Auburn's band

ontovictory

Who is making fun of her? Just stating why I think she is being so negative. I can't stand people that would rather complain then be supportive just because they think they did it better then the current version. Leave the kids alone and let them enjoy their time instead of tearing what they are doing down. What is so hard to understand about that?

It would be interesting to sort opionions of the state of the current band by former members versus nonmembers. My guess is that most everyone who has ever worn the "Band A" is (to varying degrees, of course) upset with the current administration. And don't lose sight of this.....It not about tearing the current members down. It is just painfull for us Alumni (particullarly the Trumpets) to see the same band that took "Malaguena" to Tiger Stadium (and out blew the LSU band) play highschool crap like "soak up the sun" on the field.

I don't think you know the definition of the word "interesting".

The band looks and sounds great. I can tell you without equivocation that no one remembers whether the band played Malaguena (what the hell is that anyway?) or Ridin' Dirty. Given the choice, I'd rather hear some Earth Wind and Fire or maybe that Christina Aguilera song "Ain't no other.." That would pop.

If you don't like what the band's playing you've got two choices. 1) Get the Band CD from when you were in it, burn the songs onto your iPod and listen to that during halftime. or 2) Go get a hot dog and a coke during the halftime show like 75,000 other people do.

Get over yourself and get on with your life. That is my wisdom passed down to you.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey loggerhead and ranger------ If you think this topic is stupid, why are you responding to it? Yea,this is a football forum and people talk about all things related to football and the band is a part of Auburn's gameday tradition. So here's a tip-- if you see a thread that doesn't interest you, move on to the next thread. You don't have to put your smart@ss two-cents in!!!!

I think you need to step back from the keyboard and don't tell me what I can respond too. I don't recall calling you about anything, but if you want to go that route, we can do that. As a member and a mod, I can read and interject myself and give my opinion on anything I want. If you don't like the fact that I gave my opinion, that is your problem, but you better back off from the playground bs, I don't take do kindly to that kind of crap.

Well, this lady sounds like she's probably a former majorette and she's a little upset about the changes they've made. So it's probably a legitimate topic to her. You don't have to make fun of her!!

No, you're right. I don't HAVE to make fun of her. I do so because I enjoy it. It's a choice.

Who is making fun of her? Just stating why I think she is being so negative. I can't stand people that would rather complain then be supportive just because they think they did it better then the current version. Leave the kids alone and let them enjoy their time instead of tearing what they are doing down. What is so hard to understand about that?

It would be interesting to sort opionions of the state of the current band by former members versus nonmembers. My guess is that most everyone who has ever worn the "Band A" is (to varying degrees, of course) upset with the current administration. And don't lose sight of this.....It not about tearing the current members down. It is just painfull for us Alumni (particullarly the Trumpets) to see the same band that took "Malaguena" to Tiger Stadium (and out blew the LSU band) play highschool crap like "soak up the sun" on the field.

The band looks and sounds great. I can tell you without equivocation that no one remembers whether the band played Malaguena (what the hell is that anyway?) or Ridin' Dirty. Given the choice, I'd rather hear some Earth Wind and Fire or maybe that Christina Aguilera song "Ain't no other.." That would pop.

If you don't like what the band's playing you've got two choices. 1) Get the Band CD from when you were in it, burn the songs onto your iPod and listen to that during halftime. or 2) Go get a hot dog and a coke during the halftime show like 75,000 other people do.

Get over yourself and get on with your life. That is my wisdom passed down to you.

We played Malaguena when I was in Band too and it was awesome. I think too many times Band members try to turn the Halftime show into a kind of battle of the bands that quite frankly the majority of our fans could care less about. It is about entertaining the masses in a College band. If you want to "Blow the other band off of the field" join DCI. I can see Ghosts point to certain degree. We've done EWandF's In The Stone but Agulerra now that is just wrong and it ain't happenin. And if it ever does I will be E-mailing Johnny and his bald head and Good immediately! :puke:

I think too many times Band members try to turn the Halftime show into a kind of battle of the bands that quite frankly the majority of our fans could care less about. It is about entertaining the masses in a College band.

That Aguilera song has a nice beat and some cool horn action.

