saban's thoughts on lsu fans

bellefay1

But you can't slam Saban without grouping in all your fellow AUN peeps for the SAME EXACT terminology.

Again, why become so pious now? Why not be all honroable and call them out when they use it all the time?

It is two faced and you know it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only speak for myself here, but I have not called for Saban to be fired. I don't think he should be fired.

I do like the controversy, though. Methinks he may be wondering what he got himself into. First the controversy over his 'magenta' shirt he wore at the basketball game, and now this? All in his first month in T-town? And don't let me mention the no buyout clause in his contract...I'm just sayin'.

First the controversy over his 'magenta' shirt he wore at the basketball game

When I read that (and realized that you knew what the color 'magenta' looked like)...another socially unacceptable term came to mind :)

First the controversy over his 'magenta' shirt he wore at the basketball game

When I read that (and realized that you knew what the color 'magenta' looked like)...another socially unacceptable term came to mind :)

It's one thing to know what it is. It's another to wear it out in public.

Add to the fact that he said it behind closed doors... it wasn't a Paul Hornung incident in any way.

I guess the little chump that was recording him will be collecting unemployment today.

You honestly believe that there is a difference because Saban said it behind closed doors? It's "OK" as long as it's not in the open? The little "chump" as you call him should be given a medal for exposing Saban and obviously yourself as racist.

I'm a racist? That's news to me, as well as God. If I were a racist, I'd tell you. Yeah... I guess I was racist when I cancelled my out of town plans to take a black girl to the prom who didn't have a date but wanted one. I just scream of racism, now don't I?

What about when Reagan said he was an "honorary coonass?" Would he have ever said he was an "honorary n*****?" If coonass is such a racist term, then why is it being open for us in every post? Simple. It's not.

Coonass is not a deragatory comment. It is not related to calling a black person a "coon". This is a VERY VERY silly controversy. Only people ignorant of the term are making a big deal out of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

Others attribute the term to the racial slur "coon," used in reference to African-Americans — thus implying that Cajuns are lower than African-Americans in social standing.

This association of coonass and coon is done out of ignorance. There is no real connection other than perception by those not from La. People from other parts of the country are familiar with the term "coon" and assume there is a connection with "coonass" when none actually exists. This wikipedia article merely references this ignorant conclusion.

I'm a racist? That's news to me, as well as God. If I were a racist, I'd tell you. Yeah... I guess I was racist when I cancelled my out of town plans to take a black girl to the prom who didn't have a date but wanted one. I just scream of racism, now don't I?

What about when Reagan said he was an "honorary coonass?" Would he have ever said he was an "honorary n*****?" If coonass is such a racist term, then why is it being open for us in every post? Simple. It's not.

If those things are true I applaud you, but if they are true how can you not see what is wrong with the statement in regards to where it was? It doesn't matter if it was in the bathroom while he was pinching one off for Mal to measure!

It was used as a derogatory term and some people take offense to it. Do I? No I don't. But since I know it hurts some people I shy away from it. I am also not of cajun origin so maybe it doesn't hit me the same way it would if I were of cajun descent.

Maybe it is the difference between Eddie Murphy and Kramer using the "n" word. I don't know. Instead of being a man and an instituion and coming forward to admit a mistake they have done nothing but texas two step around it.

In the end why must you try to use someone else saying it to justify Suitcase saying it? Just because somebody else does it does not mean it was right.

As far as the word being blocked out on here....It scares me that you are using a internet message board to determine right from wrong.

For the love of god, please stop using Coonass and the N-word in any comparison whatsoever. Some people on the UGA board did the same thing.

My goodness.....

There is a reason people on the Saints boards, LSU boards, and every other Louisiana forum....are laughing at the national media for this story.

They don't care.

From what I can tell, after reading a little more about it, "coonass" is more on the level of "redneck" than the n-word. But there's always that thing where a group of hayseed white guys sitting around dipping snuff, drinking cheap beer, wearing wife beaters and worshiping Dale Earnhardt can call each other rednecks all day long. But let a black guy or a Yankee do it and it's on. I'm getting the idea that it's the same with the Cajuns. They may call each other coonass all day long, but if some white dude says it, the response may not be laughter.

But you can't slam Saban without grouping in all your fellow AUN peeps for the SAME EXACT terminology.

Again, why become so pious now? Why not be all honroable and call them out when they use it all the time?

Umm, I'm pretty sure that most of us just want to see bama get a bad wrap, maybe some of us just aren't as honest with ourselves as the others. You can search coonass and I bet I don't come, except for this post where I just typed coonass, but merely to quote the Sabanator when he said coonass. I didn't actually mean anything derogatory myself when I said coonass.

Umm, I'm pretty sure that most of us just want to see bama get a bad wrap, maybe some of us just aren't as honest with ourselves as the others. You can search coonass and I bet I don't come, except for this post where I just typed coonass, but merely to quote the Sabanator when he said coonass. I didn't actually mean anything derogatory myself when I said coonass.

To me, the whole coonass thing is overblown. What's bigger in my opinion was his derisive depiction of LSU fans as "ditch diggers", his clearly offensive mocking of the cajun accent and the self-involved "*<*>* my wife" comment. He came across as a complete ass in that clip. An utter moron. But they don't fire you for being a moron, they let you coach the Alabama football team.

But they don't fire you for being a moron, they let you coach the Alabama football team.

Or run the AU UA board of trustees.

I didn't know you suffered from dyslexia. I fixed it for you.

To me, the whole coonass thing is overblown. What's bigger in my opinion was his derisive depiction of LSU fans as "ditch diggers", his clearly offensive mocking of the cajun accent and the self-involved "*<*>* my wife" comment. He came across as a complete ass in that clip. An utter moron. But they don't fire you for being a moron, they let you coach the Alabama football team.

My thoughts exactly. I was more supprised that he was stupid enough to share this story with someone in the media, even "off the record". $aben thought the best part of the story was about how the guy felt like $aban had just "f'ed his wife". What kind of moron passes this story around and is proud of it. Big time bulletin board material for the LSU-Alabama game for both the players and the fans. I see a major beat down coming from this far out!

But they don't fire you for being a moron, they let you coach the Alabama football team.

Or run the AU board of trustees.

This is like the pot calling the kettle a coonass.

Regardless whether that word is derogatory or not, Saban used it in a derogatory manner. That is probably what has people so fired up about it.

For instance, say I made an obvious statement about BG or WC. "Those two are a couple of Bama fans." Whoop tee doo, I stated the obvious. No maliciousness implied, no offense taken, all is well in the world. Those two do, in fact, root for all things associated with that school. I could walk up to them, look them in the eye, and say, "You're a Bama fan." Seeing as how those two seem pretty reasonable, that statement coming from an Auburn fan would probably be retaliated with, "Sure am! RT!"

Now lets put it in the context surrounding Saban's notorious comment. "Those two are a bunch of damn Bama fans." Bama fan, to most, is not a derogatory label. However, I made it one with my negative assertion. Everyone reading/hearing that would know that I have a strong malcontent with not only those two, but all Bama fans because of my generalization. Let's say I walked up to them and sneer, "Yall are a bunch of friggin Bama fans." Immediately there is tension in the air, and emotions are brought to the surface. They would probably proceed with retaliatory insults. Heck, if I caught an unreasonable person at the wrong time, in the wrong place, they might try to get physical.

The difference? The word remained the same, in this case non-derogatory. However, my tone and selective adjectives formed a disparaging remark. Saban did the same thing as scenario #2. Whether or not his phrasing of "Acadian Americans" was offensive, he generated a belittling remark by asserting a negative generalization around the term.

Archived