Irons on Showboating

DKW 86

T.O. and Kenny shouldn't even be named in the same sentence.

Kenny's work ethic, character, etc., is way beyond anything T.O. will ever have. The showboating that is being mentioned wasn't even a big deal. Props to Kenny for being classy.

I can not stand TO. But the guy was an outstanding work ethic, one of the best in the league. Did you see TO play in SB 39, 9rec/122yds? The guy worked his tail off in order to play in the game coming off a broken ankle. The guy is a basketcase, but he does prepare himself to play.

I was entertained by Kenny doing what he did, but also nervous about it, because after seeing what happened to Georgia's punt returner yesterday, celebrating too early can cost you......

To be fair, I don't think Henderson was show-boating at all when he fumbled it. He just wanted to put the ball in one hand and hold it in the air. Nothing really show-boating about that, imo.

By definition, any pre-goal line celebration is showboating and boneheaded.

Guest BoStillKnows

QUOTE(vatz22au @ Sep 3 2006, 11:53 AM)

Kenny's work ethic, character, etc., is way beyond anything T.O. will ever have. The showboating that is being mentioned wasn't even a big deal. Props to Kenny for being classy.

I can not stand TO. But the guy was an outstanding work ethic, one of the best in the league. Did you see TO play in SB 39, 9rec/122yds? The guy worked his tail off in order to play in the game coming off a broken ankle. The guy is a basketcase, but he does prepare himself to play.

Are you talking about the guy who has done everything possible to avoid pre-season practice?

I was entertained by Kenny doing what he did, but also nervous about it, because after seeing what happened to Georgia's punt returner yesterday, celebrating too early can cost you......

To be fair, I don't think Henderson was show-boating at all when he fumbled it. He just wanted to put the ball in one hand and hold it in the air. Nothing really show-boating about that, imo.

:thumbsup:

Where is this definition?

There was zero show-boating by Henderson.

Are you not seeing the same replays over and over that we are seeing? He had the ball lifted in the air in celebration before he had even crossed the goal line. It may not be as excessive as others have been before, but it was still showboating and he saw what that will get you.

QUOTE(vatz22au @ Sep 3 2006, 11:53 AM)

Are you talking about the guy who has done everything possible to avoid pre-season practice?

Yep the same guy. He's not sitting on the couch eating bon-bons. The guy just does not want to practice. He's been in the league for 11 years, has 10.5 K yards recieivng and 101 TDs. You don't earn those numbers by being a slug. I don't agree with him avoiding practice or his tantrums, but the guy puts up incredible numbers. <_<

Are you not seeing the same replays over and over that we are seeing?

Of course and I am still trying to see where this show-boating occured....I have seen the replay more then anyone else here thanks to UGA posters ftp'ing it online and not once has showboating crossed my mind when seeing it.

Stupidity does by trying to put the ball in one hand while running but not show-boating.

Where is this definition?

In the mind of any objective person. Until you score a touchdown, there is nothing to celebrate. Celebrating a run that has not resulted in any points yet, is showboating and damn stupid. But I appreciate him providing an instructive video for football players everywhere. I'll bet he doesn't do it again.

Guest BoStillKnows

Yep the same guy. He's not sitting on the couch eating bon-bons. The guy just does not want to practice. He's been in the league for 11 years, has 10.5 K yards recieivng and 101 TDs. You don't earn those numbers by being a slug. I don't agree with him avoiding practice or his tantrums, but the guy puts up incredible numbers.

T.O. does produce good numbers; but, if you consider character, he is a slug. He is a selfish SOB who puts himself ahead of his team. He is missing a great opportunity and he does not even realize it. He is too self-centered.

Yep the same guy. He's not sitting on the couch eating bon-bons. The guy just does not want to practice. He's been in the league for 11 years, has 10.5 K yards recieivng and 101 TDs. You don't earn those numbers by being a slug. I don't agree with him avoiding practice or his tantrums, but the guy puts up incredible numbers.

T.O. does produce good numbers; but, if you consider character, he is a slug. He is a selfish SOB who puts himself ahead of his team. He is missing a great opportunity and he does not even realize it. He is too self-centered.

Absolutely agree. But he's a talented nut job.

TO does have a work eithic, its just centered around what HE wants to do. The guy watches HIS diet very meticulously, and he's very regimented with HIS workouts. The problem is, its all about HIM. The guy is one of the best, but I can't help but wonder what he could be if he was a team player.

Are you not seeing the same replays over and over that we are seeing?

Of course and I am still trying to see where this show-boating occured....I have seen the replay more then anyone else here thanks to UGA posters ftp'ing it online and not once has showboating crossed my mind when seeing it.

Stupidity does by trying to put the ball in one hand while running but not show-boating.

I'm betting you watched the Olympica, saw Lindsey Jacobellis try her little stunt, crash to the ground and then thought to yourself -- "that wasn't showboating."

