Felix Jones-Darren McFadden

AURainman

Felix Jones and Darren McFadden are the key to the :arky: offense. They are a SERIOUS one-two punch at RB.

RUSHING Team Cl G Att Yds Avg TD Long Yds/G

----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Kenny Irons......... AU SR 4 93 439 4.7 3 58 109.8

2. Darren McFadden..... AR SO 4 73 409 5.6 3 72 102.2

3. BJ Green-Ellis...... UM JR 5 97 470 4.8 2 31 94.0

4. DeShawn Wynn........ UF SR 5 64 354 5.5 3 26 70.8

5. C. Jackson-Garrison. VU JR 5 65 347 5.3 2 43 69.4

6. LaMarcus Coker...... UT FR 5 45 324 7.2 1 89 64.8

7. Felix Jones......... AR SO 4 31 259 8.4 0 35 64.8

8. Kenneth Darby....... UA SR 5 91 309 3.4 0 20 61.8

9. Rafael Little....... UK JR 4 48 236 4.9 2 39 59.0

10.Kregg Lumpkin....... UG JR 5 48 269 5.6 2 23 53.8

ALL PURPOSE Team Cl G Rush Rcv PR KR Yds Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. Keenan Burton....... UK JR 5 0 399 5 279 683 136.6

2. Rafael Little....... UK JR 4 236 110 161 0 507 126.8

3. Robert Meachem...... UT JR 5 8 577 0 16 601 120.2

4. Kenny Irons......... AU SR 4 439 38 0 0 477 119.2

5. DJ Hall............. UA JR 4 2 360 0 91 453 113.2

6. Dexter McCluster.... UM FR 5 68 232 0 256 556 111.2

7. Felix Jones......... AR SO 4 259 64 0 119 442 110.5

8. Darren McFadden..... AR SO 4 409 -5 0 0 404 101.0

9. BJ Green-Ellis...... UM JR 5 470 9 0 0 479 95.8

10.Keith Brown......... UA JR 5 32 446 0 0 478 95.6

PASSING AVG/GAME Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Erik Ainge.......... UT JR 5 133 93 5 69.9 1389 12 277.8

2. JaMarcus Russell.... LS JR 5 115 81 1 70.4 1246 10 249.2

3. Chris Leak.......... UF SR 5 130 84 4 64.6 1240 14 248.0

4. Andre' Woodson...... UK JR 5 147 90 2 61.2 1197 14 239.4

5. John P. Wilson...... UA SO 5 139 84 4 60.4 1153 7 230.6

6. Brandon Cox......... AU JR 5 94 59 2 62.8 864 4 172.8

7. Syvelle Newton...... SC SR 5 74 47 2 63.5 706 8 141.2

8. Chris Nickson....... VU SO 5 107 56 4 52.3 633 6 126.6

9. Mitch Mustain....... AR FR 4 65 33 5 50.8 487 5 121.8

10.Brent Schaeffer..... UM JR 5 114 52 6 45.6 591 4 118.2

Kenny Irons is worth about 120 yds/game. Brad Lester is worth a little more than a TD/game.

The McFadden/Jones duo are worth around 210 yds/game.

Bradon Cox is clearly a better QB than Mustain, but has yet to have a standout game.

The key to the game will be to put the game in the hands of Mustain, by taking away the run on first and second down.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yeah...Offensively I think we will be fine...defensively we need to step it up and play like we did against WSU, MSU and LSU....Not like we did against Buffalo and S. Carolina. Why do I keep feeling like I missed when we switched from a pressure balls out defense to a bend but dont break type defense?

Stop the run and you stop the Arkansas offense. No doubts.

However, it takes a heckuva defense to stop the Arky running game. Auburn just has to keep either back from breaking any long runs, because they will definitely get their yards. Hopefully their yards will all come between the 20's...

The key to the game will be to put the game in the hands of Mustain, by taking away the run on first and second down.

Thoughts?

Yes, by all means, ignore the possibility of a pass on 1st down. :rolleyes:

The Auburn defense needs to disguise its coverages and bring a rush. Play the run too much and Marcus Monk will burn you. Don't expect to see the same offense as previous years.

Thoughts?

Clearly. The AU offense needs to score points when in the red zone. The AU defense needs to limit the scoring done by the UA offense in the red zone. If AU can score more points than UA, then they have a chance to win this game going away. Eli? :P

Thoughts?

Clearly. The AU offense needs to score points when in the red zone. The AU defense needs to limit the scoring done by the UA offense in the red zone. If AU can score more points than UA, then they have a chance to win this game going away. Eli? :P

I completely agree, Snake.