Look, I got nothing against the band. My daughter is in the band and will more than likely be in the AU band. I hope she is.

But you're right. Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- cares if you "win" some phantom battle of the bands. It's not a band competition, it's a football game. I think I speak for the vast majority of fans when I say that I'd be perfectly okay with losing the band battle so long as AU wins the game. In fact, if you told me that AU could go undefeated if the band stayed home, I'd be standing in the gate with about 100,000 other people blocking the band's way into the stadium.

Boy,,, my original post got way off topic----- Let me first say--- the band musicians themselves--sound and look great A+---- The uniforms and wearing blue shorts and orange shirts to a non-televised game--fine with me!!!! The changes to pre-game--- HEY ITS AWESOME NOW!!! LOVE how the team runs through the AU......... I was referring to the addition of the "pom-pom" girls, or whatever they are.... Just watch them---They hop up and down on the field and they look retarded....Sorry,, my opionion.... I liked the old look of the Auburn majorettes, and the flag line when they wore those skirts and boots. They both looked VERY CLASSY!!! What it is they're doing now DOES NOT look classy!!!!! It looks like a high school band. NOT an SEC band!!! IMHO

Wow. Who knew there was so much interest in the Auburn band? I would just like to say that many alumni have emailed and called the Auburn Marching Band office. And the band director either ignores those comments or, if they are in any way negative, uses them to "prove" to the band that alumni are against them. He's even gone so far as to play voicemails from concerned alumni to the band to "prove his point". Unprofessional. According to staff, he's received over 200 emails concerning the changes with the AU band and his position is that he doesn't need alumni money and he doesn't need athletic department money and he's not going back. So. Just because alumni don't agree with the changes he's making (Auburn majorettes were here and going strong a good 40 years before him) doesn't mean that Auburn alumni don't love the band, and even appreciate some of the changes. Musically, I think the band is much stronger and more modern. But come on. Taking the majorettes and the flags and even the new dancers back to hair buns and dresses does not appear to be progressive. It makes us look like an overgrown high school band. Auburn University deserves better than that. The Auburn majorettes deserve better than that. And frankly, every other "Tiger Eye" deserves better than that.

Just judging from your posts here it seems like you have some kind of ax to grind rather than just expressing a personal opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

We played Malaguena when I was in Band too and it was awesome. I think too many times Band members try to turn the Halftime show into a kind of battle of the bands that quite frankly the majority of our fans could care less about. It is about entertaining the masses in a College band. If you want to "Blow the other band off of the field" join DCI. I can see Ghosts point to certain degree. We've done EWandF's In The Stone but Agulerra now that is just wrong and it ain't happenin. And if it ever does I will be E-mailing Johnny and his bald head and Good immediately! :puke:

I never played Malaguena when I was in band. We were of the Chicago, Stevie Wonder era. You play what the fans like! It is not a marching contest, most of the people in the stands want to hear good music and don't think about blowing people off the field. (most bands that do that don' t play in tune anyway),. Email Johnnie soon, he is retiring at the end of the year.

I never played Malaguena when I was in band. We were of the Chicago, Stevie Wonder era. You play what the fans like! It is not a marching contest, most of the people in the stands want to hear good music and don't think about blowing people off the field. (most bands that do that don' t play in tune anyway),. Email Johnnie soon, he is retiring at the end of the year.

Then you would have been in the band when I fell in love w/ it. I wanted to play FB for the Tigers but when that didn't work out, the band was a very good substitute. I have memories that will last a lifetime. I'll pass though on the Johnnie E-mail. :puke: I am what you would call a Tim Kelly desciple (my director for 3 years). Now that guy was the Man! :thumbsup:

Been a while since Tim was here. I am from the old school - Dr. Walls, Tony McCutchen, Johnnie Vinson. Sorry you couldn't play FB, but the band is the best! That is how I met my better half, my son is in band (although not AU, he is at LSU). Good thing to be a part of!

Been a while since Tim was here. I am from the old school - Dr. Walls, Tony McCutchen, Johnnie Vinson. Sorry you couldn't play FB, but the band is the best! That is how I met my better half, my son is in band (although not AU, he is at LSU). Good thing to be a part of!

