62-yard game winning FG!!!

Ranger12

The TB Bucaneers kicker, Matt Bryant, kicked a 62 yarder to win the game. I would guess the "Holy Grail" of kickers is to hit a 60 yarder in a game. I wonder how many of those have been done in NFL history? I think the former UG kicker, Kevin Butler hit one when he played for the Bears. Did Al Del Greco ever hit one at AU or during his pro career?

That was awesome, no doubt. Here's what I found on the NFL's site.

Longest Field Goal

63 Tom Dempsey, New Orleans vs. Detroit, Nov. 8, 1970

Jason Elam, Denver vs. Jacksonville, Oct. 25, 1998

60 Steve Cox, Cleveland vs. Cincinnati, Oct. 21, 1984

Morten Andersen, New Orleans vs. Chicago, Oct. 27, 1991

59 Tony Franklin, Philadelphia vs. Dallas, Nov. 12, 1979

Pete Stoyanovich, Miami vs. N.Y. Jets, Nov. 12, 1989

Steve Christie, Buffalo vs. Miami, Sept. 26, 1993

Morten Andersen, Atlanta vs. San Francisco, Dec. 24, 1995

So it looks like he just added his name to the list! I wonder how many of those were game-winners. :thumbsup:

linky http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/fieldgoals

Most famous was the New Orleans Saints.

One of the franchise's shining moments came on 8 November 1970, when Tom Dempsey kicked an NFL record-breaking 63-yard field goal to defeat the Detroit Lions by a score of 19-17 in the final seconds of the game. This record, although equaled 29 years later by Jason Elam of the Denver Broncos, has yet to be broken.

I saw it in color tv when I was but a tike.

haha ya i was keeping track of that game on the NFL site since it wasnt on TV and I went crazy. TB is probably in my top 3 or 4 NFL teams.

San Diego Chargers (Rivers is from Athens Al. and McNeil is on that team)

NYG(Torbor, B. Jacobs, and Tim Carter)

Washington Redskins have the most Auurn players

and the Redskins have no chance today against the Colts today with Rogers out

That was pretty much the case even if Rogers played...

Bryant's 62-yard game-winner is the second longest in NFL history behind Dempsey's. Jason Elam's 63-yarder ended the first half.

haha ya i was keeping track of that game on the NFL site since it wasnt on TV and I went crazy. TB is probably in my top 3 or 4 NFL teams.

San Diego Chargers (Rivers is from Athens Al. and McNeil is on that team)

NYG(Torbor, B. Jacobs, and Tim Carter)

Washington Redskins have the most Auurn players

What's that?

Did anyone remember that Tom Dempsey had a club foot? In other words his kicking foot was only half a foot, his shoe was special made and was square across the front. This probably helped his kicking since this was before the days of sidewinders and he was kicking straight on.

Kevin Butler kicked a 60 yarder to beat Clemson on the final play of the game when he was @ UGA.

I remember Ali Haji-Sheik missing a 65 yarder by about a foot (wide, not short) when he was @ Michigan.

Remember when we played Cincinnati for Homecoming and our kicker (Von Wyl?) kicked a 50 yarder that hit the cross-bar and bounced through? My dad said "well I guess we know his range". Fun memories.

Here is the link of the video for all of you who didn't see it:

Link

My favorite part is at 2:34 when the announcer says right before the kick," All you gotta do is watch him miss it." Then boom, FG is made.

Link

My favorite part is at 2:34 when the announcer says right before the kick," All you gotta do is watch him miss it." Then boom, FG is made.

Vatz, you've been standing too close to the JHS speakers. The announcer said "watch and listen". :poke::lol:

Remember when we played Cincinnati for Homecoming and our kicker (Von Wyl?) kicked a 50 yarder that hit the cross-bar and bounced through? My dad said "well I guess we know his range". Fun memories.

I think you are talking about Win Lyle. He played from 1987-1989. He is now an orthepedic surgeon at the reknowned Houghston Clinic.

Link

Vatz, you've been standing too close to the JHS speakers. The announcer said "watch and listen". :poke::lol:

Oops... :blink:

Blasting that heavy bass at 143db will make you go deaf.

Archived