Auburn's band

ontovictory

I played tonettes in the sixth grade. My brother and I were fighting in the yard right before going to the concert we were giving. My tonette got tossed into the air, and we were not able to find it. I just stood there with the others while they played. I looked so COOL!

My big sister was in the AU Band though - played French horn.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a friendlier note... My girlfriend went to bammer and was in the bammer band.

I took her to a band camp rehearsal on a Sunday afternoon earlier this year. She talked about it for a week. "I wish we had done all of that cool stuff that y'all do. Y'all have so much more of a sense of family and belonging. Band for us was just....band."

She was talking about doing the cheers, singing the Alma Mater at the end of rehearsals, RAT activities, "jump, jump, jump," and just the way everybody is treated among everything else.

WDE!

And that's what it's all about...making the crimson 'n' white jealous.

Alabama's Band --- $1,000,000

AUMB --- Priceless

hccobb...thats what I do..when I want to watch some fun drum corps I watch my DCI dvds...When I want to watch football I go to the games...Now I was voicing my opinon on this forum regarding what I prefer...considering this is a forum for people to discuss opinions I don't think the band director is reading this and going "WOW, KunzelTiger wants me to get rid of the woodwinds"...

My opinion is that woodwinds don't add anything to a sound because personally I prefer a Brass sound (being an ex-trombone player)...

Its my opinion..and I'm sorry if you disagree

No self-respecting Band alum would ever speak out against adding more attractive females to the band. So I won't. But being a former Trumpet section member, I must say the idea of an all brass band is intreguing. The best band I ever heard in all my years in the AU band was the band from Ohio State (Hall of Fame Bowl) 1989 football season. That however is not DCI. DCI is for fairies and has no place at a college football half-time show. Nobody is sitting in the stands thinking wow what incredibly intricate drill. Just entertain the home folks and be loud! loud! loud! If you want to pay hundreds of dollars to be some directors slave for the summer and sleep on gym floors go for that DCI crap. Give me a quality College band!

If my eyes didn't deceive me, the band is wearing orange? Cheesy. I am saddened by the destruction of AU tradition. Why orange? We have always been blue at home. A sea of blue makes more sense than a sea of orange. We will be wearing orange on the field within 5 years if Tubs stays. I want him to stay, but I hope there will be more radio stations then so I can listen to the game rather than watch it on TV.

You are incorrect about orange. The band wore orange shirts and blue shorts for the Buffalo game. This apparel was provided to them by Under Armor. They wore them for the Buffalo game because the game was not on TV, it was something diffferent, the Under Armor thing, etc.

You are also incorrect about the "destruction of tradition." In the past, each member of the band has had two sets of full band uniforms. One set with white coat, white pants, and and set with blue coat, blue pants. Over the season, they mix and matched uniforms for each game depending on what was worn last week, temperature, time of day (some uniform combinations look better in the sunlight, some better under the lights, what the other band was wearing if there was one, etc. In 2006, there are more kids than there are uniforms, so now everybody has only one uniform. Winds have one set. Percussion and tubas have another set.

Actually it wasn't provided by Under Armour, the band had to pay for the shirts, they were 19.00 each, they also had to buy the shorts.

While we're at it..can we get rid of all the woodwinds and hand them all a trumpet/baritone/etc.?

You can't even hear them...(not that I mind...woodwinds are useless in Marching band)...

We need more of a drum corps and less of a marching band...

The differences between a drum corps and an SEC marching band are too numerous to discuss here.

Any physicist or person with much experience with bands will tell you that you can't just keep adding musicians to make a band louder and louder and louder. The physics of the way sound behaves reach a sort of "maximum density" at which point no matter how many brass you added, it would not get much louder. Removing a vital part of the band like woodwinds would achieve nothing in terms of volume. It would, however, tell these very important young men and women that they are not wanted by the Auburn family. And that is not the way things are done.

really? there is a difference between a drum corps and an SEC marching band? ::rolls eyes:: Thats obvious...but why can't we strive to have an exciting drum corps...Jax St does it..they compete in DCI every year...I can tell you that trading in woodwinds for brass will make it louder...and if you don't believe me go to a DCI competition and tell me how loud it is when they're going full force..even from the top of Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.

