SUNSHINE

the deacon

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy... :puke: For those of you sunshine pumpers that think being critical is sacreligious skip this post. (Although I agree that players should be off limits.)

I believe that we have a fundamental problem. I know some of you have express some concern about player size but I want to again point out the fact that Yoxall downplays the importance of benchpress strength. I,along with others(to include a former strength coach and player)don't just think, but know, that max benchpress is directly associated with the abilities of those in the trenches to engage /disengage the opposition. Biomechanically it is far superior to any 'clean' type lifts.To stubbornly deny that because it doesn't fit your system is folly. I would challenge any of you to objectively breakdown our game films and watch our guys at the point of attack. I'm not advocating anyone lose his job just that we get stronger.The only time :au: has been consistent in " physical " play was the 80's when we had multiple guys, big and small, that benched over 450.

I do think we need larger D lineman....

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy... :puke: For those of you sunshine pumpers that think being critical is sacreligious skip this post. (Although I agree that players should be off limits.)

I believe that we have a fundamental problem. I know some of you have express some concern about player size but I want to again point out the fact that Yoxall downplays the importance of benchpress strength. I,along with others(to include a former strength coach and player)don't just think, but know, that max benchpress is directly associated with the abilities of those in the trenches to engage /disengage the opposition. Biomechanically it is far superior to any 'clean' type lifts.To stubbornly deny that because it doesn't fit your system is folly. I would challenge any of you to objectively breakdown our game films and watch our guys at the point of attack. I'm not advocating anyone lose his job just that we get stronger.The only time :au: has been consistent in " physical " play was the 80's when we had multiple guys, big and small, that benched over 450.

I do believe that certain strenth excercises benefit particular positions on the field. Shannon Sharpe once said, "You never seen me do curls." Why? "Because offensive players don't need to pull the defensive player closer to you." Sharpe said he always performed extentions and clean type lifts. I would assume that defensive players would have some excersises in common but would also interested in bench presses (separation, offensive too) and curl type excersises. They shouldn't be interested in looking like the next Mr. Universe...

Interesting you say that regarding Shannon Sharpe. He works out at my gym. If I run into him next week I will ask him about that statement & possibly yoxall's strategy of not emphasizing bench press. He's really a nice guy.

Interesting you say that regarding Shannon Sharpe. He works out at my gym. If I run into him next week I will ask him about that statement & possibly yoxall's strategy of not emphasizing bench press. He's really a nice guy.

When will he be ready for Mr. Universe??? Mr Sharpe took his strength training very seriously.

he is still in great shape, but not sure how much body building he still does. I know he was working out for a photo shoot for some muscle magazine that happened a month ago. i see him in spin class & a agility/cardio/strength type class.

extension ( for keeping people off of you): bench press with a shoulder width grip such as used in pass blocking, dumb bell shoulder presses, tricep pushdowns,etc.

closure or flexion(for pulling someone in): Lat pulls, rows, various curls

All of these have positional implications depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Its a matter of biomechanics.

And that is just the shoulder girdle...

Athletic training should be very specific and Yoxall has an Olympic lifting mindset that I think is not the most productive for football.

I would love to hear Shannon's take.

:au: '80, '88

By the way, my friend, the late Harold Hallman, played noseguard at 240 lbs. because he could bench 500+ lbs.He forced a double team almost every play. What a great guy he was. He was one of my favorite players when I did my grad internship.He was truly an :au: man.

Archived