Auburn looks mediocre on National TV

Wishbone

We're getting hammered by all the talking heads of the college football world. Auburn didn’t look like an elite team last night. They really haven’t looked good the entire season except for one great game against LSU. ESPN’s show “The Herd” talked mainly bout Auburn today. The whole point of the show was that Auburn just doesn’t look like a #2 team and appeared mediocre against South Carolina.

As far as what I think:

We seem to have problems at WR and Cox doesn't seem willing to throw into coverage, maybe because he is being cautious due to his arm strength. Also, our defense was exposed by South Carolina. I think those two aspects will turn away voters.

All we have to do is keep winning. I think South Carolina is going to be a lot tougher with newton at qb, we'll see.

This win could look a lot better down the road. It really doesn't make much difference now.

All these "experts" need something to talk about.

not that it matters (mainly b/c i don't think we're the second best team in the country and i wish the polls were a lot more responsive/fluid... move a team down if they're playing bad and back up if they get right, etc.), but usc didn't exactly drill arizona (they of 45-3 beating by lsu fame) last week did they? was it me or did osu lead cincy by 7 in the third quarter two weeks ago? was that west virginia i saw playing a one score in the third quarter game with east carolina?

the point is we're the talk for now. if anyone else struggles, it'll be them. i wouldn't get my feelings hurt if we moved down though. you honestly think there is only one team in the nation that would beat us? me neither. can we get there? sure. we've just got some growing to do.

It is not going to bother me where we are ranked at this point of the season. Until we do what we have to do it is a moot point in my book. I think we were kind of like UGA. We got to see some of our weaknesses last night without taking a loss in doing so.

I read something today that made me stop dead in my tracks and THINK. Brandon Cox was quoted as saying "It was fun making some plays on third and fourth down. It was FUN out there tonight."

We, the fans, want our Tigers to "look good" and look "imposing" for the national talking heads/voters. The players are out there to WIN and have FUN. Sometimes things get a little muddled. I am thankful for the win and have confidence in our Staff to "work out the kinks".

5 down...ONE at a time....Bring on the piggies.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..."It'll be a cold day in a bad place before I complain about a win!" especially an SEC road win!!!!

Last night shows character to me...struggles make better teams and better people! I might even worry more about the piggies this weekend if we had beaten SC 35 - 0. This team knows it needs to improve and I think they will. I was proud of 'em last year when they got better as the year progressed. The same logic is behind why I was so disappointed in the Capital One Bowl...felt like they regressed.

We're getting hammered by all the talking heads of the college football world. Auburn didn’t look like an elite team last night. They really haven’t looked good the entire season except for one great game against LSU. ESPN’s show “The Herd” talked mainly bout Auburn today. The whole point of the show was that Auburn just doesn’t look like a #2 team and appeared mediocre against South Carolina.

As far as what I think:

We seem to have problems at WR and Cox doesn't seem willing to throw into coverage, maybe because he is being cautious due to his arm strength. Also, our defense was exposed by South Carolina. I think those two aspects will turn away voters.

If we beat Arkansas, Florida, Georgia and Alabama, Colin Cowher will be sniffing our jock.

our d didn't look great. they were playing so soft (i hate when teams do that) towards the end. I always feel that gives the other team so much more yardage. Offense wasn't great. We didn't play like the #2 team in the nation but I'm happy we won.

I'm not about to apologize for the defensive performance last night - made a few keys plays here and there (how big was Herring's INT in the end??), but, for the most part, CWN & Co pretty well got pantsed by the Ol' (formerly known as "Head") Ball Coach. That said, and given the hostile environment, :au: had plenty of opportunities to implode last night, but they didn't.

Only time will tell, folks. :au: has 7 (hopefully 8) more chances to prove its not mediocre. If we take care of business the rest of the way, the "experts" (a certain leprechaun comes to mind) will look back on this game (if at all) and say something profound like "See, Kirk and Mark (and Chris and Everyone Else in the World), great teams find a way to win even when they don't play great." I don't know if that's the way it'll work out, but I'm sure looking forward to finding out . . .

