Audit: Halliburton overbilled millions

tigerlifer3

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory/2289160

I don't have any political views. I just vote for the lesser of two evils when election time comes. but I thought this would be funny to watch Tiger Al and Jenny fight over this like they do everything else. It provides lots of entertainment to those who like to read their arguements over some issues.

I do not take kindly to the gouging at all and from what I heard on the radio yesterday was certainly peeved at this story.

Halliburton's contract in Iraq has been controversial ever since the Pentagon revealed in March it had hired Vice President Dick Cheney's former employer to repair Iraq's oil fields without seeking bids from other companies.

The only other comapny on the world able to do this work was French. The Pentagon just ignored their bid. I think everyone familiar with this whole two year saga and the French back stabbing us multiple times was not going to allow a French company in there to even clean our toilets.

Having said that, Halliburton is no longer connected to Dick Cheney formally but this story does have an odor to it.

If I could get one Christmas wish from Bush, it would be to get an electable VP on the ticket and set him up for a run on 2008. I would like to see someone like JC Watts, the black Representtive from Oklahoma, or better Condi Rice. I want the Republicans to get back to their historical leadership on racial issues give the Dems a real death blow in the ballot box.

The only other comapny on the world able to do this work was French. The Pentagon just ignored their bid. I think everyone familiar with this whole two year saga and the French back stabbing us multiple times was not going to allow a French company in there to even clean our toilets.

Having said that, Halliburton is no longer connected to Dick Cheney formally but this story does have an odor to it.

If I could get one Christmas wish from Bush, it would be to get an electable VP on the ticket and set him up for a run on 2008. I would like to see someone like JC Watts, the black Representtive from Oklahoma, or better Condi Rice. I want the Republicans to get back to their historical leadership on racial issues give the Dems a real death blow in the ballot box.

The French company is 60% owned by haliburton.

The French company is 60% owned by haliburton.

:o

Why am I suddenly not surprised.

They were pretty much the best choice. But like all gubment contracts, I think they should be HEAVILY monitored. It's not just Haliburton. It's just about every company that does business with our gubment.

I have no problem at all with Halliburton getting the contract because they are the best company (perhaps the only company) that can handle this kind of work. But the contract should be carefully scrutinized. No one should be allowed to bilk the taxpayers.

Sorry TL3. I am also not going to argue this in the way you expect.

Originally, my only beef with this WHOLE thing is that the people who were bashing HAL obviously knew diddly SQUAT about either the company or what type of work they did, but felt compelled to throw in their useless two cents worth anyway. As for Cheney's connections - PUHLEEZE. Companies the size of HAL are not dependent on ONE person to get business for them. They make political contributions on BOTH sides of the aisle, and have retired Pentagon chiefs as employees and consultants. Titan is right - HAL is the only company in the world that can do the kind of work that is needed in Iraq. They would have been the winner in ANY bid, and the French competitor (yes, 60% HAL owned) is a competitor like Bubba's Burgers competes with McDonald's.

HOWEVER, I am still kind of torn on this whole "HAL is gouging" thing tho - while part of me can and does believe it goes on (I worked for a company that was a competitor to HAL in the oilfield services business and there is crap that happens that would make your hair curl) and it would NOT surprise me if it is true, I also have my doubts, because whenever I did international contracts, ESPECIALLY contracts in the Middle East, there are costs that are not "normal" that come into play, and they have to be figured in somewhere. HAL is NOT a non-profit, charitable organization - they are still entitled to make money, even only 2 - 7%. Unless you are VERY VERY familiar with the interworkings of a contract, and understand the working conditions, shipping terms, the absolute need in certain countries to grease the palm of certain bureaucrats as a cost of doing business, and other unique variables that come into play, it is very easy to look at something on the surface and scream foul play. I would want to see a PROFESSIONAL outside audit of the contract terms, not a "congressional committee investigation" full of political agendas (a la Waxman), before I saw this as a concern.

Let's also remember that HAL is required to hire and IS hiring Iraqi subcontractors for some of this work. In those instances, I am sure that there are not a lot of choices for HAL to work with in finding the "low bidder". So yes, costs in those areas are going to be higher than normal - but on the other hand, Iraqis are working on these projects to the benefit of their own country and their own economy. So it is all a trade-off. And the article points out that the problem on the fule is a Kuwaiti subcontractor.

HOWEVER, having said all that, as a Contracts Administrator by profession, it galls me when someone takes advantage of their "Lone Ranger" position purely for reasons of profit gouging. I have had vendors try and do that to me, and I don't take kindly to it. If a PROFESSIONAL audit turns up monkey business, that will be a shame - not surprising, but a shame and a discredit to HAL.

Archived