And its not that those men and women aren't wanted by the Auburn family..its that their instruments IMO detract from a Marching band(Drum Corps) experience.

Jacksonville State sponsors a summer drum and bugle corp, they have a full marching band during football season, including woodwinds. I know this from personal experience. PLus the summer drum corp that JSU sponsors, has high school kids in it as well. They devote every day of their summer to this. Drum Corps and Marching bands are different and thus get different sounds. OUr band sounds great! Why did they win the Sudler Marching Trophy if they are that bad?

hccobb...thats what I do..when I want to watch some fun drum corps I watch my DCI dvds...When I want to watch football I go to the games...Now I was voicing my opinon on this forum regarding what I prefer...considering this is a forum for people to discuss opinions I don't think the band director is reading this and going "WOW, KunzelTiger wants me to get rid of the woodwinds"...

My opinion is that woodwinds don't add anything to a sound because personally I prefer a Brass sound (being an ex-trombone player)...

No self-respecting Band alum would ever speak out against adding more attractive females to the band. So I won't. But being a former Trumpet section member, I must say the idea of an all brass band is intreguing. The best band I ever heard in all my years in the AU band was the band from Ohio State (Hall of Fame Bowl) 1989 football season. That however is not DCI. DCI is for fairies and has no place at a college football half-time show. Nobody is sitting in the stands thinking wow what incredibly intricate drill. Just entertain the home folks and be loud! loud! loud! If you want to pay hundreds of dollars to be some directors slave for the summer and sleep on gym floors go for that DCI crap. Give me a quality College band!

I agree with most of what you say except that DCI is for fairies. My son is in a college band (my husband and I both were in AU's band) and he is also in the World Champion Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corp. He definitely is not a fairy! He spends his summers traveling on buses, yes, sleeping on gym floors, but also spending 10 - 12 hours a day outside in all kinds of weather trying to get better to play music and entertain people. You have your opinion, but please don't call DCI members fairies. Both groups have their place in the music world. Why would 30,000 + people go to Madison Wisconsin in the heat of August to watch 25 drum and bugle corps compete? It is all good!! Music rocks no matter where it is.

I agree with most of what you say except that DCI is for fairies. My son is in a college band (my husband and I both were in AU's band) and he is also in the World Champion Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corp. He definitely is not a fairy! He spends his summers traveling on buses, yes, sleeping on gym floors, but also spending 10 - 12 hours a day outside in all kinds of weather trying to get better to play music and entertain people. You have your opinion, but please don't call DCI members fairies. Both groups have their place in the music world. Why would 30,000 + people go to Madison Wisconsin in the heat of August to watch 25 drum and bugle corps compete? It is all good!! Music rocks no matter where it is.

Okay! But before we try to turn our band into DCI, understand that at the end of the day the majority of the fans in the stands could care less what style the band marches. It is about the music. Sorry! I didn't mean to offend, I just don't get what people see in that DCI stuff. To each his own I guess.

OUr band sounds great! Why did they win the Sudler Marching Trophy if they are that bad?

Check the history of the trophy. The current staff would have you believe that being awarded this thing is a vindication of all that they have done. Without commenting on the musicianship of the current kids (absolutely nothing against them), there have been some truely horrible Sudler "winners". Because of the limitations (no band may win it twice), it is not an acheivment award, but a recognition of the entire history of a program. After 20 plus years, it was just our time to get it.

DCI is for fairies

You couldn't be any further from the truth.

Say what you want about keeping a band a band and not being more DCI like, but saying that DCI is for fairies is 100% wrong and insulting.

DCI is for fairies

Say what you want about keeping a band a band and not being more DCI like, but saying that DCI is for fairies is 100% wrong and insulting.

Okay! be insulted! I apologize. I am just very opinionated on this subject and it was a poor choice of words. When I was in the AU band we had a couple of GTA's who tried to turn us into a Corp style band. And nobody paid any more attention to us than they did before. Brass players were even told to not play too loud (save their chops) for halftime. That is lame!!!!! The biggest complaint I've heard in the past is that the band doesn't play enough in the stands. When you go to a game notice that the band plays much more in the stands after halftime. We have more spirit tunes now but still could use more. Give the fans what they want instead of catering to a bunch of folks who live under some dillusion that our fans care about DCI!

