Kodi Burns

AWK

Linkie

The Auburn Tigers ' newest hyped commitment, Kodi Burns, is bringing plenty of excitement to the team's fans.

Burns is an athlete - he runs track, plays baseball (pitcher), basketball (guard) and has been a football standout since junior high. Even back then, the Northside varsity coaches were already noticing this determined player. He could scramble with the ball, think on the move and throw with accuracy.

When Burns stepped on the field as his school's starting quarterback in 2004 (just a mere 15 years old), everyone was nervous - except him. Not only did he meet the challenge that varsity presented, he led the young Grizzlies to a winning season. That first year he had 2,815 yards total, 383 yards running with six touchdowns. He finished the season with a 59 percent completion rate (in comparison, Brandon Cox had around a 61 percent clip and Chris Leak finished at 63 percent).

In 2005, Burns continued to improve his abilities, and his legacy. He went to the Top Gun QB1 Challenge, where he threw for 79 yards to win the "Deep Ball" competition.

The pressure began to grow in 2006. Burns didn't return to the Top Gun QB1 Challenge. He chose to focus on his Northside team and the upcoming season. Although the Grizzlies pulled out another winning year, the state championship managed to elude them once again. Burns did manage to end the season with a career total of over 6,000 yards and 40 touchdowns in just two years time.

If there is an Achilles heel for Burns, it has to be his short game. Even he admits a need to improve his accuracy. But with the determination that he has shown throughout his high school career, there's not doubt he will be doing just that long before he begins training with the Tigers.

Now this Arkansas native (whose parents and grandparent are firmly grounded in the community) is choosing to come to Auburn, Ala. He made this choice even after Mitch Mustain made it clear he would no longer be playing for Arkansas. Can there be any question that this quarterback - one who is steady in the pocket, can throw on the go, and can run the ball as well as any receiver - will see playing time in 2007?

Discuss

Linkie

The Auburn Tigers ' newest hyped commitment, Kodi Burns, is bringing plenty of excitement to the team's fans.

Burns is an athlete - he runs track, plays baseball (pitcher), basketball (guard) and has been a football standout since junior high. Even back then, the Northside varsity coaches were already noticing this determined player. He could scramble with the ball, think on the move and throw with accuracy.

When Burns stepped on the field as his school's starting quarterback in 2004 (just a mere 15 years old), everyone was nervous - except him. Not only did he meet the challenge that varsity presented, he led the young Grizzlies to a winning season. That first year he had 2,815 yards total, 383 yards running with six touchdowns. He finished the season with a 59 percent completion rate (in comparison, Brandon Cox had around a 61 percent clip and Chris Leak finished at 63 percent).

In 2005, Burns continued to improve his abilities, and his legacy. He went to the Top Gun QB1 Challenge, where he threw for 79 yards to win the "Deep Ball" competition.

The pressure began to grow in 2006. Burns didn't return to the Top Gun QB1 Challenge. He chose to focus on his Northside team and the upcoming season. Although the Grizzlies pulled out another winning year, the state championship managed to elude them once again. Burns did manage to end the season with a career total of over 6,000 yards and 40 touchdowns in just two years time.

If there is an Achilles heel for Burns, it has to be his short game. Even he admits a need to improve his accuracy. But with the determination that he has shown throughout his high school career, there's not doubt he will be doing just that long before he begins training with the Tigers.

Now this Arkansas native (whose parents and grandparent are firmly grounded in the community) is choosing to come to Auburn, Ala. He made this choice even after Mitch Mustain made it clear he would no longer be playing for Arkansas. Can there be any question that this quarterback - one who is steady in the pocket, can throw on the go, and can run the ball as well as any receiver - will see playing time in 2007?

Discuss

If there's a weakness in his game, it is his accuracy.

If Al Borges has a strength it is developing accurate quarterbacks.

Nice combination if you ask me.

I think CAB can develop his short passing game. His first year as a RS will do nothing but work on that. If he has a good long ball that brings a dimension to the AU offense that hasn't really been there.

Can there be any question that this quarterback - one who is steady in the pocket, can throw on the go, and can run the ball as well as any receiver - will see playing time in 2007?

Umm... yes, there can be a question. I would be very surprised if he saw playing time this year. And why have we all the sudden forgotten about Field, Caudle, and Ensminger? Who's to say one of them won't start in '08? If Kodi comes in and either: a) gets some playing time this year, or B) starts in '08 over those other guys who all have experience in the system already, then he must be pretty special.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I think CAB can develop his short passing game. His first year as a RS will do nothing but work on that. If he has a good long ball that brings a dimension to the AU offense that hasn't really been there.

