

Although Irons made a great run, he added a little flare at the end, slowing up to "toy" with the defensive chasers. It's something he's not proud of.

"I toyed with him a little bit and that's not very classy of myself. That's not something I would do, but they were talking a lot of trash," said Irons. "I'm a humble back and humble person but when you get a team that's talking a lot of trash, it gets under my skin.

"When you get a team talking like that, you have to say something. You have to let them know that you're a dominant offense. It's something you have to let them know. It wasn't very classy, though and I won't do it again."

Just an idea, but i bet David Irons Sr got a hold of him, maybe CTT too. We dont need a TO on this team. And the NFL doesnt need another TO either.

Just an idea, but i bet David Irons Sr got a hold of him, maybe CTT too. We dont need a TO on this team. And the NFL doesnt need another TO either.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that this morning in the Decatur Daily. Between the chewing out he got on the sidelines and the even worse chewing out he got from pops, I would bet any amount of money the Kenny does not do it again.

T.O. and Kenny shouldn't even be named in the same sentence.

Kenny's work ethic, character, etc., is way beyond anything T.O. will ever have. The showboating that is being mentioned wasn't even a big deal. Props to Kenny for being classy.

For those of you that went to the game, did you notice that David Irons hung around after the team went to the locker room after pregame warmups and was jawing and pointing and taunting(?) the wsu players. An AU coach had to come over and get him to go to the locker room. I think the Irons' boys need to let their talking be done by actions not words. This taunting is not good for us. Trash talking is sadly now, a part of the game but it needs to be keep under control. I don't mean to single out the Irons' brothers, I know that it is done by quite a few of the players, but they were the most obvious and they will bear the brunt of media and rival talk due to their stature and visability on this team.

I don't know who the player was, but one of our guys almost got tackled by one of our coaches during a punt. It was a punt by WSU to Auburn towards the student side of the endzone. The punt rolled out of bounds, but one of our guys got a bit to close. Had the ball rolled or bounced an odd way it would have hit him. Our coach was so pissed he slipped to the ground as he grabbed our player by the uniform. I thought he was going to take the player down with him. It had me laughing.

It said Fannin on the back of the guys jersey.. Could have been Mario Fannin on that punt return.

yep.. it was him. TV really showed it well. He got an ear full from a coach.

Vatz,

The showboating the Kenny did is a big deal. I caught it when he did it and the commentators on TV caught it too. That is not the kind of "face" CTT wants the program to have. That stuff has to be nipped in the bud. As far as TO goes, the comparison is justified. Until this year, TO's work ethic has never been questioned, only his attitude. That attitude and showboating had a starting point. Kenny's is nowhere near as bad as TO, that is for sure, but if what he did is left unchecked, it can start to blossom into the ugly monster that is TO. As the great Barney Fyffe would say, "You need to nip it in the bud!"

And the NFL doesnt need another TO either.

I wish there were dozens of TOs in the NFL. They are the only thing that makes the game interesting.

Sorry, but it guys like TO that turn off alot of people to the NFL. If it was not for the fact I am a loyal Dolphins and Redskins fan and that some of the AU players were on their rosters now, I would probably watch none of the NFL just because of players like TO. If the majority of fans enjoyed the crap that TO does, then the XFL would not have failed.

Sound like he's being remorseful here so I don't see the need to jump on the guys case so hard. Even if he wasn't being remorseful I'd say ease up a little. He plays hard, he gets excited. He recognizes that there is a problem and he's working on it. I say lay off the kid a little bit, but thats just me.

The TO comparison is a wee bit over the top. jmo.

Kenny's work ethic, character, etc., is way beyond anything T.O. will ever have. The showboating that is being mentioned wasn't even a big deal. Props to Kenny for being classy.

It was a big deal. Imagine that 58-yd TD run being called back due a 15-yd unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting. There was nothing "classy" about KI's behavior at the end of that run. KI needs to learn not to let the trash talking get to him. Rushing for 183 yds on 20 carries says plenty.

I think some of you are totally missing the point on the TO comment. Let's not get tunnel vision when reading comments. Nobody was saying he is like TO right now. I believe the point was that showboating, if allowed to continue, would turn a person into another TO.

I have no problem with Kenny since he realizes what he was done was wrong. He knows it and admits it. That shows he is listening to the coaches and his pop. However, I do have a problem with some that said the incident was no big deal. It was a big deal for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Again, Kenny admits it was classless and the wrong thing to do and we need to accept that. But we don't need to look at things like that when they happen and say "no big deal".

