Cox: Time for Auburn to make statement.

DKW 86

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=587776

Hope Cox is right...

Bryan Matthews

AuburnSports.com Senior Editor

Talk about it in The Front Line

Who's No. 2?

Auburn maintained its No. 2 ranking in the AP Poll and No. 3 ranking in the USA Today Coaches' Poll this week but that hasn't quieted the debate on who is the nation's second-best team.

Cox is hoping to open up the offense more this week.

Ohio State currently has a firm hold of the top spot but depending on who you ask, Auburn, USC or Michigan are all strong candidates for the No. 2 slot. While the voters in both polls are torn between Auburn and USC, Michigan is sixth. But that hasn't stopped ESPN from promoting the Big Ten school.

At the conclusion of Saturday's games, ESPN's college football analysts list their personal Top 5 and for the past two weeks most have had USC and Michigan ranked above the Tigers. One even had AU fifth, below West Virginia.

At times it seems that ESPN's so-called experts spend much of the day Saturday talking up teams like Ohio State, USC, Michigan and Notre Dame (the Irish have given up 84 points the last two games) while downplaying Auburn's 4-0 record and recent win over then-No. 6 LSU.

The snub hasn't gone unnoticed by Auburn's players.

"I see it watching the games," said AU quarterback Brandon Cox. "They have their opinions. But that's all it is, opinions. You just have to go out there and win. I think if you win ballgames, don't lose any, they won't be able to say much."

ESPN will get a first-hand look at the Tigers Thursday night as they carry the Auburn at South Carolina game in their prime-time slot. In the booth will be Chris Fowler providing play-by-play and Kirk Herbstreit the analysis.

It will be an opportunity for AU to make an impression on ESPN and the nation. Cox is determined to make that impression very positive.

"We're going to go out there Thursday and show a lot of people that we are No. 2," he said. "I think we're coming together as a team. I think we're playing physical. We've got a lot of talent and I think everybody is coming together and we're gelling as a team and we're going to go out there and prove it Thursday night."

In order for AU to make a strong statement, Cox will need to have a big game and inject a little firepower into an AU passing offense that's averaging just 182.8 yards per game and produced just three touchdown receptions. That appears to be the plan for AU offensive coordinator Al Borges.

"(Coach Borges) said we're going to open it up and start throwing a little more this week," said Cox. "Coach Borges is adding little things here and there each week. He wanted to start out the season and get in the mindset of being physical and make sure we can win games being physical. I think we've done that.

"Now we're getting into the heart of the schedule with the SEC coming up, I think he'll start opening it up."

Limited by knee and ankle injuries, Cox only attempted 10 passes against Buffalo. But the junior is feeling much better and hoping to have a breakout game Thursday.

"It's still a little sore but it feels a lot better," said Cox. "I'll be real close to 100 percent Thursday.

"It's going to be on ESPN. It's the only game. People are going to be watching it everywhere. Hopefully it'll give us a little national exposure and we can go out and have a good game."

I truely feel if we go out and try to be too cute it could end up badly. However last season the playcalling was very conservative to adjust to a new QB. This year i think Cox has put a little too much presure on himself to be to "Perfect". If he can go out manage the game and put the ball out for our recivers he will be just fine. He hits the nail dead on the head this is the only game on the tube and we have to show we belong in the top 2.

:flame::usc:

ONE at a time lets torch the Cocks!!!!!!1

True point. The recivers have'nt done a lot to get the confidence of CAB or Cox. I do think that they will be great at some point but they have to focus on catching the ball and getting off the line better. From what I have seen we have lacked the aggresivness to get down field after the defender checks us at the line.

True point. The recivers have'nt done a lot to get the confidence of CAB or Cox. I do think that they will be great at some point but they have to focus on catching the ball and getting off the line better. From what I have seen we have lacked the aggresivness to get down field after the defender checks us at the line.

I agree. Most of our sacks have been coverage sacks which tells me our young recievers have'nt been getting open.CT seems to be the only one who can get open even with double coverage. I hope that starts to change this week. WAR EAGLE!!

I know its nitpicking, but shouldn't we be out at prove we are #1?

Thats what I've been thinking. Who says that OSU is better than us too? Why is it an automatic?

its not, from what i've seen this year lsu would stomp texas, and so would we, so why does beating texas make them better than us?

Absolutely, that is the debate we need to be forcing; this team has got to put it together offensively whenever the opportunity arises, even if it is late 4th quarter. Pete Carroll has proven this over and over and over again...

yes we need a powerful O to win games.... But I think, the thinking at AUBURN has been since PAT DYE... Win games with the O but Win Championships with the Defence.

The Real reason why Bro Will is on this staff this year...TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Just my 2 cents worth...Thanks...WDE!!! ONE GAME AT A TIME

Offensively Auburn is lacking confidence and a little unsure of itself.

This is a very dangerous game with South Carolina.

Spurrier will have the trap set, Auburn just needs to play it's game,

there is to much poll watching and concern about fricken espn.

CTT and coaches have a tough task to have the team ready.

Play like Champions Auburn, or the ride will be over!

I believe the USC's offense will try misdirection plays and screens to take advantage of Auburns speed on defense. I hope Muschamp has considered this.

On Auburn's offense, I hope Borges finds out early who showed up to play and play them regardless.

You are correct.

Wow didnt think my "top 2" quote would get this much play. I do agree that it is the assumption by myself and the rest of the media that OSU is #1. But by saying top 2 it means were in the game we got cheated out of 2 years ago and then we can find out on the field who is #1!!! But all of this is just hot air if we go to WBS Thursday and get whacked! And the main point of this thread was B.Cox and the O. I would love to see this be our game when our O comes to life. In 04 it was the Tenn game that got us going. 05 it was Arky. I hope this year it is USC. We have the talent now we need results. I also hope KI makes a fool of "Coach ;);) Holz"!! Send this guy packin and you end up drooling and lissping on T.V not on the sidelines coaching!!!!

I agree. Most of our sacks have been coverage sacks which tells me our young recievers have'nt been getting open.CT seems to be the only one who can get open even with double coverage. I hope that starts to change this week. WAR EAGLE!!

Psychologically the threat of downfield receivers is necessary to open up the half-back flare, tight gaps, etc. If we open with a deep ball, and connect, it will proved the needed psyche to open up the rest of the playbook. I don't see USC running all over our D, but not to be overconfident, because Spurrier is no dummy.

One at a time, guys!

I agree with Okie on this one!!!!!

Score and score at will...........if that's the way the game is going on Thursday night!

But in the end............just win, baby!

Archived