84 Iron Bowl

rchandlerh

I had a geology class w/ Robert McGinty that year. What a pri_k, and I mean BEFORE the Ironbowl. After missing the ironbowl FG, he transferred to UF ('nuff said there), kicked a field goal that helped their Kerwin Bell comeback against us, and I wanted to murder the guy...that's until he shanked a gimme FG against LSU, costing UF that game. :) Shadenfreude

McGinty was just one of a dozen ways we gave the '84 game away. After the game, I remember the Bama LB that pushed Fullwood out of bounds on the broken play @ the 3 boasting "I waxed the dude." Ugh!

I remember the Bama LB that pushed Fullwood out of bounds on the broken play @ the 3 boasting "I waxed the dude." Ugh!

Rory Turner. I still can't figure out how Auburn let that one get away. I was at the game, however I was only 10 and don't have the detailed memory like some of the games when I was older. (I do remember the low points such as wrong way Bo and the Librarian (do you remember how nerdy McGinty looked) missing the FG. As sick as it would make me I would have liked to have seen it again to figure out how it all went wrong. My family had already made reservations in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. Oh well I guess you know what they say about counting chickens.

The worst part about that FG miss was that it wasn't even close...42 yards isn't a gimme, but McGinty duck-hooked the kick about 10-15 yards left and that was back when the uprights were wider than they are now.

Archived