HSV Times pimping Saban's recruiting

JohnDeere

The Huntsville Times has become less and less relivant as readiable factual representation of FACTS. Paul Gattis is seriously grasping at straws here, obiviously in order to pimp Saban (aka see UAT media basis thread). This article appeared on the front of the Sunday sports page. While, the rest of the country is reading about the BCS National Championship game, Huntsville subscribers have this 'puke' placed in front of them to sunshine pump a guy that has been on the job 3 DAYS. My question to the editor is, "When did internet rumors on rivals and the opinion of some 'burnt-out has been' coach in Athens become newsworthy material?"

Nobody can turn there head and ignore this BS about Saban. It is everywhere now.

HSV Rag

2 recruits' interest in Tide shows Saban's impact

McKnight, McNeil both warmer now toward Alabama

Sunday, January 07, 2007

By PAUL GATTIS

Times Sports Staff paul.gattis@htimes.com

The top-rated "athlete" in the country wants to make an official visit to Alabama, and it's all because of Nick Saban.

Joe McKnight, who starred as a running back and a receiver at John Curtis High in River Ridge, La., is suddenly looking to the east as a possible destination.

"He's already expressed interest in visiting Alabama just because Nick Saban was hired. He grew up a big Nick Saban/LSU fan," Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell said Saturday.

McKnight's spike in interest in Alabama, which didn't exist even on a low level before Saban was hired Wednesday, is a snapshot of the impact Saban is expected to have on the Tide's recruiting.

Saban annually reeled in among the nation's top recruiting classes during his five years at LSU, and analysts expect him to duplicate that success in his new job.

In fact, that success at LSU will carry a lot of weight in the living rooms of high school recruits, according to Tom Luginbill, the former coach of the Tennessee Valley Vipers who is now a recruiting analyst with ESPN and national recruiting director with Scouts Inc. Luginbill lives in Athens.

"He can sit there and say, 'This is our plan, this is how we got to that point at LSU, this is the same path we're taking here. Do you want to be a part of it or not?' " Luginbill said Saturday. "I think that speaks volumes in this day and age."

Poor Gattis even his editor is moved to writ an article about him.

http://www.al.com/opinion/huntsvilletimes/....xml&coll=1

"And Alabama beat writer Paul Gattis? Let's just say I hope this weekend he's celebrating the holidays he missed. Throughout December the 24/7 pressure of covering such a competitive and sometimes elusive story kept Gattis making and taking calls, combing the campus, keeping up with other news media reports and working to cultivate reliable sources."

Poor Gattis even his editor is moved to writ an article about him.

http://www.al.com/opinion/huntsvilletimes/....xml&coll=1

"And Alabama beat writer Paul Gattis? Let's just say I hope this weekend he's celebrating the holidays he missed. Throughout December the 24/7 pressure of covering such a competitive and sometimes elusive story kept Gattis making and taking calls, combing the campus, keeping up with other news media reports and working to cultivate reliable sources."

The Huntsville Times from Ludwig on down is a bammer rag. They just haven't had much to crow about lately so now they are all having orgasms. Ole Billy Neighbors and the other Huntsville GOBs are smiling again. I will have some fun with them in a few years.

It's funny though, Gattis was quoted as saying "he didn't neccessarily agree with hiring $aban but was glad they hired a coach......any coach.

well to be fair, Phillip Marshall and John Pruitt are big time Aubies, and they have written some excellent

pro Auburn articles. Pruett usually tries to stay semi neutral

from is last article

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/j....xml&coll=1

"For weeks, Moore was mercilessly denounced and ridiculed by any number of special interest groups - radio talk shows, Internet message boards and chat rooms, disgruntled fans and various other Monday morning quarterbacks - as the man responsible for the plight of the Alabama football program.

Some even dubbed him "Malfunction Moore,'' a particularly insulting brand considering the man's long, distinguished service in a variety of roles on and off the football field. The most forgiving of the critics were willing to concede Moore's leadership in raising the enormous amount of money required to transform the university's athletic facilities, but even many of those were saying it was time for him to step aside.

But now, after helping convince the president and the board of trustees that a single man is worth an long-term investment of between $30 million and $40 million, Moore is suddenly being widely hailed as a miracle worker for somehow persuading Nick Saban to quit the Miami Dolphins and come to Tuscaloosa and be the Crimson Tide savior."

Marshall is a big Tuberville/Auburn fan much to the dismay to Finebaum. Of course now Finebaum is Moores long lost son who has returned to the fold.

Dunaway is at it now on 100.5.

He throws out the line that "recruits who verbally committed to Tennessee, LSU and other programs are now opening up their recruiting so they can talk to Saban. That's the kind of impact he's going to have."

He does so without naming any of these alleged recruits, of course.

They're making me sick. I'm going to have to call them or turn it off.

well to be fair, Phillip Marshall and John Pruitt are big time Aubies, and they have written some excellent

pro Auburn articles. Pruett usually tries to stay semi neutral

from is last article

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/j....xml&coll=1

"For weeks, Moore was mercilessly denounced and ridiculed by any number of special interest groups - radio talk shows, Internet message boards and chat rooms, disgruntled fans and various other Monday morning quarterbacks - as the man responsible for the plight of the Alabama football program.

