Anti-Bush protestors in Alabama cancel their protests due to a lack of Anti-Bush protestors

Tiger in Spain

Many anti-Bush activists skip protests during president's visit

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Thomas Diasio disagrees with many of the government's policies, and the dislike runs so deep that he considered protesting during President Bush's visit to Alabama on Thursday.

But Diasio didn't demonstrate. Neither did hardly any of the small group of Alabama activists involved with speaking out against what they see as the most offensive of the administration's actions, particularly the invasion of Iraq.

Demonstrators aren't allowed anywhere the president, Diasio said, and it's hard to get enough dedicated Bush opponents to make a big crowd.

"There's really no point," said a dispirited-sounding Diasio, who is active in the Birmingham Peace Project. "It you put together a protest you're going to be shunted off to the side or pushed into left field."

Another area peace activist, the Rev. Kevin Higgs, said any anti-Bush demonstration would likely just have the unintended effect of proving the strength of the president's support in Alabama, so few bothered.

"We felt it would not be a show of strength but a show of weakness," said Higgs.

Bush was in Birmingham for a campaign luncheon that raised about $2.5 million for Gov. Bob Riley and the GOP. Afterward, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Lucy Baxley held a "people's rally" that drew about 120 people to a downtown park frequented by homeless people. Hotdogs were on the menu.

Baxley, who had her photograph made with a cardboard cutout of Bush wearing a Baxley sticker, said the contrasting events showed the difference between her campaign and that of Riley.

"I am for the people who don't have big money. He is the candidate for the rich and powerful," she said.

Alabama has consistently voted Republican in presidential elections for more than a generation, and the state's history of conservative politics translates into overwhelming support for Bush. The president has come to be seen as a political liability in some states, but not Alabama.

A poll of 500 likely Alabama voters published earlier this month showed 65 percent had a favorable view of Bush, while an Associated Press-Ipsos poll showed Bush's job approval rating at 40 percent nationally last week.

Standing on a roadside waiting for Bush's motorcade to pass after an appearance in Hoover, Stephanie Rhodes of Woodstock was buoyed by the lack of demonstrations against the president.

"It's encouraging, especially this time of year, right before an election," said Rhodes, who had her four children in tow.

Meg Pruitt of Helena held a sign urging the president to "secure our borders," but it was hardly a protest: The same sign expressed her love for Bush.

"I'm a groupie. I voted for his dad, and I voted for him," she said.

A political gadfly put together a protest in support of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to coincide with Bush's visit, but attendance was sparse — only a dozen or so. Organizer Frank Matthews said he likes Chavez partly because Citgo Petroleum Co., which is owned by Venezuela, often locates stores in poor, minority neighborhoods.

Also, Matthews said, he knew Republicans would be put off by his rally for Chavez, who referred to Bush as "the devil" last week during a speech at the United Nations.

"It was partly aimed at Bush," said Matthews.

Link

Well, Lucy Baxley will be utterly destroyed by Riley in November. It will be a 25 point margin in the polls. Maybe more. Why?

-- Lucy Baxley represents the old-line politicians who whored out to every special interest group around, while selling out the people of Alabama. Meanwhile, Riley has made state government efficient, weeded out cronyism and corruption, and provided us with a huge budget SURPLUS. Meanwhile, the roads are actually getting paved, industries are getting recruited, and student test scores are going up.

-- You would need the IQ slightly above that of a rhesus monkey to vote Democratic in any state election in Alabama. After all, the Democratic Party had total control of Alabama from Reconstruction until the 1980s. We were rock bottom in every measurable category from economic growth to education. Suddenly, Republicans start getting the levers of power, and we begin to enjoy actually growth and progress.

So, you suck Lucy Baxley. You and the rest of the creepy people who back you. Shame on you and your crew for keeping the people of Alabama so down for so long.

Most of the anti-bush crowd are working multiple fast foods jobs. They don't have time to participate.

Yep. They're working multiple fast-food jobs because they didn't stay in school and don't work hard enough at any one of them to get promoted to assistant manager. Seriously. I did a stint in fast food while working through college. If you just show up to work on time, master the fryer, count the change correctly, and actually are pleasant to the customers, then you're management materials. I finally had to tell these guys, "No I don't want to be an assistant manager at Arby's. Please don't ask me again." Basically, any nitwit can be an assistant manager making $35K just by halfway trying.

So again, Bottomfeeder, quit trotting out the tired cliches of the left.

Archived