"Just an idea, but i bet David Irons Sr got a hold of him, maybe CTT too"

Coach Gran chewed him out immediatly after the touchdown.

It was a big deal. Imagine that 58-yd TD run being called back due a 15-yd unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting.

Imagine having a rule book for NCAA football. The taunting would be a dead-ball penalty enforced after the play. Touchdown would stand.

"The showboating that is being mentioned wasn't even a big deal."

It was a big deal for a few reasons.

1) It nearly cost a TD as he was only inches from going out of bounds.

2) Even after he scored the TD he followed the Washington player about 25 yards taunting him by yelling smack at him. Kicking off 15 yards back could have given them great starting position as to the kickoff going through the end zone as they did all night.

3) Stuff like that reflects poorly on our beloved program. We are supposed to be better than that.

I do not care who it is any behaviour like that is unacceptable in my opinion.

For those of you that went to the game, did you notice that David Irons hung around after the team went to the locker room after pregame warmups and was jawing and pointing and taunting(?) the wsu players. An AU coach had to come over and get him to go to the locker room. I think the Irons' boys need to let their talking be done by actions not words. This taunting is not good for us. Trash talking is sadly now, a part of the game but it needs to be keep under control. I don't mean to single out the Irons' brothers, I know that it is done by quite a few of the players, but they were the most obvious and they will bear the brunt of media and rival talk due to their stature and visability on this team.

I'm sort of mixed on this issue....I love how classy our guys are off the field and on the field (praying every time any player went down, and most times they were Washington State guys). Having said that of course they'll run their mouths, and I don't necessarily like trash talk, but backing it up helps, and also from a corner's perspective if he's in a receiver's head and the guy gets annoyed he'll probably lose focus and that helps us out. As long as it's just trash talk and not poking eyes, or cleat stabs like the little Vick, I'm willing to tolerate some of it.....but I most definitely see where you are coming from as the media and rivals will try to make something big out of it, even if it is not much. I was entertained by Kenny doing what he did, but also nervous about it, because after seeing what happened to Georgia's punt returner yesterday, celebrating too early can cost you......

I agree that private trash talking between players on the field is part of the psychological game these days, but you'd better be able to back it up. Public showboating that gets caught on cameras and broadcast on the air is little different, however; it does not reflect positively on the team and is something I hope we won't tolerate.

I was entertained by Kenny doing what he did, but also nervous about it, because after seeing what happened to Georgia's punt returner yesterday, celebrating too early can cost you......

To be fair, I don't think Henderson was show-boating at all when he fumbled it. He just wanted to put the ball in one hand and hold it in the air. Nothing really show-boating about that, imo.

Simply put, both David and Kenny are great human beings. I've seen alot of you on this thread comment on that very fact.

Both are also very competitive players. Mix that in with their humor side, and you have quite the personality.

The fact that some of you said the coaches talked to him, his family, etc.. It shouldn't even be noteworthy. The problem was fixed. This team is no Virginia Tech and never will be.

It took alot of guts for Kenny to admit it in the open, and it alot more class to say he would never do it again.

How many players can you find around college that would do that? Not too many.

Here is a thing to consider...

What is the difference between Chad Johnson and T.O.? Chad Johnson is a major showboat and the media and his teammates LOVE him..and its because he does his thing and then shuts his mouth and plays...he never badmouths his own team and his showboating doesn't affect his performance. He is a classy dude who has fun with football...

T.O. runs his mouth and badmouths his own team.... That is what turns everyone off on T.O.

KI has never said anything bad about his teammates or anything like that...KI should show off a little...don't worry about it everyone...KI shouldn't be TO after what he did...MAYBE Chad Johnson...

P.s. - Chad Johnson is the only exciting thing about the NFL...I watch the Bengals every weekend because of him.

Here is a thing to consider...

What is the difference between Chad Johnson and T.O.? Chad Johnson is a major showboat and the media and his teammates LOVE him..and its because he does his thing and then shuts his mouth and plays...he never badmouths his own team and his showboating doesn't affect his performance. He is a classy dude who has fun with football...

T.O. runs his mouth and badmouths his own team.... That is what turns everyone off on T.O.

KI has never said anything bad about his teammates or anything like that...KI should show off a little...don't worry about it everyone...KI shouldn't be TO after what he did...MAYBE Chad Johnson...

P.s. - Chad Johnson is the only exciting thing about the NFL...I watch the Bengals every weekend because of him.

I didnt mean that KI was TO. Chad Johnson seems fine to me though. But we dont need any showboating. Unfortunately KI doing the "200 yards" thing at :lsu: last year may be a defining moment for hism beacause he said it and backed it up.

Archived