I was a rat in Johnnie's band. Brilliant man! Not very personable though. Walls guest directed several times when I was in the band Great guy as well.

Don't you love the Rats!!! I was a rat my whole 4 years at Auburn, we never beat Alabama when I was here! Are you coming to Alumni Band? It sure is fun!

Don't you love the Rats!!! I was a rat my whole 4 years at Auburn, we never beat Alabama when I was here! Are you coming to Alumni Band? It sure is fun!

I have only done it once right after grad school and I realized that I didn't miss it enough yet. Plus I was one of the only folks there from my era. I have 2 yo twin sons and a pregnant wife who is a UGA alum so it will prob be a couple more years before I make it back for Alumni band. I was a rat for only 1 season as we went 10-1, beat Bama and went to the Sugar Bowl. Ah we were spoiled that first year. Little did we know a storm was brewing! :no:

Boy,,, my original post got way off topic----- Let me first say--- the band musicians themselves--sound and look great A+---- The uniforms and wearing blue shorts and orange shirts to a non-televised game--fine with me!!!! The changes to pre-game--- HEY ITS AWESOME NOW!!! LOVE how the team runs through the AU......... I was referring to the addition of the "pom-pom" girls, or whatever they are.... Just watch them---They hop up and down on the field and they look retarded....Sorry,, my opionion.... I liked the old look of the Auburn majorettes, and the flag line when they wore those skirts and boots. They both looked VERY CLASSY!!! What it is they're doing now DOES NOT look classy!!!!! It looks like a high school band. NOT an SEC band!!! IMHO

Wow. Who knew there was so much interest in the Auburn band? I would just like to say that many alumni have emailed and called the Auburn Marching Band office. And the band director either ignores those comments or, if they are in any way negative, uses them to "prove" to the band that alumni are against them. He's even gone so far as to play voicemails from concerned alumni to the band to "prove his point". Unprofessional. According to staff, he's received over 200 emails concerning the changes with the AU band and his position is that he doesn't need alumni money and he doesn't need athletic department money and he's not going back. So. Just because alumni don't agree with the changes he's making (Auburn majorettes were here and going strong a good 40 years before him) doesn't mean that Auburn alumni don't love the band, and even appreciate some of the changes. Musically, I think the band is much stronger and more modern. But come on. Taking the majorettes and the flags and even the new dancers back to hair buns and dresses does not appear to be progressive. It makes us look like an overgrown high school band. Auburn University deserves better than that. The Auburn majorettes deserve better than that. And frankly, every other "Tiger Eye" deserves better than that.

Just judging from your posts here it seems like you have some kind of ax to grind rather than just expressing a personal opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

You are wrong, but that's okay. You don't know me or anything about me. I don't have an axe to grind. I had an awesome Auburn experience and I love the Auburn band just as much as everybody else. I think musically they are far superior than in the past and that's not knocking anybody in the past. The Bohemian Rhapsody finale last year for the student section was brilliant, I thought. But I've talked to some of these majorettes (and their parents). They are embarrassed about the way they look now. They are being made fun of by their own fans and other schools. I hate that for them. Many people have tried to talk to the band staff about it, but it hasn't done any good. I just wanted to see what people thought about it and now I know.

Funny that none of them have said anything to the coordinator. In fact I talked to some the other day and they are tired of all of this and want it to end. I haven't heard anyone making fun of them like you say. They were very upset with the fliers. My son is in the LSU band and they thought our "Tiger Eyes" were great and especially mentioned the majorettes being very good and looking great. I don't think that boots and make up will make them any better than they already are. If you know anything about physiology of marching you would understand how dangerous the boots are for all the moves the girls do now. There is a conference this weekend at AU dealing with marching band, physiology, medical concerns and more things like this! I appreciate your sincerity for the musicality of the band, but this little tiff of yours (or whoever started it) is upseting a lot of the band kids. Times change and the majorettes have changed, you just need to accept it and let it go. Find some other avenue to address, maybe the fact that there are over 375 band members and not enough uniforms to fit all of them. Could sure use some money to help that, or maybe help increase scholarships for band members. Most of them are not music majors and do this for their enjoyment and love of band.

Archived