I'm not convinced that he'll redshirt. Knowing nothing about how Caudle and Ensminger progressed during their RS years, I think Burns has the potential to challenge for playing time behind Cox.

I think he has the athletic ability, confidence and intelligence to push Field, Ensminger and Caudle during fall drills.

I love Courtney and I had nothing but respect for Mix, Obomanu, Aromashodu and Wallace. But part of the reason Auburn hasn't had the long ball dimension is that the receivers are better at the shorter routes. There just hasn't been that burner who can explode past the DB and stretch the field.

Not sure what happened between 2004 and today. In '04, if you watch the film, Taylor WAS that guy. Against Tennessee and particularly Alabama, he just screamed past guys straight down the field and left them grasping. In '04, AU could have thrown for 1000 yards at Bama just by playing backyard ball using the "everybody go long" play. Maybe Cox doesn't have the arm strength to pull that off, but it also seems that the receivers just aren't getting the separation they once did. Maybe the guys coming up will bring some of that back.

Whoever earns the number 2 spot for next season, whether it's Burns, Caudle etc. I just hope they work him in more than they did this season. Even if they handle it like a Meyer did with TT. Bring the backup in at least every now and then, even in big games and let him get some reps. Tebow may not be all that (Personally, I think he's going to be a stud) but he'll go into next year having played in all the big games, including the MNC game.

Also, CTT came out and stated he might have been better served to keep the redshirt off some guys who possibly could have helped them this year. I think if Burns comes in and looks like the real deal, CTT will strongly consider using him. I hope someone steps up.

I truly believe that Burns will not get a red shirt this season. I believe they will try Burns and Caudle (in small games) and try to sum up from there. I think it will be similar to Tate's progress this season.

Actually, Aromashodu was the main downfield threat for Jason in 2004. He averaged over 21 yds per catch to CT's 17. He also had the longest catch of the year, 67 yds. He was easily the fastest guy in the WR corp. I think having a burner like DA was what opened things up for CT.

Actually, Aromashodu was the main downfield threat for Jason in 2004. He averaged over 21 yds per catch to CT's 17. He also had the longest catch of the year, 67 yds. He was easily the fastest guy in the WR corp. I think having a burner like DA was what opened things up for CT.

Now why do you want to go and throw stats and numbers in there? You know I prefer to just go by whatever I happen to think.

All I know is CT told me himself that they could have thrown deep on every play and scored on at least one of every three against Bama. He said his guy was never within two yards of him once he juked him eight yards downfield. He was a little disappointed they didn't go for the throat early or at least turn on the jets in the second half and put four or five TDs on the board. Never said it, but I think he felt it might have hurt us when the Orange was making a decision.

"Not sure what happened between 2004 and today."

No Marcus McNeil or Troy Reddick in 2006 is the difference. Cox didn't have time to throw the long ball at all against the better teams in the SEC and Nebraska. Kodi Burns may be the man in 2007 because he is probably the most mobile QB in the bunch and Auburn only has one returning starter on the offensive line. Developing a line that can consistently protect the QB better be priority #1, #2, and #3 in spring practice, otherwise it won't matter who is at QB.

"Not sure what happened between 2004 and today."

No Marcus McNeil or Troy Reddick in 2006 is the difference. Cox didn't have time to throw the long ball at all against the better teams in the SEC and Nebraska. Kodi Burns may be the man in 2007 because he is probably the most mobile QB in the bunch and Auburn only has one returning starter on the offensive line. Developing a line that can consistently protect the QB better be priority #1, #2, and #3 in spring practice, otherwise it won't matter who is at QB.

Let me clarify. By "not sure what happened" I meant that I didn't bother to put much effort into analysis. It's easier that way.

Thanks to all who stepped up.

Caudle will be #2 next season. The guys that I have talked to down there are very excited about NC's upside and think he might have the #2 job sewn up by spring.

I believe Burns will come in and redshirt. He will have an entire season running the scout team to work on his accuarcy and come 08' you better LOOK OUT.

Overhyped but enough potential to be a difference maker in two years. No QBs come in and dominate as true freshmen so I really hope he doesn't have to become our starter next year. I think in 2008, we'll see him compete for the starting spot but Tuberville has a knack for sticking with veteran QBs, which improves Fields's chances of starting his senior year. Not to mention, Caudle would have been a possible five star recruit if he hadn't blown out his knee before his senior year ever started.

