‘D’ truth? Title contenders feature top defenses

Lurking Tiger

Nice.

Insert Your Link Here

By Mike Celizic

MSNBC contributor

Updated: 11:16 a.m. ET Sept 22, 2006

Defense doesn’t win championships all by its lonesome and especially not in college. LSU is proof enough of that. It’s the nation’s stingiest team in allowing yards gained — just 170 per game — and the third tightest when it comes to allowing the opposition to score — 4.3 points per game.

Unfortunately for the Tigers, seven of those points were lavished on Auburn, and that was enough to win last Saturday in one of the best defensive games the NCAA is likely to see this or any other year.

But defense is still vital to the game, and a look at the best defensive teams offers a window into how the BCS championship might play out. It’s why, if LSU had beaten Auburn, it would be a BCS championship candidate. It’s also why Auburn has to now be considered all but a mortal lock to be one of the teams playing for the game’s imaginary championship in January.

After giving up three points to LSU, Auburn now has surrendered 5.7 points per game, the fourth-lowest total in the country. Against LSU, they showed they have enough offense to beat a great defensive team, and there aren’t many — if any — better defensive teams than LSU.

Auburn should run the table in the SEC West, with its biggest challenge coming in the season’s final game against Alabama. And you can’t figure the Crimson Tide is going to stop them.

.....Then he says some more stuff about teams that I don't follow.

"biggest challenge coming in the season's final game at Alabama"?

Who is this guy fooling?

Oh come on now. You have to give him some credit. bammer will be at least as tough as our scout teams at practice.

I think he just means our biggest challenge left out of the West. I thought losses to teams from the East counted just the same, but who knows...that's just me.

Nice.

Insert Your Link Here

By Mike Celizic

MSNBC contributor

Updated: 11:16 a.m. ET Sept 22, 2006

Defense doesn’t win championships all by its lonesome and especially not in college. LSU is proof enough of that. It’s the nation’s stingiest team in allowing yards gained — just 170 per game — and the third tightest when it comes to allowing the opposition to score — 4.3 points per game.

Unfortunately for the Tigers, seven of those points were lavished on Auburn, and that was enough to win last Saturday in one of the best defensive games the NCAA is likely to see this or any other year.

But defense is still vital to the game, and a look at the best defensive teams offers a window into how the BCS championship might play out. It’s why, if LSU had beaten Auburn, it would be a BCS championship candidate. It’s also why Auburn has to now be considered all but a mortal lock to be one of the teams playing for the game’s imaginary championship in January.

After giving up three points to LSU, Auburn now has surrendered 5.7 points per game, the fourth-lowest total in the country. Against LSU, they showed they have enough offense to beat a great defensive team, and there aren’t many — if any — better defensive teams than LSU.

Auburn should run the table in the SEC West, with its biggest challenge coming in the season’s final game against Alabama. And you can’t figure the Crimson Tide is going to stop them.

.....Then he says some more stuff about teams that I don't follow.

:uga::(

:uf::(

Nice sentiment, but I don't get it . . .

Archived