Russell poised to leave mark

DKW 86

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/....xml&coll=1

LSU quarterback has big chance at signature moment vs. Auburn

Thursday, September 14, 2006

By Jim Kleinpeter

BATON ROUGE -- LSU junior JaMarcus Russell has numbers most quarterbacks would like to have.

His career yardage (3,945), completion percentage (58) and touchdowns to interceptions (2 to 1) are solid. Russell is 16-2 as a starter the past two season, and for the finicky fans who think good quarterbacks are about more than statistics, Russell has shown enough moxie to guide LSU on six fourth-quarter comebacks.

With all that on his side, Russell didn't seem to get the requisite love in a puzzling offseason.

Now, he is poised to wipe away any doubts as he guides his team into a blockbuster of a game. If Russell, a native of Mobile, Ala., can guide his team to a win at No. 3 Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, his bandwagon will fill beyond capacity.

A victory would give No. 6 LSU the inside track to the Southeastern Conference's West title and boost its national aspirations. It also would provide Russell with a signature moment he is perceived to lack. While he guided LSU to victories against Florida, Auburn and Alabama last season, those were seen as games won by LSU's defense, not necessarily by Russell's ability.

Russell won't say publicly that Saturday's game has special meeting, but teammates said he would like nothing better than to get that signature victory on his home soil.

"Since he's from Alabama, he feels this is going to be his come out game this year," senior wide receiver Dwayne Bowe said. "All through the week and last week he's been telling me, 'I need you to come through for me.' I told him, 'You work with me, I'll work with you.' I told him I'd work extra hard this week, so we can go out there and have fun. He said this is what he came here for."

Russell was razor sharp in his first two outings, against Louisiana-Lafayette and Arizona, completing 26 of 37 passes for 449 yards and five touchdowns with one interception. But it's the manner in which he's compiled the statistics, not the numbers. Russell has never looked more poised or comfortable in the pocket. His decision-making was near flawless, and his presence in the huddle was reassuring to teammates, who voted him offensive captain.

"I feel I became a better person, better teammate and better leader, and that all leads to playing good," Russell said. "I've been here a while, so I kind of know the ropes. It's being comfortable with yourself first and comfortable with everyone else after. Go out there and get 'er done."

Russell declined the opportunity to put any extra weight on Saturday's game. It's part of his maturation.

"I look forward to a game like that every week," he said. "I'm not going to single this game out. It's just another game we're working in practice for."

Part of Russell's lack of acceptance problems from some fans stems from the hype of his signing three years ago. He was a Parade All-American, and one of the most sought after prep quarterbacks in the nation.

As a redshirt freshman, Russell couldn't wrest the job from senior Marcus Randall, so the two split time.

Last season, Russell threw a key interception that helped Tennessee rally from a 21-0 halftime deficit to win in overtime at Tiger Stadium.

Against Florida, he injured his right, throwing wrist that nagged him the rest of the season, and got little support from the running game because of an ankle injury to senior Joseph Addai. Throughout the season, his receivers betrayed him with several dropped passes.

The season ended on a sour note for Russell against Georgia in the SEC title game at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The Bulldogs defeated LSU 34-14, and Russell separated his non-throwing shoulder.

Adding fuel to the fire was sophomore quarterback Matt Flynn's solid performance in LSU's 40-3 victory against Miami in the Peach Bowl. Then, while Russell had surgery on his shoulder and wrist, Flynn and highly touted freshman Ryan Perrilloux received all the snaps in spring practice.

The quarterback position was the talk LSU fans throughout the offseason.

LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher said he was worried about Russell. He forcefully said on media day it was a matter of fans being intrigued by the unknown, and that Russell had nothing to prove.

"I've always known what he can do and how he plays," Fisher said. "There's always mistakes. You never play a perfect game. You always look to improve. I think he improves every day. He's done it in the past, and I think he'll continue to do it."

Auburn knows Russell's potential. Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp held the same job at LSU during Russell's redshirt year, when Russell played scout-team quarterback against Muschamp's defense.

"He's very talented and is coming into his own now," Muschamp said. "For a quarterback, that timetable is right for him to be the type of player he's supposed to be."

Auburn's defenders equally are impressed from seeing Russell firsthand last year and on tape this season. On his second pass of the season against the Ragin' Cajuns, moving to his left and just before being hit, Russell flicked the ball 50 yards in the air for a touchdown to freshman wide receiver Brandon LaFell.

"What problems doesn't he cause?" Auburn defensive end Quentin Groves said. "I think he can throw it as far on the run as he does in the pocket. That's a bad thing for us."

Said senior defensive back David Irons: "This year you can tell he's a better reader (of defenses). He's not just looking at one guy, like he did last year."

No, it's not last year's JaMarcus Russell. It's one who is ready to take his game to the next level.

"Most definitely, it seems he's poised to have a breakout season," Bowe said. "He's more calm in the pocket and in the huddle. He gets the play off. He's relaxed, and he's doing it like a veteran."

? Hopefully a big grease spot on the turf of Pat Dye Field, a la Brodie Croyle last year!

My thoughts exactly.

I hope it is the imprint of his back in the turf in Jordan Hare! :au::au::au:

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!

Archived