The Key to success with Florida

DKW 86

Turnovers.

The killer with bama was two INTs late in the game. I think JPW had three for the game.

The killer for LSU was when they turned the ball over 5 times against Florida.

We need a near perfect game and some agressive play calling on both sides of the ball to win, but the crux of the game maybe nothing more than turnovers.

Florida runs the ball almost as well as we do. We are both injured pretty well too.

Florida has as good a D as we do.

The difference:

PASS DEFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. LSU................. 6 162 80 10 49.4 812 5.0 3 135.3

2. South Carolina...... 6 132 62 7 47.0 912 6.9 4 152.0

3. Vanderbilt.......... 6 119 66 8 55.5 926 7.8 8 154.3

4. Georgia............. 6 161 92 3 57.1 935 5.8 4 155.8

5. Auburn.............. 6 164 89 3 54.3 939 5.7 6 156.5

6. Alabama............. 6 150 85 10 56.7 946 6.3 7 157.7

7. Tennessee........... 6 132 75 8 56.8 962 7.3 6 160.3

8. Arkansas............ 5 141 81 0 57.4 914 6.5 8 182.8

9. Ole Miss............ 6 172 106 1 61.6 1200 7.0 8 200.0

10.Florida............. 6 225 123 11 54.7 1217 5.4 4 202.8

We have to limit the turnovers and make the passing game work for us. They are going to stack the line and hope we choke. AU will likely try and blitz Leak to force him to make bad throws. This game will be our DBs versus Leak and company AND Cox and our Recvrs versus Florida's porous DBs.

Hold your breath, this one could be a one play game for both schools.

I agree with you David, Florida is susceptible to the pass I have noticed this all year, however they also have some very good DB's that may get burned or they may just pick you off. Plus something else this stat doesnt show is that UF's D is a bend but dont break D. They gave up a lot of passing yards to JPW but the Tide only manage 6 points offensively. UF is also very....very tough against the run.

But the match-up most definetly will be the ability of Cox and our recievers vs the UF Secondary. The flip side is the same though as UF will be throwing the ball and our secondary needs to step up, like the WSU game.

The fact that whenever I watch Florida on defense, I can pretty much predict when they are going to intercept. Florida's D is scary good. Cox may have only 2 INTs this year, but once he starts throwing more, as he should in this game, that number is going to grow. Nothing against Cox or our recievers but that secondary will most likely come up with some big plays against us.

That said, we still have to learn how to pass and take bigger chances on offense. Running the ball so much will kill us against FLA. We just have to take that risk of INTs. At least there's a shot of Courtney or Rod Smith catching the deep ball and making big plays. If we keep doing the same thing we're doing, the predictable plays and so forth, we're screwed. The hallmark of the 04 team and even the 05 team was some really big plays. Taking chances on offense is what Borges needs to do. Its killin us, especially if our D continues to bog down like it has in the last few games. We may be able to move the ball and score points at times, but if the other team can get 7 points in 2 minutes, and it takes us 5 or 6 with a nominal chance of scoring, we're done for.

Unfortunately, I think the smash-mouth football strategy only works if you're really big up front and can execute well, not mention if you can be tough on Defense. So far, its only gotten us one big win over LSU. The strategy on Saturday night should be, as someone else on the board said, "balls to the wall," on offense and defense. Play aggressive and fast and make plays. Unfortunately, we havent done that yet and its bitten us in the a$$. Lets hope we can turn it around this weekend!

War Damn Eagle!

Ryan

Our receivers need to finish off their routes and come back to Cox! Brandon would not have been sacked 5 times in the game v/s Arky had the receivers played better (route running, getting open).

1. The strength of :uf: is its defensive front seven. We can't win unless we run, and Cox can't throw very well when he's on his back. If the O-line can't open holes / protect the QB, none of the other stuff matters.

2. Without the Tebow wrinkle, their offense is pretty ordinary (in terms of effectiveness, that is). Not knocking Chris Leak, but the difference-making plays seem to happen when Tebow is on the field. Got to limit / neutralize the Tebow factor with a spy, etc. (Hello, Tray Blackmon!!) Otherwise, I think, with our speed, an attacking game plan would disrupt a lot of what they try to do. Will we see it . . . who knows??

3. Absolutely maximize the (unexpected) underdog role. Saturday night, Jordan-Hare, #2 ranked opponent, national TV (ESPN, even!! - this may be an even greater opportunity for :au: to prove itself than if we'd been undefeated. If that's not a recipe for an ambush, I don't know what is . . . those :uf: had better be ready . . .

All can be made well in just 4 short days . . . :au:

You can count on UF stacking the line. They are going to have priotity #1 at shutting down the run and forcing us to pass. We need to capitalize on this and not only continue to hit our "regular" routes, but start throwing down the field more. The 15+ yard pass plays to pull the LBs and Safeties back away from the line. To do this we are going to have to run more than 2 or 3 WRs in pattern with a TE and RB as safety valves.. I would love to see some 4 or 5 wide formations on 1st and 2nd downs, not just if it is long yardage situations. Got to stretch them out!!

Defensively we are going to have to nut up against their O. We are going to have to come after Leak and smash Tebow in the mouth. He lowered the boom TWICE on Landry of LSU the other night. Tebow meet Tray??

Not only does our offense not need to have turnovers......our defense needs to force some turnovers. I mean, was their a sign turnover in the Arky game?

Turnovers=Short Field. Short Field=RedZone. Red Zone=Points. Points=victory.

Beat UF

Turnovers.

The killer with bama was two INTs late in the game. I think JPW had three for the game.

The killer for LSU was when they turned the ball over 5 times against Florida.

We need a near perfect game and some agressive play calling on both sides of the ball to win, but the crux of the game maybe nothing more than turnovers.

Florida runs the ball almost as well as we do. We are both injured pretty well too.

Florida has as good a D as we do.

The difference:

PASS DEFENSE G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds Avg TD Yds/G

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. LSU................. 6 162 80 10 49.4 812 5.0 3 135.3

2. South Carolina...... 6 132 62 7 47.0 912 6.9 4 152.0

3. Vanderbilt.......... 6 119 66 8 55.5 926 7.8 8 154.3

4. Georgia............. 6 161 92 3 57.1 935 5.8 4 155.8

5. Auburn.............. 6 164 89 3 54.3 939 5.7 6 156.5

6. Alabama............. 6 150 85 10 56.7 946 6.3 7 157.7

7. Tennessee........... 6 132 75 8 56.8 962 7.3 6 160.3

8. Arkansas............ 5 141 81 0 57.4 914 6.5 8 182.8

9. Ole Miss............ 6 172 106 1 61.6 1200 7.0 8 200.0

10.Florida............. 6 225 123 11 54.7 1217 5.4 4 202.8

We have to limit the turnovers and make the passing game work for us. They are going to stack the line and hope we choke. AU will likely try and blitz Leak to force him to make bad throws. This game will be our DBs versus Leak and company AND Cox and our Recvrs versus Florida's porous DBs.

Hold your breath, this one could be a one play game for both schools.

DKW pats self on back now.

Archived