Some even dubbed him "Malfunction Moore,'' a particularly insulting brand considering the man's long, distinguished service in a variety of roles on and off the football field. The most forgiving of the critics were willing to concede Moore's leadership in raising the enormous amount of money required to transform the university's athletic facilities, but even many of those were saying it was time for him to step aside.

But now, after helping convince the president and the board of trustees that a single man is worth an long-term investment of between $30 million and $40 million, Moore is suddenly being widely hailed as a miracle worker for somehow persuading Nick Saban to quit the Miami Dolphins and come to Tuscaloosa and be the Crimson Tide savior."

Marshall is a big Tuberville/Auburn fan much to the dismay to Finebaum. Of course now Finebaum is Moores long lost son who has returned to the fold.

On I agree The Times has a few Aubies but from top to bottom they are predominantly bammer fans.

Don't know why I got your e-mail, but I do believe you're being unfairly harsh on my colleague, Paul Gattis. (You're also confusing "drivel" with "dribble" but that's beside the point.)

First of all, not everyone has the inclination to spend money to subscribe to recruiting websites. It's our obligation to report news, even when it's sometimes collected/reported elsewhere. We do it on a regular basis with the Associated Press and other services. Using the logic you apply, why should we run a story in advance of tonight's BCS game. You can find a hundred stories on the web.

Secondly, we don't have access to the recruits that these websites who specialize in recruiting do. Nor do we intend to make it a full-time business, to hound recruits with thrice-weekly phone calls. It's not the best use of resources for a paper our size, and it's unfair to the kids being recruited and their families. And you have no clue how much or how little research Paul may or may not be doing about recruiting. Let's remember (1) it's an NCAA violation for coaches to pass along recruiting info and (2) the coaches who are now recruiting for Alabama aren't even in place for Paul to "research."

Even if Paul did have access to the players to which you refer, and perhaps he did and he tried to call, he was traveling to Arkansas to cover the Alabama game there and also trying to steal at least a half-day off Friday morning with his kids before leaving, having not taken an off-day since Christmas because of the coaching search.

We've had plenty of advance coverage of the BCS game -- go back to a 35-inch Urban Meyer story on Christmas Day -- and there was plenty today. I can't remember exactly what stories, and where they were located, on Sunday. But you're not even addressing the proper folks if you're concerned about where a story was played. In my mind, with Saban's arrival being a hot topic, it didn't seem inappropriate to put a recruiting piece on the sports front. Again, not my call, nor Paul's.

I'm sorry that I'm being so defensive, but Paul has done a tireless, sensational job covering the coaching search (while also covering the bowl game) and our paper has done some great work this past week on that story. To get your e-mail, when he deserves appreciation instead of something this nit-picky and snarky, really struck a nerve.

Regards,

Mark McCarter

For those who read the HSV Times Mark McCarter is a UAT beat writer. It looks like Mark got a bit testy after I emailed Paul Gattis and cc:ed him. Its good to see the bammer media defending each other.

For those who read the HSV Times Mark McCarter is a UAT beat writer. It looks like Mark got a bit testy after I emailed Paul Gattis and cc:ed him. Its good to see the bammer media defending each other.

I wouldn't describe McCarter as a UAT beat writer. That's probably why he is confused you CCed him. That person is Gattis and Phil Marshall is the Auburn beat writer.

McCarter covers a lot of things including NASCAR, NFL, NBA, NHL, local college and HS stuff, and general opinion pieces. He is much broader than being a UAT beat writer. I don't always agree with him but he is not shabby.

I wouldn't describe McCarter as a UAT beat writer. That's probably why he is confused you CCed him. That person is Gattis and Phil Marshall is the Auburn beat writer.

McCarter covers a lot of things including NASCAR, NFL, NBA, NHL, local college and HS stuff, and general opinion pieces. He is much broader than being a UAT beat writer. I don't always agree with him but he is not shabby.

McCarter's a turd burglar. I got a snide email from him earlier this season when I questioned the tone of one of his columns.

McCarter's a turd burglar. I got a snide email from him earlier this season when I questioned the tone of one of his columns.

Oh I have exchanged some of those with him too. All I'm saying is he is NOT the bama beat writer. It is paul Gattis.

Oh I have exchanged some of those with him too. All I'm saying is he is NOT the bama beat writer. It is paul Gattis.

A newspaper can have more than one $puat homer. Trust me, I live in Bamerham.

A newspaper can have more than one $puat homer. Trust me, I live in Bamerham.

Hey I know. I grew up in B'ham and my Dad worked at the B'ham News. But The B'ham News is a much bigger paper. I am in no way defending McCarter. I don't even know the guy. All I'm saying is I don't see him as a bama homer. JMHO. If you do some research and look at all the articles he has written, only a small percentage have anything to do with bama.

McCarter is not a Bama homer, Gattis is the homer and man he is the worst I have ever seen. Marshall does a good job with Auburn and so does Pruett. You got upset with the tone of a sports article GG? I think you need to take a deep breath and let some anger go.

McCarter is not a Bama homer, Gattis is the homer and man he is the worst I have ever seen. Marshall does a good job with Auburn and so does Pruett. You got upset with the tone of a sports article GG? I think you need to take a deep breath and let some anger go.

Oh, I'm lettin' it go. I'm lettin' it go, alright!

McKnight is either LSU or USC bound.

Bama wont have enough to get home.

Well McKnight is now taking an official visit to bama the last weekend before signing day.

Archived