Dream Trip

AUesquire

Wryn was posting on another thread about having a goal of hitting a huge number of games in so many days. I know it's been discussed a little before, but what COLLEGE football venue would you like to visit the most. Me and a buddy have always talked about taking one of those sports fantasy trips to places like Wrigley or Fenway Pahk etc. So far, it's only talk and the only real trip like that has been a couple of times to Cameron Indoor for a Duke game.

It doesn't even have to be a stadium as much as an event. Such as the Army/Navy game, UGA/UF...As far as college football for me:

1. Notre Dame: Just to experience what all the hype is about.

2. Michigan: I'd love to be in the Big House on an overcast, fall afternoon with the temp at about 40.

3. Army/Navy: Do they still play that in the Meadowlands? I'd just like to go and be a part of that one time.

Any input on those places from those that have been there?

Wryn was posting on another thread about having a goal of hitting a huge number of games in so many days. I know it's been discussed a little before, but what COLLEGE football venue would you like to visit the most. Me and a buddy have always talked about taking one of those sports fantasy trips to places like Wrigley or Fenway Pahk etc. So far, it's only talk and the only real trip like that has been a couple of times to Cameron Indoor for a Duke game.

It doesn't even have to be a stadium as much as an event. Such as the Army/Navy game, UGA/UF...As far as college football for me:

1. Notre Dame: Just to experience what all the hype is about.--I was there for the ND-Tenn. game last year. It's a pretty campus and great environment. The stadium is Ok but nothing special. I was actually surprised how low key the fans were. I expected more of what they typically show on TV and the media propogation of the hype you refer to. It was neat seeing part of the band walking around campus in the morning playing fight songs. It gets folks pumped up and ready for the game.

2. Michigan: I'd love to be in the Big House on an overcast, fall afternoon with the temp at about 40.--I agree. I would love to see a Michigan-OSU game at either Michigan or OSU.

3. Army/Navy: Do they still play that in the Meadowlands? I'd just like to go and be a part of that one time.

I thought they played in Memorial Stadium in Philly. Did they move it?

Any input on those places from those that have been there?

1. Penn State

2. Michigan/Ohio State, at either venue.

3. Oklahoma/Texas

I left off SEC roadtrips, mainly because I will knock off two of those next year(UF, UGA, will be going to LSU too but went in 05' as well).

1. Penn State--I've been to PSU twice. No big deal.

2. Michigan/Ohio State, at either venue.--I agree

3. Oklahoma/Texas--I went to some grad school at OU. It's OK but nothing special either. Haven't been to Texas campus but they say Austin is niceplace to spend a few days. I also went to grad school at VT and it's a nice place to go to a game. Blacksburg in the Fall, in the mountains, is beautiful.

I left off SEC roadtrips, mainly because I will knock off two of those next year(UF, UGA, will be going to LSU too but went in 05' as well).

1) Yale...been to New Haven once, in the 70's to watch a NY Giant game...it was AWESOME...love to do that again...love the Ivy covered walls.

2) ND...so I can curse them in person.

3) Athens...heard it was like JHS.

:au::homer:

1. Penn State--I've been to PSU twice. No big deal.

2. Michigan/Ohio State, at either venue.--I agree

3. Oklahoma/Texas--I went to some grad school at OU. It's OK but nothing special either. Haven't been to Texas campus but they say Austin is niceplace to spend a few days. I also went to grad school at VT and it's a nice place to go to a game. Blacksburg in the Fall, in the mountains, is beautiful.

I was referring to OU/Texas at the fairgrounds. I think growing up going to Auburn games kind of spoils you though. The only places on par(or better) than us are UF, UGA, LSU, UT, and uat is not bad though I'll be damned if I admit they're stadium/ atmosphere is anywhere near ours.

I would love to see one of those big-time schools at Auburn, like a Notre Dame/Michigan/Ohio State .. Southern Cal @ Auburn I have seen, but that was a nightmare and not a dream.

I would love to see one of those big-time schools at Auburn, like a Notre Dame/Michigan/Ohio State .. Southern Cal @ Auburn I have seen, but that was a nightmare and not a dream.

You got that right. The atmosphere, hype etc. leading up to that game was incredible. Then the air went out of the balloon ooohhh...saaayyy...about KICKOFF! <_<

I have yet to go to Neyland Stadium. I know many of you went recently. Would it be worth planning a trip up there to the mountains and stopping by to catch a game?

I'm 85% sure that Army/Navy is in Giants Stadium...not exactly the most exciting place to watch a Giants game...and I'm sure it'd be the same for Army/Navy...

My Trips:

Mich/OSU just to actually see if there is more spirit/rivalry than Auburn/Bama I still don't think so

Penn St.: buncha friends go there and I would love to mock them for having a weak home experience...

SEC road games I haven't been to: Athens, UF, LSU and Bama

(A couple other but I wouldn't mind missing them)

After 4 years of band, I find it hard to actually go to away games now. I was spoiled by always having the buses drop us off right by the stadium.

I would like to someday complete my tour of the SEC... UK (bet that's a blast, although nothing could be as bad as the library of a stadium that vandy has) and USC are the only places I never went to since we didn't play them while I was in school... at least not at their places.

I will be living it when I come up to Loviest Village on the Plains on Oct 13th, same dream trip I get to live every year!

2nd one will be to Atlanta Dec 9th

3rd Glendale

I'm 85% sure that Army/Navy is in Giants Stadium...not exactly the most exciting place to watch a Giants game...and I'm sure it'd be the same for Army/Navy...

My Trips:

Mich/OSU just to actually see if there is more spirit/rivalry than Auburn/Bama I still don't think so

Penn St.: buncha friends go there and I would love to mock them for having a weak home experience...