Caudle will be #2 next season. The guys that I have talked to down there are very excited about NC's upside and think he might have the #2 job sewn up by spring.

I believe Burns will come in and redshirt. He will have an entire season running the scout team to work on his accuarcy and come 08' you better LOOK OUT.

This is would be ideal IMO.

As mentioned earlier, I'd like to see #2 get a little more PT just to mix it up a bit.

And I'd like it to be Caudle, if he's up to it. I say keeping Burns around one extra year would suit us just fine.

I love Courtney and I had nothing but respect for Mix, Obomanu, Aromashodu and Wallace. But part of the reason Auburn hasn't had the long ball dimension is that the receivers are better at the shorter routes. There just hasn't been that burner who can explode past the DB and stretch the field.

Not sure what happened between 2004 and today. In '04, if you watch the film, Taylor WAS that guy. Against Tennessee and particularly Alabama, he just screamed past guys straight down the field and left them grasping. In '04, AU could have thrown for 1000 yards at Bama just by playing backyard ball using the "everybody go long" play. Maybe Cox doesn't have the arm strength to pull that off, but it also seems that the receivers just aren't getting the separation they once did. Maybe the guys coming up will bring some of that back.

That's because in 04 Taylor wasn't the premiere go-to guy. And could slip past the defense because you had guys like mix, obomanu and aromashodu getting more attention.

Now why do you want to go and throw stats and numbers in there? You know I prefer to just go by whatever I happen to think.

All I know is CT told me himself that they could have thrown deep on every play and scored on at least one of every three against Bama. He said his guy was never within two yards of him once he juked him eight yards downfield. He was a little disappointed they didn't go for the throat early or at least turn on the jets in the second half and put four or five TDs on the board. Never said it, but I think he felt it might have hurt us when the Orange was making a decision.

Had conversation with a guy that was manager for AU during this time and would wear headsets to keep up with what was going on (he did not have a mike). During 04 UA game TT kept mentioning to CAB to throw it long, in fact multiple times during the first half and we did not. At beginning of second half he mentions it again to CAB and again we don't. Finally TT explodes over the headset saying " I said throw the damn ball downfield!" We proceed to run a long pass, complete it and score.

I'm thinking Cox without a doubt is the starter next year, allowing Caudle/Field/Ensminger to battle it out for #2 and playing time in mop up duty. I don't see any way, barring a drastic string of injuries that Kodi doesn't redshirt next year. With a full fall of practice with the scout team, I think the QB battle in spring of '08 could be a nasty one. If I'm not mistaken, Ensminger was a two star, but the rest are at least three star recruits. That would put four quality QB's duking it out for the starter job, it will definitely be interesting.

"I'm thinking Cox without a doubt is the starter next year, allowing Caudle/Field/Ensminger to battle it out for #2 and playing time in mop up duty. I don't see any way, barring a drastic string of injuries that Kodi doesn't redshirt next year."

This all sounds fine, asssuming two things:

1) The line provides solid protection

2) Cox does not get injured

Auburn hasn't faced wholesale changes on the 0-line in several years. We are replacing 4 of 5 starters. The line wasn't dominating in 2006, and it won't be dominating in 2007. The line will struggle for the first half of the season until talent and chemistry gel. The line may be a strength in 2008, but you have to expect there will be a lot of growing pains in 2007.

Cox is obviously the proven starter, but he isn't very mobile. Burns may be the only QB on the roster who can outrun an SEC defensive end.

It would be ideal for Burns to redshirt and the offensive line to be a strength, but I'm also hoping my lunch will be a steak sandwich and home fries delivered by Brooke Burke in a French maid outfit, but that might be wishful thinking.....

Caudle is progressing very quickly and the coaches like what they are seeing from him. I think that more than anything is why KB redshirts.

Blake Field is the wild card in all of this. There are days when he looks like Jason Campbell and there are days when he looks like Daniel Cobb. You never know which one you will get.

Burns will redshirt, why waste a year for him to play some spot duty in blowouts? I really like the way TT uses his redshirts, he really use that system to his advantage; it gives the players a year to adjust to the program and learn and provides depth for the whole team. KB will have to wait his turn at the starting position till 08.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Caudle is progressing very quickly and the coaches like what they are seeing from him. I think that more than anything is why KB redshirts.

Blake Field is the wild card in all of this. There are days when he looks like Jason Campbell and there are days when he looks like Daniel Cobb. You never know which one you will get.

Cobb wasn't all bad. Inconsistent is a better description.

And he had a good buddy that ended up at Auburn because of Daniel, even if it was only for a year.

Archived