Well as a former member of the band myself.... i have to say the most intiguing part of this discussion... is that people are actually discussing the band. Its good to see some kind of interest generated for this hardworking group of people!

AUTiger94,

You need to watch some the way you give your opinions. Just because something is not for you is not a reason to insult others that may enjoy it. You also made a comment about Cox the other day that was over the line.

DCI is for fairies

Okay! be insulted! I apologize. I am just very opinionated on this subject and it was a poor choice of words. When I was in the AU band we had a couple of GTA's who tried to turn us into a Corp style band. And nobody paid any more attention to us than they did before. Brass players were even told to not play too loud (save their chops) for halftime. That is lame!!!!! The biggest complaint I've heard in the past is that the band doesn't play enough in the stands. When you go to a game notice that the band plays much more in the stands after halftime. We have more spirit tunes now but still could use more. Give the fans what they want instead of catering to a bunch of folks who live under some dillusion that our fans care about DCI!

I doubt the GTA's were trying to turn you into a corp style band. They have to do what the band director tells them too. They don't carry much weight when it comes to decisions about the band when it comes to marching style. I have been around band programs and very close to the AU band (a former member mysefl and my husband was a GTA) and know that they do what they can. The SEC and The athletic department have rules for when to play and not play in the stands. To play more before halftime weakens the brass players embouchre, they need to save some for a great halftime show. After the half it doesn't matter. They are there for a reason, to perform during the game as needed but mostly to provide a great halftime entertainment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and great that people are arguing about the band.

I can't stand it any longer, The Auburn Marching Band is one of the most outstanding organizations that I have ever had the pure pleasure of being close to. Being the mother of a clarinet section leader who married the tuba section leader, and his sister is in the dance line that started this whole discussion, I just feel the need to add my 2cents worth. The Auburn University Marching Band is by far one of the best collegiate bands I have ever had the pleasure of watching and listening to. I feel like some of you about losing traditions, but I have also gotten to a place in life where I have to be flexible to new things, heck, I didn't like it when they added flag girls. These people work and practice and study and try to have lives, all for our entertainment and to represent our university in the best possible light. Do we really want to make disparaging remarks about our friends, or the children of our freinds? As for me and mine, I'll take The Auburn University Marching Band over the $1.98 band of uat anyday.

I can't stand it any longer, The Auburn Marching Band is one of the most outstanding organizations that I have ever had the pure pleasure of being close to. Being the mother of a clarinet section leader who married the tuba section leader, and his sister is in the dance line that started this whole discussion, I just feel the need to add my 2cents worth. The Auburn University Marching Band is by far one of the best collegiate bands I have ever had the pleasure of watching and listening to. I feel like some of you about losing traditions, but I have also gotten to a place in life where I have to be flexible to new things, heck, I didn't like it when they added flag girls. These people work and practice and study and try to have lives, all for our entertainment and to represent our university in the best possible light. Do we really want to make disparaging remarks about our friends, or the children of our freinds? As for me and mine, I'll take The Auburn University Marching Band over the $1.98 band of uat anyday.

AMEN!! FRom an AU Band Alum!!! Traditions change as the directors change, I like all of them!!! Alumni Band it November 4, I believe we are the only college band that has over 300 alumni return for Alumni Band!! :cheer:

• 3 weeks later...

The Tiger Eyes are great!

Anything that puts more pretty girls on the field is OK with me!

I know some of them being an AU student. Knowing the quality of young women they are would impress you much more than their physical looks.

Why have 40 girls on the field in that exact identical costumes, same makeup, same hair in a bun? I'm sure these girls are beautiful both inside and out. But why do they all have to look like the Stepford Wives? Why can't we not only let their true beauty shine through, but also their truly unique talents?