Thoughts?

The Auburn defense needs to disguise its coverages and bring a rush. Play the run too much and Marcus Monk will burn you. Don't expect to see the same offense as previous years.

I wasn't ignoring anything. I'm saying, you sell out on the run on first and second down. Sure, you'll give up one or two long pass plays, but if you sell out on the run those two downs (and succeed) you are dictating 3rd down.

I'm saying, I'd be happy to give up a few 30-40 yard pass plays in order to keep the running game in check.

Thoughts?

Get drunk, say that is a Sylvester the Cat voice, refer to Auburn as the "University of Auburn War Eagles" and you may be speaking Lou Holtz lingo Saturday morning.

Thoughts?

Kind of like Jason Hill of WSU, Bowe of LSU, Rice of USC?? We have succesfully shut down the big time big name playmakers of every team, it is the others that have hurt us a little. Just not enough to win the game. I don't see Mustain completing passes like that. I foresee Muschamp will have him guessing on every down, or at least I hope he does.

I wasn't ignoring anything. I'm saying, you sell out on the run on first and second down. Sure, you'll give up one or two long pass plays, but if you sell out on the run those two downs (and succeed) you are dictating 3rd down.

I'm saying, I'd be happy to give up a few 30-40 yard pass plays in order to keep the running game in check.

If you sell out on the run you will give up more than a few long completions. You will give up 2-3 touchdowns.

I'm assuming that Arkansas will mostly be in the shotgun. If they use the I, you are right.

I have to agree with Rainman. I have absolutely NO fear of ark's passing game and I bet DCWM doesn't either. Put 8 men in the box unless they have an empty backfield and FORCE Mustain to beat us, b/c he won't. Keep in mind, nutt is still the HC and he still runs the offense. Mustain looked lost against bammer's swiss cheeze, so our defense will eat him alive if they throw more than 25 times. The endless line of good backs they have there most definitely can beat us though, and we should be wary of them no matter the down and distance.

Key to the game however rests with Auburn. We play well, we win. We have more talent at every position (save FB) and better coaching. Unless we give them an early Christmas gift, the game is ours.

Keep in mind, nutt is still the HC and he still runs the offense. Mustain looked lost against bammer's swiss cheeze, so our defense will eat him alive if they throw more than 25 times. The endless line of good backs they have there most definitely can beat us though, and we should be wary of them no matter the down and distance.

You're wrong about who's running the offense. You're also shortsighted to think that Mustain is likely to play as bad as he did against Bama.

Keep in mind, nutt is still the HC and he still runs the offense. Mustain looked lost against bammer's swiss cheeze, so our defense will eat him alive if they throw more than 25 times. The endless line of good backs they have there most definitely can beat us though, and we should be wary of them no matter the down and distance.

You're wrong about who's running the offense. You're also shortsighted to think that Mustain is likely to play as bad as he did against Bama.

Do you mind explaining your reasoning?

Has Mustain faced a road crowd yet? (Don't count Vandy, no one does.)

2 weeks ago Nutt was still calling the plays as far as I could see unless that was a diversion. has something changed?

It really doesn't matter to tell you the truth. I'd bet willing to be that muschamp comes out and plays base defense most of the game. We'll probably be able to count the # of blitzes on one hand. We'll give up some stats, but not scores. The talent gap is that large now.

Guest Tigrinum Major

2 weeks ago Nutt was still calling the plays as far as I could see unless that was a diversion. has something changed?

Nutt only thinks he's calling the plays. Malzahn is standing behind him, signaling in the actual plays. Mitchell knows who to watch.

It's a great debate on who has been calling the plays this year. Malzahn is in charge and Nutt has input on what is called. But the biggest problem has been running the spread and finding a way to get Felix and Darren the ball where they can make plays. McFadden is used to being in the I and has taken a while to get him used to the new offense. His injury earlier in the summer also hurt him.

But it's Malzahn's show now. We brought him in so that we could learn how to throw a forward pass, and with Mustain, it will only get better. He's a freshman and will make mistakes, but he's the most talented QB we've had since Joe Ferguson. He may struggle this year, but he'll be great. Malzahn knows his strengths and has done a good job so far to play to those strengths.

And don't think that we can't throw the ball. Mustain will make some mistakes and may make some ill-advised throws, but he can make throws most QB's can't. We will throw the ball (especially if we're losing) and I think you'll come away from the game impressed with him, regardless of the game's outcome.

The two running backs are very good but don't forget about Monk. We need to keep ball out of his hands and the best way to do that is with pressure on the young QB. We need a good effort on defense and the offense needs some consistency if we are going to win this game.

Archived