Objective opinions

thibodauxkev

That was a great game by both teams. This is now and has been for awhile the best rivalry in the SEC.

But the officiating in this one is hard to swallow.

Here are some opinions:

Arkansas:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,76480.0.html

Florida:

http://mb21.scout.com/fufinsiderfrm5.showM...=21&stop=40

Georgia:

http://www.dawgrun.com/message_board/georg...r/16/453280.php

With that said even if we get the calls maybe we still lose. I think Auburn and LSU are very close, just hate to see the outcome affected by officals.

Good Luck.

That was a great game by both teams. This is now and has been for awhile the best rivalry in the SEC.

Here are some opinions:

Arkansas:

Florida:

Georgia:

With that said even if we get the calls maybe we still lose. I think Auburn and LSU are very close, just hate to see the outcome affected by officals.

Good Luck.

sniff sniff...tell me what Bowe got away with with 22 seconds left (replay)?

Y'all should let it go! It went both ways!!

Interference has to inhibit the receiver from his ability/opporunity to catch the ball. The ball was tipped away from the receiver and therefore never had any opportunity to catch the ball.

Interference has to inhibit the receiver from his ability/opporunity to catch the ball. The ball was tipped away from the receiver and therefore never had any opportunity to catch the ball.

I say again...like when LSU intercepted the ball...but still got called for PI. Intercepted means even LESS chance for the receiver to catch the ball.

I say again...like when LSU intercepted the ball...but still got called for PI. Intercepted means even LESS chance for the receiver to catch the ball.

You're wrong. Go back and look at both plays. There is NO WAY the lsu receiver makes a play on the ball, he is behind where it was coming down and heading in the opposite direction, and it was tipped away so it was uncatchable. Not to mention the contact was minor and in no way affected his ability to catch the ball. If the AU guy hadn't gotten creamed on the play he would have been right where the ball came down. Not saying he would have caught it, but who knows.

Blather on if you must.

Forget about the tip...he's talking about the contact between Gilbert and Doucet. Since the ball was tipped away from the play, could it still be PI on Gilbert?

The call was questionable...let's at least be objective here.

36576717f50542cdaf251b33d74c33a5ti6.jpg

a36cdabcdb394a9aacbc771bfdb42f18tg0.jpg

I agree it's questionable and maybe I'm wrong, but there is NO WAY the lsu guy could have caught the ball due to it being tipped away. The contact was minor at best before the tip. LSU wanting pi on that call is wanting charity imo.

I agree it's questionable and maybe I'm wrong, but there is NO WAY the lsu guy could have caught the ball due to it being tipped away.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Is it like when the ball is thrown over a receiver, refs can't call PI because the pass is uncatchable. Does that rule apply here since the ball was tipped away from the play, making it uncatchable and that's why the refs overruled the PI call?

The contact was minor at best before the tip.

It's definitely not minor...look at the second pic I posted. But if they overruled the PI because of the tip (pass being uncatchable), then it all makes sense and it's a good call.

Good call, Numa. Agree 100%

0% is over the top. You know that. He was exactly where the ball was coming down and is our best receiver. Much tougher catches are made all the time. The lsu guy creamed him and totally removed him from the play.

A guy in front and behind him so he couldn't have caught the ball? Puhleeeze.

Believe whatever you want, Numa and Cola agree with me! :)

Your guy never had a play on the ball that LSU intercepted either, yet we were still called for PI. You cant have it both ways.

Yes, we did although a catch was unlikely. No way your guy catches the ball.

Either way I'm about done debating this irrelevant subject.

Well I for one think that the ball wouldn't have been caught even if he wasn't interfered with because it was tipped, and there's no way he would have been able to dive back 8-10 yards in the opposite direction within a few milliseconds....at least I don't think he could have. I admit there was contact, but how much of it was really a timing issue, as how do we know that Gilbert wasn't timing it where he would have hit the receiver right as the ball was coming, and of course it was deflected out of nowhere, so perhaps the interference wouldn't have been interference if the ball came through because let's be honest this is all happening very very quickly, so gilber may have just been timing it right to stop the receiver from catching the ball, no one seems to mention this part.........

Just look at the pics on this thread. The ball has already been tipped away and gilbert is barely touching the guy. Once again the ball has been tipped away.

Wanting pi on that call is wanting charity. There, I said it again.

it just depends on your interpretation of the rule. is the ball uncatchable if the tip happens completely independent of the contact? obviously (and debating this is just dumb) doucet can't make the catch. the ball was way behind him, and brock makes the tip with or without gilbert there. so. it's not a question of whether he could catch it... it's a question of whether the contact takes away his ability to try.

the refs say no. they said, the tip made it uncatchable, and you can't try to catch something that's uncatchable. obviously i like the ruling, but i don't think i would've made it if i were reffing the game. i'll take it.

on the back to back pi's involving ct, the first was a weak call. bowe had more contact on the 21 yarder to get the ball in the redzone than ct ever did. BUT ct did push off, and the call was within the definition of the rules. the next play, the ball was clearly in the field of play and clearly in the line of his route; the contact definitely impeded his opportunity to catch a catchable ball (the interception actually makes the case harder for you b/c if a ball is actually caught in play then you'd have to prove he wasn't in the vicinity of the pass to prove that contact didn't matter). it was textbook pass interference. sorry.

