Dede's speed, instincts key Tigers' defense

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../609060365/1002

AUBURN REPORT: Dede's speed, instincts key Tigers' defense

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

Karibi Dede's extensive studying of his team's defense and the opponent's offense allows him to play all three linebacker positions and be a coach on the field.

AUBURN -- Long before Karibi Dede was considered Auburn's most knowledgeable defender, he was a clueless little punk.

Or at least that's how he tells it.

"When I first got to the (Southeastern Conference), back when I was young and skinny, I thought that I'd outrun everybody," Dede said. "'Fastest man on the planet' is how I felt."

Not anymore.

Dede has emerged as Auburn's most dynamic defender, now capable of manning all three linebacker spots with nearly equal aplomb. That's not an easy task for a 216-pound player who began his college career at safety.

He's a good tackler.

Coaches rave about Dede's insticts.

Yet there's one part of Dede's game that rises above everything else he offers. Teammates often stand in awe of just how complete Dede's understanding of defensive philosophy has become.

It's more than just alignments now.

Dede plots.

Just like defensive coordinator Will Muschamp and linebackers coach James Willis, Dede spends time thinking along with the opposing offensive coordinator.

"Dede's one of the smartest guys I've ever met when it comes to football," defensive end Quentin Groves said. "He's an extension of coach Willis and coach Muschamp. If I have a question, I can go to Dede and he can explain it like he's the defensive coordinator. He studies it that much."

Dede began his career as a safety out of a Virginia prep school. He was 185 pounds at that point, and even then gained accolades for his awareness.

A lack of top-end speed necessitated a move to linebacker before the 2004 season. He spent the next two years shuttling between weak- and strong-side linebacker, earning one start in '04 and a dozen in '05.

Even after the move to linebacker, Dede felt he was a superior athletic talent.

Doubt didn't materialize until Dede attempted to shuck a 300-pound offensive lineman. That didn't go so well.

"I realized you can't always run through a brick wall," Dede said. "Sometimes, you've got to outsmart them and anticipate where plays are going and beat them to the punch."

Since that epiphany, Dede has become a more valuable player.

He's playing on the weak side these days, though his responsibilities more closely resemble middle linebacker. That's important because middle linebacker Merrill Johnson, a redshirt freshman, played only a handful of snaps against Washington State.

Auburn preferred to use nickelbacks Zach Gilbert and Pat Lee to help defend WSU's passing attack. That left Dede in complete control of real-time defensive administration.

Dede constantly prompts pre-snap shifts with his suggestions. It's common to see him move three teammates before the snap.

Sometimes he's just correcting a teammate's mistake.

In other cases, Dede is making his own decisions out there.

"I know what (the quarterback) is trying to do a lot of times," Dede said. "Early in the game, one of the first people I go to is (Muschamp), and I let him know immediately what the other team is trying to do. I don't think some of the younger guys understand what the coordinator on the offensive side is trying to do to the defense."

Muschamp said he appreciates the help.

If Dede didn't study so meticulously -- the senior said he spends up to eight hours per week reading and re-reading the playbook -- Muschamp said he wouldn't be willing to concede any control.

With Dede, though, the latitude seems justified.

"He's a guy that makes a lot of plays, make a lot of checks at the line of scrimmage," Muschamp said. "He does a good job of getting us in and out of the right looks."

----------

Injury update: Linebacker Steve Gandy, who has missed three weeks because of a major leg injury, returned to practice on Tuesday morning.

He hasn't yet been cleared for contact drills. Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said Gandy, who needed invasive surgery to stop internal bleeding in his left thigh, could be ready by midseason.

"Other than that, everybody should be healthy and ready to go," Tuberville said.

----------

Conner will play: MSU coaches said earlier in the week that top wideout Omarr Conner would be moved from No. 1 wideout to backup quarterback.

New starter Tray Rutland says that's not the case.

"He's still going to be our No. 1 wideout," Rutland said Tuesday afternoon. "He's a playmaker. He'll be on the field regardless. That's a key factor for us."

Starting quarterback Michael Henig, a Jeff Davis graduate, suffered a broken collarbone against South Carolina last week. That prompted MSU coaches to talk about moving Conner, a former quarterback, into reserve duty behind Rutland.

----------

Still striving: Sen'Derrick Marks and Pat Sims remain co-starters at defensive tackle.

Marks started the Washington State game, though Sims earned slightly higher marks on defensive coordinator Will Muchamp's productivity scale. Assistant coach Don Dunn said Marks and Sims are in a dead heat.

"It probably would be a better feel to come off the bench and play," Marks said. "For some people, it's better to start. It doesn't really matter to me."

As Karibe comes on, I'm beginning to wonder if Blackmon and/or Sears will have a starting job when they come off suspension. One or the other may find it hard to work back into the starting spot.

As Karibe comes on, I'm beginning to wonder if Blackmon and/or Sears will have a starting job when they come off suspension. One or the other may find it hard to work back into the starting spot.

Wouldn't Sears easily start over Johnson?

Absolutely. I did not think Johnson had a very good game. Wrong angles, lack of size, etc. We need to get some type of bulk at LB and Sears provides that along with mucho experience.

Archived