I was thinking about Muschamp and our D

nimsjus

Imagine the D will we have in a few years. There are so many quality players that there wont be enough PT for all. We are taking these young guys for granted when we bash the defense and the DC. How many of these names are very familiar to you because they are always on the field?

Redshirt Freshmen and sophomores have played significantly this year. Blackmon, Merril Johnson, Sims, Marks, Savage, Tristan Davis, L Ferguson, J Powers, Antonio Coleman, Stevens, J Ricks.

Add the likes of Smith, Eddins, Z Etheridge, D Roseman and others that were redshirted this year.

Give Muschamp some time to work with these guys. We are going to be insane on D!

Imagine the D will we have in a few years. There are so many quality players that there wont be enough PT for all. We are taking these young guys for granted when we bash the defense and the DC. How many of these names are very familiar to you because they are always on the field?

Redshirt Freshmen and sophomores have played significantly this year. Blackmon, Merril Johnson, Sims, Marks, Savage, Tristan Davis, L Ferguson, J Powers, Antonio Coleman, Stevens, J Ricks.

Add the likes of Smith, Eddins, Z Etheridge, D Roseman and others that were redshirted this year.

Give Muschamp some time to work with these guys. We are going to be insane on D!

I completely agree and that is what I have been saying all year. I wish people would look at our roster on D and see how young we are instead of just running off at the mouth or whatever end they use to talk with.

I think that most of our troubles on D have been from Muschamp being a first year coordinator here. I think he may be a little shy about being overly aggressive in his play-calling. I think that if he had shown up last year, we may have run the table undefeated this year. Just give him some time to adjust to his surroundings and get a footing. Don't forget that we moved almost everybody around into different positions this year on D. I'm sure it took a little getting used to.

The great thing about our D now is that we're finally beginning to gel and come up with the big plays. If you take away our utter disastrous first drive by Ole' Miss, we played a decent though not perfect game on defense. I'm pretty confident in them now.

Ryan

If Tubs is going to keep his philosophy of small, quick linebackers, then he better begin to recruit large, hostile Defensive Linemen. Heretofore, he has counted on big linemen to slow the run while the quick lb's read and move in for the kill. It's worked but now our DL is undersized and they are mauling us up the middle. I hope he and Muschamp or whoever will make an effort to recruit and sign these type linemen.

If Tubs is going to keep his philosophy of small, quick linebackers, then he better begin to recruit large, hostile Defensive Linemen. Heretofore, he has counted on big linemen to slow the run while the quick lb's read and move in for the kill. It's worked but now our DL is undersized and they are mauling us up the middle. I hope he and Muschamp or whoever will make an effort to recruit and sign these type linemen.

I think they already have...Greg Smith(6'3 315)

They recruited some larger linbackers as well but Greg Smith ate them.

6'3, but how tall is he.... B)

I think that most of our troubles on D have been from Muschamp being a first year coordinator here. I think he may be a little shy about being overly aggressive in his play-calling. I think that if he had shown up last year, we may have run the table undefeated this year. Just give him some time to adjust to his surroundings and get a footing. Don't forget that we moved almost everybody around into different positions this year on D. I'm sure it took a little getting used to.

Also don't forget that it takes time for the coaches to get used to coaching together. CTT has always maintained that HE's the (real) defensive coordinator - it's inevitably going to take time for CTT's and a new DC's philosophies to gel. Look at Chizik in '02 (Fred Talley, anyone??) - some pretty good talent, but it wasn't until the second half of the year that they started to come together. Without question, there have been some ups and (maybe too many) downs this year for the defense, and there's certainly plenty of room for improvement. But the bottom line is that :au: is in the top 10 in the nation in the most important defensive category, scoring - remember that, in nine games, only :arky: has scored more than 17 points. Notwithstanding the defense's (admittedly many) other problems, those are pretty impressive statistics.

My $.02.

WAR EAGLE!!! BEAT ARK STATE!!!

:au:

If I remember correctly, when CWM was hired, he commented on the lack of size of our defense. I know CTT likes fast, mobile "D" players but maybe with CWM's philosophy, we can find a combo of both fast and large "D" players.

that's a good point, only one team scored over 17... thats impressive. No great defense should ever allow more than 20 points. Look forward to many years of low scoring games. Esspecially in JHS.

Oh, he was much heavier than that when he arrived in Auburn.

Archived