Dean Seals Records

Jenny AU-92

I don't want to hear ONE MORE WORD from any of you libs about GWB's so called sealing of his personal records, whether it be his "criminal record" or his "business records" or his "gubnatorial records" - ALL of which are available to the public, despite the BS Donut spreads about them. Nor do I want to hear anything about VP Cheney's Energy meeting records. Hypocrisy!!

Howard Dean has sealed the large number of his records from his days as Governor of Vermont. For him to claim that being Governor gives his the credentials to run for President, how the heck would anyone know if they can't peruse his records? So to start a little consipracy theory headed in a leftward direction - just what is he hiding? What has he got to be afraid of? SOMETHING has got to be there...

And for the record - this came from NEWSWEEK - not from any of my usual conservative sources, although it has certainly been mentioned in those same places.

Dean Seals Records

As NEWSWEEK reported last week, Dean has locked about 140 boxes of his own Vermont records in a remote state warehouse for 10 years to keep them from prying reporters and oppo researchers. State officials say these papers represent around 40 percent of his records, and include most of his communications with advisers, officials and lobbyists. Dean suggested last week he was just protecting the privacy of constituents, such as people living with HIV/AIDS. But memos between Dean’s counsel David Rocchio and Vermont’s state archivist, Greg Sanford, tell a different tale. “The ‘Willie Horton’ example was raised,” Sanford wrote after an August 2002 meeting about how long to seal the records. “It would be impossible to anticipate how opponents might misuse even the most innocuous of documents.” This summer Dean tried to do just that by hiring Ace Smith, one of the best oppo researchers in the business, to search for potential pitfalls before his rivals find them. Smith scoured Dean’s academic, financial, family and political records as part of a “vulnerability study”—the same kind of scrub he did for Clinton in 1990.

Among the papers under lock and key, NEWSWEEK has learned, are the records of Dean’s meetings with utility executives about the controversial sale of a Vermont nuclear plant to Entergy Corp. Dean’s lawyers refused to release the papers to an environmental group last year, citing “executive privilege”—an echo of Vice President Dick Cheney’s defense of his energy-task-force meetings. “His sealing the records makes Cheney look accessible,” says one aide to a rival.

This is a totally lame attempt to discredit Dean because Gore has endorsed him!!! No truth whatsoever. Karl Rove has started his vicious attacks already and Dean isn't even the nominee yet!!!

This is a totally lame attempt to discredit Dean because Gore has endorsed him!!!

I think that endorsing Dean discredits Gore, not the other way around.

:roll:

This article in Newsweek was a continuation of the one TIS posted that you re-linked me to. Like my link said "As Newsweek reported last week..."

This is a totally lame attempt to discredit Dean because Gore has endorsed him!!! No truth whatsoever. Karl Rove has started his vicious attacks already and Dean isn't even the nominee yet!!!

No truth??? Are you saying Dean DIDN'T seal his records?? This is something Dean obviously HAS done - the question is why did he do it? What is he hiding? While the Republicans may enjoy a little "tit for tat" questioning of Dean's motives here, after all the Bush-bashing, no one "made him" do anything!! And don't you figure this will look suspicious to the "Middle American Joe" who is sitting out there on the proverbial political fence?

How has this got anything to do with Al Gore's endorsement of Dean?

And I think you better go back and re-read some of the posts you and donut have made about our sitting President before you go calling anything Karl Rove says or does "vicious". He was not even MENTIONED inthis article. What does Rove have to do with it? Are you implying that Newsweek is a Rove Pawn? The snide comments were made by DEMOCRATIC staff members of those running against Dean for the nomination.

Archived