Simple question will solve this, South. If he keeps the ball tucked away, does he drop it and give the opposition a touchback? If the answer is probably yes, then he wasn't showboating. If the answer is probably no, then he was.

I'm betting you watched the Olympica, saw Lindsey Jacobellis try her little stunt, crash to the ground and then thought to yourself -- "that wasn't showboating."

You would lose your bet then

Simple question will solve this, South. If he keeps the ball tucked away, does he drop it and give the opposition a touchback? If the answer is probably yes, then he wasn't showboating. If the answer is probably no, then he was.

The guy was putting the ball in one hand to hold it up. I don't consider that to be show-boating whatsoever. It was stupidity to try putting the ball from two to one hand while running.

You would lose your bet then

The guy was putting the ball in one hand to hold it up. I don't consider that to be show-boating whatsoever. It was stupidity to try putting the ball from two to one hand while running.

If you don't want to see it, we can't explain it to ya.

I have seen it numerous times.

And yet you don't see it.

Look, showboating is on a spectrum, and, granted, holding up the ball before crossing the goal-line is pretty low-level showboating these days. But it was hardly ever done 35 years ago when such stuff was really frowned upon.

Not that I usually quote "The Bear", but I do like the quote attributed to him after seeing one of his players celebrate a bit much after scoring a touchdown: "When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before."

In this case, his pre-TD celebration cost his team the TD. Showboating.

Show boating by definition is trying to cause attention to be turned towards the person...how exactly is putting a ball in one hand and raising it up making people look at him?

I don't see it because it doesn't exist.

Some people just want to find a reason to say he show-boated because he is a rival player of UGA who did something stupid. Was not show-boating though

Show boating by definition is trying to cause attention to be turned towards the person...how exactly is putting a ball in one hand and raising it up making people look at him?

I don't see it because it doesn't exist.

Some people just want to find a reason to say he show-boated because he is a rival player of UGA who did something stupid. Was not show-boating though

"how exactly is putting a ball in one hand and raising it up making people look at him?"

Huh? Who is making people look at? The band? The guy on row 7? The cheerleaders?

Look, Mr. Sensitive, Kenny Irons was showboating and no one here is denying that. Kenny could have cost his team some points, and is lucky he didn't. It's about the behavior, not the team the person is a member of.

Look, Mr. Sensitive, Kenny Irons was showboating and no one here is denying that. Kenny could have cost his team some points, and is lucky he didn't. It's about the behavior, not the team the person is a member of.

If anyone is being sensitive about it, it is you. I am laughing as I defend Henderson. I think most if not all UGA fans chuckle at it.

If you want to think he was show-boating, more power to you. He wasn't.

I think some of you are totally missing the point on the TO comment. Let's not get tunnel vision when reading comments. Nobody was saying he is like TO right now. I believe the point was that showboating, if allowed to continue, would turn a person into another TO.

I have no problem with Kenny since he realizes what he was done was wrong. He knows it and admits it. That shows he is listening to the coaches and his pop. However, I do have a problem with some that said the incident was no big deal. It was a big deal for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Again, Kenny admits it was classless and the wrong thing to do and we need to accept that. But we don't need to look at things like that when they happen and say "no big deal".

Don't put words in my mouth, thank you. I said the comparison to to was a little over the top and imo it was. No one said it was a direct comparison. (assuming you were referring to me).

I for one will say that imo it is no "big deal". Not even a blip on the radar screen. If it were to worsen then maybe it becomes an issue. I just don't see a need to ride his case in public for this, especially with his statement. It was really not that bad. He wasn't even penalized.

Why in the heck does everyone have to try and make such a freaking big deal out of tiny little things like this? I guess it's the whole 24 hr news mentality that has engulfed this world. Gotta blow everything out of proportion.

Just an idea, but i bet David Irons Sr got a hold of him, maybe CTT too. We dont need a TO on this team. And the NFL doesnt need another TO either.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that this morning in the Decatur Daily. Between the chewing out he got on the sidelines and the even worse chewing out he got from pops, I would bet any amount of money the Kenny does not do it again.

NOT A BIG DEAL?

WHAT ABOUT THECOMMENTATORS DISCUSSION ON ESPN2?

I pray it won't happen again!

Rocket...out

Just an idea, but i bet David Irons Sr got a hold of him, maybe CTT too. We dont need a TO on this team. And the NFL doesnt need another TO either.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that this morning in the Decatur Daily. Between the chewing out he got on the sidelines and the even worse chewing out he got from pops, I would bet any amount of money the Kenny does not do it again.

NOT A BIG DEAL?

WHAT ABOUT THECOMMENTATORS DISCUSSION ON ESPN2?

I pray it won't happen again!

Rocket...out

Why are you replying to our posts like that? We are the ones that thought it was a big deal.

Archived