Tide, Hogs expect another tough game

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../609210339/1002

ALABAMA REPORT: Tide, Hogs expect another tough game

By Tim Gayle

Montgomery Advertiser

TUSCALOOSA -- Arkansas has led the Southeastern Conference in rushing yardage in three of the last four years, an indication of the physical brand of football played by Houston Nutt's team on both sides of the ball.

When Alabama and Arkansas meet in their annual SEC West Division grudge match in September, the matchup usually turns into a physical war in the trenches.

"When you think about Arkansas, you think about a big, strong offensive line," Alabama defensive coordinator Joe Kines said. "This won't be any game for the faint-hearted. Women and children better get out of the way. This will be full-grown men this week."

While Alabama's offense has struggled to assert its physical might on Hawaii, Vanderbilt and Louisiana-Monroe in the first three weeks of the season, the Razorbacks find themselves back in their customary spot atop the SEC rushing chart.

The lofty statistics -- the Razorbacks are 25th nationally in rushing offense -- may be a little surprising with the change to a new spread offense and the addition of heralded freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain.

"They probably throw it a little more with Mustain in there," defensive tackle Jeremy Clark said, "but for the most part they do what they've always done and that's play physical football."

The Razorback offensive line may not be as highly touted as some in the past but still averages 307.3 pounds per starter while opening holes for 212-pound Darren McFadden or his backup, Felix Jones.

"When they do run it, they're going to try and pound it down your throat," Crimson Tide cornerback Simeon Castille said. "I still expect McFadden and Jones and all those guys, when they get it and see me coming up to make the tackle, they're going to try and punish me. I'm going to try and do the same thing to them."

Defensively, the Hogs average 285.3 pounds per man across the front and weakside linebacker Sam Olajubutu, an All-American candidate who stands just 5-foot-9, epitomizes an Arkansas defense known for its aggressive demeanor.

"Everybody from their D-line to the linebackers to the secondary, all those guys are physical and like to get after it," Alabama center Antoine Caldwell said. "They're going to be one of the fastest defenses we're going to play this year."

Crimson Tide running backs coach Sparky Woods said the offense had a good practice Tuesday but admitted it is difficult preparing for the Razorbacks.

"They're just so fast," he said. "Our scout team did a great job but they just aren't as fast.

"Adjusting to the speed is a big thing. And then they're just so in your face and a pressure-type defensive football team. You've got your hands full just doing your job. There's not much time helping anybody else."

The series is often decided in the final minutes, yet the winner has posted double-digit victories in four of the last five years.

"The last three have been knock down drag outs," Alabama offensive coordinator Dave Rader said. "I just think it's going to happen again. Their guys just play so fast and strong and hard and I think our guys will as well."

Archived