SEC road games I haven't been to: Athens, UF, LSU and Bama

(A couple other but I wouldn't mind missing them)

the last couple of years the Army-Navy game has been in Philly and will be again this season.

Link

1) Austin

2) Louisville

3) Oregon- can't recall the town University of Oregon is in

4) Boulder- when Colorado is good again I hope Auburn schedules them, I hear that place is beautiul

5) Virginia

6) Army-Navy game would be awesome! Go Midshipmen!

1) Austin

2) Louisville--went there last year for their game with Oregon St. My wife is an Oregon St. grad. It's a nice stadium, not very big. Again nothing to write home about.

3) Oregon- can't recall the town University of Oregon is in.-- It is in Eugene but Corvallis is better. That's where OSU is (LOL, see my note above). It's funny, they call the oregon-OSU game the Civil War. I tell them the Auburn-bama game is the Uncivil War.

4) Boulder- when Colorado is good again I hope Auburn schedules them, I hear that place is beautiul---Now you have a winner. Boulder is a great town and the stadium is a beautiful setting. Plus you can go to agame in November and go snow skiing.

5) Virginia--another nice setting in Charlottesville and you can tour Monticello. But Blacksburg is better.

6) Army-Navy game would be awesome! Go Midshipmen!--Right on!!

Some friends and I made some dream trips as undergraduates back in the late 80s early 90s. We saw:

1. Iron Bowl - my first experience was in 1989. Little did I know then, that I could have stopped there and would never see anything as emotional as Dec 2nd.

2. OSU - Mich - one of my fraternity brothers had a sister at Kent State. We went up there, partied with the women's equestrian team on thursday and friday nights, drove over to Columbus on Sat and saw a great football game. HOWEVER, the atmosphere was very disappointing. The atmosphere for that game was similar to a game against ole miss or arky. It's ok, just nothing to brag about.

3. The Cocktail Party - it is just what is says it is, a party. Probably the best time I've ever had at a non-Auburn football game. If you could create that atmosphere on a college campus and add some intensity, you would have a gameday that is pretty close to perfect.

4. ut - notre dame - went to knoxville in 90 to see this one and was happy I went. It was my first time in neyland stadium and my first time for tailgating in a strip of bars. pretty cool, but not the greatest experience.

5. ut - nd in south bend - after seeing the buildup in knoxville the year before, this was a HUGE letdown. We bought scalped tickets for 10$ 4 hours before kickoff. the 10k ut fans were louder than the 65k nd fans.

6. uf-fsu - we made this trip in 91, and it was a barn-burner. a lot of hatred, almost as much as the IB. Would LOVE to go back someday.

The only ones we put on the list that we haven't gotten to yet are:

7. The red river shootout. Everything I hear about this game is positive. The atmosphere, the hatred, and the setting are all great.

8. Neb - ok - at the time this was the biggest game west of the Mississippi river every year. Not so big now, but I'd still like to go.

I've been to all the SEC stadiums except uk and usc and we are lucky to be in the South, b/c the atmosphere at bama, uga, lsu, ut, fla and Auburn are a level or 2 above anything I've seen elsewhere.

I have some more potential good spots:

1) Boise St.

2) Utah

3) San Diego St., but they suck and I have absolutely no interest in watchign their game. I would just go for THE SCENERY FELLAS!

4) Hawaii

5) Washington

6) Boston College

I like going to Tuscalooser, not becuase the campus is so great - it's not - or because the people there are so friendly - they're not - but Auburn gets to beat them in their home stadium again. Now that makes for a wonderful trip.

I like going to Tuscalooser, not becuase the campus is so great - it's not - or because the people there are so friendly - they're not - but Auburn gets to beat them in their home stadium again. Now that makes for a wonderful trip.

Actually, I'd like to be there for the 20th straight beatdown of Alabama at the hands of Auburn at Bryant-Denny Stadium. After the score reaches 83-0 somewhere in the middle of the third quarter, Alabama's college president comes down from the press box, asks the officials to stop the game. A bullhorn is given to him, and a hushed crowd watches him unfold a prepared statement.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. I, like you, have grown ashamed of the product that Alabama has put on the field year after year, and the pastings we receive at the hands of our cross-state rival. Further, real estate on our campus has become far too valuable to support this White Elephant of a football team. Therefore, I am firing the coach immediately and disbanding the team. Players, turn in your uniforms. You will be expected to attend class Monday morning. Meanwhile, a controlled demolition will take place on next Thursday so that we can begin makng room for the new women's dormitory. Season ticket holders, your $20 will be refunded over the next few weeks."

With that, all 5,200 Alabama fans look at each other, shrug, and quietly file out of the stadium. "The Misery Is Ended!" reads the banner headline in the Crimson & White. And several hundred people watch on the following Thursday as demolition charges explode around the stadium in perfect synchonization, and the stadium collapses to earth in a billowing cloud of dust.

Now THAT'S a dream trip.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Now THAT'S a dream trip.

Your whole life is a fantasy camp dream trip. People should throw down two thousand bucks to live like you for a week. Do nothing, fall ass-backwards in the money, mooch off your neighbors and have sex without dating, THAT'S a fantasy camp dream trip.

Now THAT'S a dream trip.

Your whole life is a fantasy camp dream trip. People should throw down two thousand bucks to live like you for a week. Do nothing, fall ass-backwards in the money, mooch off your neighbors and have sex without dating, THAT'S a fantasy camp dream trip.

Well, I do live a pretty damned great life. In fact, every day of my life is fantastic. My clients love me, too. But do you actually have a point?

Are you not getting any? Is that why you're so hostile?

Dream trip: Sugar Bowl (might happen this year too B) )

A couple of others to note.... I want to sit in the Penn St. student section during Zombie nation. Sometime I'm going to make it to Death Valley. I'd also love to check out Michigan.

Archived