Auburn 2007

lca408

that chart is off. a lot of the guys listed as sophs are actually redshirting this year. 20 or 22 freshman to be exact. plus some of the guys listed (like horton for example) were moved during the season to a different position.

just off a rough projection of who will win starting jobs, i'd guess we'll be starting these seniors (at least at the beginning of the year):

offense –

brandon cox

carl stewart

king dunlap

leon hart

pre rod?

defense –

groves

thompson?

brock

lee

wilhite

of that group only hart, prerod, and lee will be new starters. lee and hart have starting experience. in addition, you'll have these guys as returning starters:

offense –

trott/mckenzie (both started, sophs)

rod smith (jr)

defense –

marks (so)

blackmon (so)

savage (so)

so we're going to be pretty inexperienced on both sides of the ball. new starting running back although lester has experience, tate really doesn't. four new starting linemen only one of which is a senior (all the others have juniors leading the race: daniels, green, and bosley). at least one new starting receiver which could be anyone. one new starting end that has a soph in the lead (coleman). two new starting linebackers (projecting to rsfr stevens and jr johnson who began the year as a starter). one new starting corner which looks to be a senior (lee). not to mention replacing all of our kickers.

that's a lot of youth, and we aren't even looking at the two deep. almost every spot's backup is going to be a soph or rsfr (tb, te, og, c, wr, de, cb off the top of my head). so i think expecting next year's team to win 10 games is a little unfair. can they do it? yeah. but saddling them with those expectations are going to do nothing to help them get there. it'll just add pressure to a young team. i'm betting we start the year (win or lose in the bowl) between 12 and 20.

As we've seen recently, our success next year starts w/ our BOWL GAME this year. If we get clobbered by an average team in our bowl, the pollsters will start us out so low next year we'll have to win virtually every game...or lose just 1 early... again to get into a BCS bowl (see Arky this year and us in 2004). I think our running game will be MUCH better next year, even if our new OL has an average year (the new guys on the OL have some SERIOUS TALENT AND ABILITY).

AUBURN OFFENSE for 2007

OFFENSIVE LINE

GUARDS

Hart/Green Hart is a gamer. He will surprise many next year. Berry/Isom

CENTER

Bosley/Berry/Pugh (Pugh may redshirt)

TACKLES

King Dunlap and either Oscar Gonzalez, Andrew McCain, Antwoin Daniels, Bart Eddins. Don't overlook Daniels, he needs experience, he has the size, the talent and the desire

Don't rule out Lee Ziemba (a big time OL recruit this year. If he signs with AU, he could see playing time next year and not redshirt! He could be like Marcus McNeil and start for FOUR YEARS. That may sound far fetched to some, but Ziemba is that good!)

NOTE: I have Bart Eddins in with the offensive tackles because he will be getting a long hard look there during the bowl practice and this spring.

NOTE II: Don't overlook Lee Tilley. He will have two springs at Auburn and another year of off season conditioning with Yox.

QB -

Cox will return. Fields will back up. Neil Caudle, Steven Ensminger. Kodi Burns (may redshirt)

RB - Lester, Tate & Enrique Davis comes in with the next recruiting class

FB - Carl Stewart & Michael McLaughlin return

WR - Rodgeriqus Smith, Prechae Rodriguez, James Swinton, Tim Hawthorne, Chris Slaughter, Terrell Zachery, Alex Rose, Mario Fannin

TE - Gabe McKenzie, Tommy Trott, Michael Goggans, Danny Perry,

All is not doom and gloom. AU has great returning TE's, RB's & QB. WR should be better next year than this year. The OL while not as experienced, has plenty of talent and could be better.

:au::au:

WAR EAGLE!!!

IF Auburn went undefeated through all of those away games, there would probably be no team in the SEC or the nation that could hang with us.

But,

I don't think we go undefeated. We have alot of holes to fill but I think the new kids and the whole team will settle into itself and a nice groove in those first 5 games.

To win all of those away games would be a monumental feat. :arky: will be physical, however, I see us winning that one. :uf: will be the real tough one. Our guys will be a little beat up by Arky and the swamp is tough, we haven't won there since '94. :lsu: will be the big test. After both away games, Auburn will be exhausted, just like the toonces would want. If we can beat those guys, I think we would be one of the frontrunners in the West at that point. I think we beat GA and Bama next year, regardless of where we play.

I would love to beat all SEC west teams next year. I think, all in all, we stand a decent chance at making Atlanta next year.

Ryan

Archived