That said, kudos to :usc: - SOS and Syvelle Newton, in particular - for a gutty, inspired performance. :thumbsup:

our d didn't look great. they were playing so soft (i hate when teams do that) towards the end. I always feel that gives the other team so much more yardage. Offense wasn't great. We didn't play like the #2 team in the nation but I'm happy we won.

From what I saw, our offense truly shined last night. 6 possessions, 3TDs and 1 FG. I think that is a good showing from the offense. Kenny had 100+ yard night, 2TD, BC 1 TD. The offense did their jobs and more.

I think the loss of Wilhite for that game caused Muschamp to stay with the 3-rush and drop student body off.

I don't like bend-don't-break stuff, but guys, we got out of a Trap Game sprung by one of the finest offensive minds ever in the college football game.

I am proud of the Auburn football team.

I will be even prouder after we nail the Pork.

Well initially I was upset and thinking, man there goes the number 2 spot...but then I thought that last week after our showing against Buffalo....even though we won the Buffalo game I was hoping we would have been up a little more at the half, but I guess that's the problem with being ranked so high so early in the year, we're getting everyones best shot, week in and week out. Ohio State didn't pull away from Penn State until the 4th quarter when Penn State's freshman qb ended up throwing what, 2 picks....and I know one of them went back for a touchdown, and maybe both, I don't remember....but watching the body language of the Penn State guys on one of those picks, which I seem to remember as the first, they weren't trying too hard to tackle the OSU guy, it was as if they'd given up totally at that point, even though the guy had to run a good ways before scoring on the pick.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm going to try to not get so bent out of shape right now because honestly who are we kidding thinking we'll blow out SEC teams week in and week out?? Of course our D played at a level that was lower than what we are used to, but we did get key stops when needed (the herring pick in the 1st quarter, and the breakup of the pass to end the game, along with one key USC drop...but I'll take some breaks like that if they help us win)......The offense looked very impressive, and I'm not sure what really happened in the 4th quarter offensively, but overall it was a very good night for our offense, at least in my mind. I hope we don't drop in the polls....but if we do we can't worry too much, and I don't think we'll drop too far as anyone with any sense should think that we did play a Steve Spurrier team on the road in the SEC.....as long as we continue to keep winning I'll be very happy, and if we take care of arkansas next game, and florida can beat bama then we'll get our chance to show people how "for real" we are again....and honestly the media is all over florida, at least many of the ESPN guys seem to be, so beating them might help, but of course they kept setting all these benchmarks for us to reach in 04 which we met, but then they just turned a blind eye to us and let oklahoma get slaughtered in the BCS championship game......

Anyways, I'm not going to panic too much right now, we aren't even halfway done with our season, and we also still would have to play a conference championship game against a good team from the east if we make it that far....so one game at a time is going to be my motto.......

As far as what I think:

If we beat Arkansas, Florida, Georgia and Alabama, Colin Cowher will be sniffing our jock.

You forgot Arkansas St. and Tulane.. this could be bad... :(

only thing that matters is what u do in your last game. in a couple of weeks nobody will care what we did, only game we got to win big and dominate is SEC game, in 2004 we dominated and beat crap out everybody leading to the confernece game, lee corso before the sec game says "im on the Auburn bandwagon and if they win i will lead the campaign for them to be in the NC game"

ok

so after auburn wins 38-28 over Tenn(2nd time we kicked thier ass) but we didnt dominate and let Tenn in the game late, so after the game corso says "Auburn won but they didnt do it convincing and didnt dominate and let Tenn back in the game, so beacause of that i got say they are number 3 team in country" WHAT, do u not remeber what the hell u said before the game u idiot! Any way this is why this game doesnt matter. just keep winning. And prey to the football gods that we the only undefeated team.

i will never listen or believe a word that comes from that pile of crap

Archived