The reason I posted this in the first place is for everyone to see what the general opinion of non LSU-Auburn fans are on the subject. This game involved more than one bad call (first half non-interference in the end zone was the worst). As a LSU fan I think we were robbed, most Auburn fans disagree, DUH! So I posted what the other objective opinions are. You be the judge.

LSU got its share of calls also. With 1:25 left in the first half on 4 and 6 a holding call went against Auburn that gave them a first down. That drive led to a FG.

Then with like 1:03, Russell fumbles the ball from around the 37 all the way to the 28 on a second down play. I believe the correct rule is that in the final 2 minutes of a half if the ball is fumbled forward the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble and not where the ball is recovered if by the offense.

If your going to come on here and talk about being objective, then start listing the calls in big situations that LSU got and that were wrong.

Also with 20 seconds left, on third and 11 Bowe (#80) comes across the middle and pushes Groves to the ground and its not called. Its very clear in the replay. Taylor was called for a small straight arm in the 4th quarter that would have resulted in a Auburn first down inside the redzone that could have lead to points.

The reason I posted this in the first place is for everyone to see what the general opinion of non LSU-Auburn fans are on the subject. This game involved more than one bad call (first half non-interference in the end zone was the worst). As a LSU fan I think we were robbed, most Auburn fans disagree, DUH! So I posted what the other objective opinions are. You be the judge.

Thibodauxkev, you make a good point. There's obvious bias on both sides. You'll only get objective opinions from non LSU - Auburn fans. Do you think anyone can do the opposite of what you did and find threads from different schools saying the overall officiating was fair or the that the officials favored LSU? If LSU would have managed to pull this game out would other school fans be saying that AU got robbed? I think they would be saying LSU won despite some really bad calls that went against them.

I noticed this post from an AU fan at half: "3-0. Oh well the team will make the adjustments and come back out firing. I'm not sold on having to pass yet. Cut down on the mental mistakes and we can win this. I hate to say it but :au: has had some calls go for them . Let's hope that keeps up." It did keep up.

Your guy never had a play on the ball that LSU intercepted either, yet we were still called for PI. You cant have it both ways.

Did you watch the game at all? He would have had a play on the ball had he not been wrestled to the ground before the ball got to where he would have been. There's no comparison there.

I've had enough with the whining toonces and their sympathizers. I suggest that all pass interference threads be moved to the Irrelevant Forum.

LSU got its share of calls also. With 1:25 left in the first half on 4 and 6 a holding call went against Auburn that gave them a first down. That drive led to a FG.

Bingo. And the holding call was over the middle when Russell had rolled to his right and thrown to a receiver in the flats. The "hold" came after that ball was in the air. It was completely bogus. If there had been a bull in the stands it would have defecated on the field at that moment.

The reason that a big deal is made of this call and the others is due to the timing of the call. H

If you move the first half play involving the fumble to the second half and reverse the rolls in a 3 point game then people would say that Auburn got screwed. That was huge play, cause instead of LSU being at 3 and 8 or so from the 37 (take into considerations the 3rd down conversion % which was poor) they got a first and 10 and moved into FG range. It was a call that could have affected whether LSU got 3 points or not.

In 04 you guys screamed that the refs shouldn't decide the game in the end and that the players should do it. Brock makes that play even if Gilbert has no contact with Doucet and the result is the same, to call the PI on a pass Doucet wouldn't have caught would be the refs deciding the game and not the players. The overturn does exactly what LSU fans said should have been done in 04.

So pick one, stop complaining about that one call cause PI or not the Auburn player would have stopped it, or stop complaining about 04 and support that refs should make calls like that in the finishing moments.

I have no problem admitting that Auburn got calls, but they had calls in big situations go against them.... which in this supposed thread about objective calls I have yet to see one of the LSU fans admit they got some calls that could have affected the outcome of the game.

Here are some opinions:

Arkansas:

Florida:

Georgia:

With that said even if we get the calls maybe we still lose. I think Auburn and LSU are very close, just hate to see the outcome affected by officals. Good Luck.

Dude ... don't be an idiot. The links you provided are no more "objective" than the espn PIMPS:

From the Arky board:

Auburn ALWAYS gets breaks, their strength of schedule, the calls..everything. They are the SEC media darlings.
Right. Tell that to the '83 & the '04 teams.

From Swamp Gas:

Auburn should thank the refs after this one. LSU should question Miles why their offense didn't move the ball enough also. Some team will emerge this season to take down overrated Auburn.
Yep. The refs won that game and not the AU defense. Objective opinions & stuff. Man, the Gators deserve to get skinned this year.

From UGA board:

It is very frustrating for me to know that we have the best football

conference in the nation, but the worst officiating. I've seen high

school games called better. It cost LSU dearly today, just a matter

of time before it cost us a HUGE game.

Don't look now dawggies but your insecurity is showing. How much whining will we be subjected to if UGA loses to AU because of a ref's call.

Archived