'Canes, 'Noles

rexbo

no longer clash of Titans

Instead of showcasing two national title contenders, the primetime Sunshine State Showdown turned into another slog-fest Monday night. Yet another chance for the entire country to see that neither the Hurricanes nor the Seminoles _ with a combined seven national titles since 1983 _ are to be feared these days.

I think the ACC is going to bring both of these schools down, not these 2 bringing everyone else up. What top Florida recruit wants to play against perpetually unranked Maryland and NC State? The top guys are going to look to the SEC or the rest of the country so they can play in more than one or 2 games a year against ranked teams. And it will be even worse when Bobby Bowden is gone, FSU will drop faster than Bama did after Bryant died...

It was more like the "clash of the mediocre defenses with the even worse offenses".

Neither of those defenses were mediocre

How do you mean? I saw nothing outstanding. I saw two poor offensive teams, with so many miscues and poor O-line blocking, that the defenses did not have to do too much to stop them. If they defenses were that good against such poor offenses, then the score should have been 3-0 or something like that. The touchdowns that were scored in the game was because of less then stellar defense if you ask me.

Two things jumped out at me. Miami's D-Line was in the FSU backfield on most every running play, and the FSU linebackers (especially Jones #10) were in the Miami backfield on almost every play, run or pass.

The question behind both is whether those guys are that good or both O-Lines are that bad.

The next 3-4 weeks will answer that question for both teams.

I haven't stopped laughing though that Herbie picked the Canes to be in the BCS MNC game. To think, I actually respected his opinion before that goof. Oh well, maybe it was only an isolated incident. :big:

It was more like the "clash of the mediocre defenses with the even worse offenses".

Neither of those defenses were mediocre

BG, they got a total of 3 yards of rushing. We dont know about the Ds. Because the Os were so woefully inept.

no longer clash of Titans

Instead of showcasing two national title contenders, the primetime Sunshine State Showdown turned into another slog-fest Monday night. Yet another chance for the entire country to see that neither the Hurricanes nor the Seminoles _ with a combined seven national titles since 1983 _ are to be feared these days.

I think the ACC is going to bring both of these schools down, not these 2 bringing everyone else up. What top Florida recruit wants to play against perpetually unranked Maryland and NC State? The top guys are going to look to the SEC or the rest of the country so they can play in more than one or 2 games a year against ranked teams. And it will be even worse when Bobby Bowden is gone, FSU will drop faster than Bama did after Bryant died...

I think you are totally right about FSU when bowden leaves...Except....FSU's drop really started several years ago when mark richt left for UGA.... YES, it will get worse when Bowden leaves...

What we saw last night were two mediocre football teams where one was trying to screw up less than the other. It was a horrible game to watch, and those offenses were so inept, I don't think its very fair to say either of these teams has even an average defense yet, much less a "stellar" defense.

I believe the defenses were that good. My reasoning behind this, the speed of the defenses, blitzes and stunts the defensive coordinator called. That kind of speed is tough to defend, just ask any of our opponents. Without an offensive coordinator, like Borges, most teams will show up like Miami and FSU did last night. I turned it off about middle of the 3rd, and turned it back on to catch the last 30 seconds, actually I woke up.

Is anyone else as sick of this "Rivalry" as I am. I've been to several of these games and it's a pathetic atmosphere in the first place. Seriously! I would call the atmosphere for that contest no more electric than say...AU/Ole Miss. It's a joke. Yes, there are usually national implications riding on the game but last night was a farce. It was on 3-4 different stations, being shown with quazzuple split screens and ESPN radio talk show hosts and Instant Classics and Telemundo and the Delta In-flight movie...

And the game itself...SUCKED!!!

Please, please, please do not let these two teams play in the ACC Championship game. Is that possible??

The ACC is bringing down Miami and FSU, not becaused NCST and Maryland are always unranked and kids want to play elsewhere. The reason why is because the middle of the pack teams are better than they used to be and Miami is not used to that because the Big East was and still is a joke. Miami and FSU's defenses were good and they looked better because of the lack of a running game from either team. But when was the last time the Cane's or the Noles had a good runningback?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Your offense really has to suck to only manage 3 rushing yards. I would still be sick at the stomach if Auburn would have only had 3 rushing yards last Saturday.

Not to mention FSU's passing attack, which basically consisted of Drew Weatherford throwing a fade and letting the receiver out jump the shorter DB.

"I think the ACC is going to bring both of these schools down..."

I don't credit the ACC for their demise, I credit the fact that these 2 programs rocked when they were FAR and above the fastest rosters in the country. Now teams like Perdue (!), w/ 9 FL kids starting on their defense, are drawing the significant FL talent out of state. Frankly, all the speed doesn't come FROM FL anymore either, HS coaches know it's calue across the board annd thhe rest of the country has caaught up to FSU & UM.

Speedy, hard hitting defense against horrible play calling is a low scoring game. Even horrible offenses can muster up more than 2 yards in a game against mediocre defenses.

One thing that stood out to me is that coker called time out immediatly after they punted the ball to FSU, and the announcer said this is a good call.

Why is he being praised for wasting a good 8-10 seconds? It isn't that hard to figure out that that was a horrible decision. The new clock rules aren't that hard to understand. If you pay me millions, I'll sure as hell figure out a simple rule change.

Portis is from Miami. That was only a few years ago.

Yes but what about FSU running backs? Miami and FSU used to reload at runningback every year but now with other schools plucking the talent it doesn't happen like that anymore.

I don't think the problems with these teams has to do with the skill position players. Both have had their share of top flight running backs the last few years and as far back as you want to go. I think the O-line, especially at FSU, is just brutal. Those guys don't even look like ball players and the rushing statistics they've accumulated the past few years, speak for themselves.

Archived