Braggin' rights

An Auburn Fan

TUSCALOOSA -- Auburn fans won bragging rights over Alabama for another year.

For Tiger seniors leaving college with an unblemished record against their top rival, the victory means the bragging rights will never end.

"I have bragging rights for life. I never lost to Alabama," said senior offensive guard Ben Grubbs. "I can live the rest of my life here and never have to answer any questions about this rivalry. I'll be the only one talking. I can tell my kids that I never lost to Alabama."

Auburn has now won five games in a row against Alabama for the first time since 1958, matching the longest winning streak in series history.

The Tigers are also 6-0 in games played in Tuscaloosa, including a 4-0 mark since games moved from Legion Field to Bryant-Denny Stadium in 2000.

Auburn's senior class can also boast 40 wins over a four-year span, the top mark in school history.

"You can't ask for anything else," said senior linebacker Karibi Dede.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said he was especially proud of his seniors.

"It's hard to put into words what this team's done over the years," Tuberville said. "Even last week, when we just got embarrassed (against Georgia), our players weren't embarrassed, because they played hard. I'm so proud of this team and what they've done and how they've done it.

"We've stuck to our guns and done it the right way," he said. "Our guys are good kids on and off the field. They're just a pleasure to be around."

Junior quarterback Brandon Cox was playing in his first Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa. He grew up an Alabama fan in suburban Birmingham, but ended up winning the Iron Bowl on the other side of the rivalry.

"This was what I dreamed of -- playing here, playing in the Iron Bowl," Cox said. "It just made it that much more special to play against Alabama and come out with a win, five in a row."

Senior center Joe Cope, who worked his way up from walk-on status, said the game was bigger than T-shirts or slogans.

"We didn't worry about 'fear the thumb,' we just worried about five straight victories," Cope said. "'Fear the thumb' is just something they made up. We're just happy we got five in a row. The senior class that came in 2002 has won five in a row and never lost. That's just awesome." Link from al.com

"We've stuck to our guns and done it the right way," he said. "Our guys are good kids on and off the field. They're just a pleasure to be around."

I believe this is what I'm most proud of. It's always about character, win or lose.

Woooo Hooooo!! War Damn Eagle!

I'm so happy for our seniors. This is two sets of seniors in a row that never lost to Bama! Congrats and thanks to all the Auburn seniors. Hopefully they can get up for one more game and we can get a win in whatever bowl we end up going to.

Archived