(Hic) kill me. (Hic) kill me...

Tiger in Spain

Teen hiccuping for over 3 weeks

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Jennifer Mee can't stop hiccuping. For more than three weeks now, the 15-year-old St. Petersburg teen has hiccuped close to 50 times a minute - despite the best efforts of doctors and home remedies.

She's had blood tests, a CT scan and an MRI. Drugs haven't worked. Neither has holding her breath, putting sugar under her tongue, sipping pickle juice, breathing into a paper bag and drinking out of the wrong side of a glass.

And, yes, people have tried to scare them out of her.

The hiccups do stop when she's sleeping.

According to the National Institutes of Health, hiccups are caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, which causes vocal cords to briefly close, which makes that distinctive hiccup sound. They can start for no reason or be triggered by anything from spicy foods to stress.

It is not clear what triggered Jennifer's hiccups, which started in school Jan. 23. Her mother, Rachel Robidoux, recently turned to the local newspaper for help.

"I'm just looking for some answers wwhere somebody's gone through this," Robidoux told the St. Petersburg Times. "At this point, we're willing to do anything."

Link

drinking out of the wrong side of a glass.

How in the world do you do that?

"I'm just looking for some answers wwhere somebody's gone through this," Robidoux told the St. Petersburg Times. "At this point, we're willing to do anything."

Anything? Huuuummmmm...........

If your mind is in the gutter, I'm thinking that could be a painful accident.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Place a full glass of water on the edge of a counter. Bend your head over and drink from the edge of the glass that is located farthest away from your body. Basically, you are drinking upside down.

It works. Well, except in freakish cases such as this one.

If your mind is in the gutter, I'm thinking that could be a painful accident.

Talk about drinking from the wrong side of the glass...

I sent one of the reporters an email to try and help. I wasn't sure who to send it to, but I did anyway.

Mrs. Benedict,

This email is about Jennifer Mee and her hiccupping problems. I wasn't sure who to contact to try and help her out, so I figured that you'd know who to contact more than I would. It's been said that she's tried a number of different things like holding her breath, getting scared, drinking out of the wrong side of the glass......not really sure what that means, but whenever I hiccup it's usually only once maybe twice then I stop. Here's what might help. Tell her to take a Deep Breath hold for five seconds then exhale, wait for the next hiccup, then take another Deep breath and hold it. While she's holding it, swallow saliva or some water 10 times. If she hiccups while she's swallowing, she'll have to start all over again. With taking the deep breaths it will relax her. That's just what helps me, whenever I start hiccupping. Anyway, thank you and I hope this helps. I know how bad it hurts to hiccup. Again thank you for listening.

Archived