saban's thoughts on lsu fans

bellefay1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the character keeps on coming out. I can't say I haven't made fun of an LSU fan or two in my life, but I also can't say those people supported me to the extent they did with Saban. I wonder what he'll say about Alabamians in a few years. Actually, I'd pay a small amount of money for him to HONESTLY verbalize his thoughts when he deplaned in Tuscaloser.

Wow, the character keeps on coming out. I can't say I haven't made fun of an LSU fan or two in my life, but I also can't say those people supported me to the extent they did with Saban. I wonder what he'll say about Alabamians in a few years. Actually, I'd pay a small amount of money for him to HONESTLY verbalize his thoughts when he deplaned in Tuscaloser.

ALABAMANS...please.... :)

:au::homer:

Saban says one of the locals at the sugar bowl after hearing Saban to bama, I feel like he just f____ed my wife.

Boy is Ed Orgeron gonna be PO'ed when he hears that Saban was making fun of Cajuns. :)

yaw yaw yaw yaw nick saban....yaw yaw yaw yaw brent schaeffer.....yaw yaw yaw yaw football

Isn't "Coonass" a racial epithet?

Kind of, but I really wouldn't call it that. Its derived from the French word "coo-nas-a" (somewhat phonetical spelling there). I think it means prostitute or something like it. It was used by the French and directed towards southern Louisianians. They altered the word slightly and wore it as a badge of pride, I guess to irritate the French.

Isn't "Coonass" a racial epithet?

Kind of, but I really wouldn't call it that. Its derived from the French word "coo-nas-a" (somewhat phonetical spelling there). I think it means prostitute or something like it. It was used by the French and directed towards southern Louisianians. They altered the word slightly and wore it as a badge of pride, I guess to irritate the French.

Wikipedia

Coonass, or Coon-ass, is an epithet used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity.

Although some Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns

The origins of "coonass" are obscure, and Cajuns have put forth several folk etymologies in an effort to explain the word's origin. Some believe that the word refers to the Cajuns' occasional habit of eating raccoons, or from the use of coonskin caps by the Cajuns' ancestors while fighting in the Battle of New Orleans or in the Revolutionary War under Spanish colonial Governor Bernardo de Galvez. Others attribute the term to the racial slur "coon," used in reference to African-Americans  thus implying that Cajuns are lower than African-Americans in social standing. Yet others hold that the term derives from the shape of Cajun women after having children (like a raccoon viewed from above).
The most popular folk etymology, however, stems from late Louisiana congressman and cultural activist James "Jimmy" Domengeaux, who maintained that "coonass" derived from the continental French word "connasse," which he contended meant "stupid person" or "a prostitute without health papers" (dirty prostitute). He asserted that Frenchmen used the term in reference to Cajun soldiers serving in France during World War II, and that Anglo-American soldiers overheard the term, transformed it into "coonass," and brought it back to the U.S. as a disparaging term for Cajuns. Citing Domengeaux's etymology, Louisiana legislators passed a concurrent resolution in the 1980s condemning the word. (Contrary to popular belief, the lawmakers did not ban the term.)

Research has since disproved Domengeaux's "conasse" etymology. Indeed, photographic evidence indicates that the Cajuns themselves used the term prior to the period in which "conasse" allegedly morphed into "coonass." As a result, the origin of "coonass" remains uncertain.

What I had heard was basically that it's the equivalent of the n-word for Cajuns. And just like black people and that term, there is debate among Cajuns on whether it's ever acceptable to use it. Some think it's a slur that should never be uttered and other think it's just find if a Cajun calls another Cajun one but if a non-Cajun says it, it's an epithet.

See now that is an example of Nick Saban and his Yankee western virginian self not being tuned into what is hurtful here in the South! How classless!

I don't see the big uproar. Coonass? I've never thought of that as a deragatory term. Oh well. I guess it may be to some...

"Dahm youu Cohch Sabawn!" :D

I don't see the big uproar. Coonass? I've never thought of that as a deragatory term. Oh well. I guess it may be to some...

Saban better watch out. Justin Wilson will come up out of the grave and put his cracker self in a pot of gumbo.

JustinWilson.jpg

A Statement from UA Head Football Coach Nick Saban

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – University of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban is issuing the following response to comments attributed to him that are being circulated on the internet and in the media:

“It was brought to my attention this afternoon that some comments attributed to me are being disseminated on the internet and in the news media, comments that include wording that can be taken as derogatory by some people. Those comments need to be placed in the proper context, so as to understand the meaning of what was said. The words were used in paraphrasing a story told to me by a friend. I was simply using the same wording used by the person who told me the story. The term in question is not language that I use or condone, and I can understand how some would take offense. However, I think it must be noted that those comments were made ‘off the record’ and the words merely reflected an anecdote that was told to me using that language.”

-UA-

Link to Finebaum & UA SPIN on the matter

If I'm reading this right, it's OK to repeat off-color and or racists jokes as long as they are properly attributed. Is that right?

Saban better watch out. Justin Wilson will come up out of the grave and put his cracker self in a pot of gumbo.

JustinWilson.jpg

and add a little o dat cheyenne pepper

Archived