I think the flag girls, the dancing girls, and the majorettes all have a place in Auburn's band. Traditionally, the majorettes and flags have been special enough, but if you just have to have one more dancing group besides the flags, majorettes, cheerleaders and Tiger Pause, so be it. But honestly, the idea of "Tiger Eyes" is not Auburn University. This is not a cookie cutter school. This school prides itself on the individuality of its students. Why do all 40 girls have to wear their hair in a bun, the same polyester uniforms, and all do exactly the same thing on the field? Why hide their natural beauty behind weird, glittery makeup that's exactly identical, and blend their talents together so that nobody on the field is even recognizable? And there is something to be said for a beautiful tradition. Just because we add a flying eagle to the show, does that mean we get rid of the cheerleaders? Of course not. You don't screw up the traditions that make Auburn Auburn. And the AU majorettes in their sequins and white boots are one of the best traditions Auburn has. The band staff has predicted that in three years no one will ever remember the AU majorettes. I just don't think AU fans will let that happen.

The band staff has predicted that in three years no one will ever remember the AU majorettes.

Thank you for presenting your conspiracy theory.

Have you not noticed a change in the overall way shows are designed for the AUMB in the last couple of years? It is totally different than it was in 1986 or even in 2004. It is more movement, more interest, more energy, more intensity.

THAT IS AUBURN.

It is not about one person being so important on the field. It is about everybody out there contributing to an overall production that is more exciting for the viewer in a large stadium like JHS.

It takes a whole different approach to pull off that kind of a show than it does to pull off the shows that you do in a high school stadium.

The band has changed their designs the past couple of years so there is considerably more movement, many more "stage changes," and many more "features" where different sections of girls are brought to the focal point for shorter, but more numerous amounts of time.

Overall this is a good change. I'm sorry that you can't see the big picture because you are so busy complaining in multiple threads about eye makeup.

Hate to burst the bubble here......as a band Alumni Saturdays performance was pitiful. There are other people in the stands other than just the student section. This was one of the biggest games of the year and thats the performance you pull out of the hat??? Come on Dr. Good..... give me something better!!!!

Hate to burst the bubble here......as a band Alumni Saturdays performance was pitiful. There are other people in the stands other than just the student section. This was one of the biggest games of the year and thats the performance you pull out of the hat??? Come on Dr. Good..... give me something better!!!!

I totally disagree. I have been watching the Auburn band longer than most of you and I think it is better than it has ever been. I enjoyed it Saturday night. I even watch it at halftime with interest which used to be not the case. Some people just don't want to see change and maybe they should just pass the baton and move on if they no longer enjoy it. To me it's kind of like the players. What if some of the older ones don't like Borges offense. I doubt they would get on internet boards and complain or quit coming back for games because they know that change is not always bad and sometimes you just ned to keep up with the competetion. JMHO.

Boy,,, my original post got way off topic----- Let me first say--- the band musicians themselves--sound and look great A+---- The uniforms and wearing blue shorts and orange shirts to a non-televised game--fine with me!!!! The changes to pre-game--- HEY ITS AWESOME NOW!!! LOVE how the team runs through the AU......... I was referring to the addition of the "pom-pom" girls, or whatever they are.... Just watch them---They hop up and down on the field and they look retarded....Sorry,, my opionion.... I liked the old look of the Auburn majorettes, and the flag line when they wore those skirts and boots. They both looked VERY CLASSY!!! What it is they're doing now DOES NOT look classy!!!!! It looks like a high school band. NOT an SEC band!!! IMHO

Wow. Who knew there was so much interest in the Auburn band? I would just like to say that many alumni have emailed and called the Auburn Marching Band office. And the band director either ignores those comments or, if they are in any way negative, uses them to "prove" to the band that alumni are against them. He's even gone so far as to play voicemails from concerned alumni to the band to "prove his point". Unprofessional. According to staff, he's received over 200 emails concerning the changes with the AU band and his position is that he doesn't need alumni money and he doesn't need athletic department money and he's not going back. So. Just because alumni don't agree with the changes he's making (Auburn majorettes were here and going strong a good 40 years before him) doesn't mean that Auburn alumni don't love the band, and even appreciate some of the changes. Musically, I think the band is much stronger and more modern. But come on. Taking the majorettes and the flags and even the new dancers back to hair buns and dresses does not appear to be progressive. It makes us look like an overgrown high school band. Auburn University deserves better than that. The Auburn majorettes deserve better than that. And frankly, every other "Tiger Eye" deserves better than that.

Archived