Mark Gottfried on shared SEC West titles

quietfan

I know it's basketball, but still appropriate here I believe, because of all the flack Bammers make about "shared" divisional titles even when recognized officially by the SEC:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Because Alabama plays State, and Auburn plays Ole Miss, when it's all said and done two teams will have won exactly the same number of conference games that they lost. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be much to brag about. But these are not ordinary times in the SEC West, and winning the same number of games that you lose will be good enough for two teams to claim division championships.

And don't think they won't.

"We could be 2 and 12, but if we won the division championship I'd be happy," said Alabama head coach Mark Gottfried, after his Crimson Tide beat Ole Miss, 69-58, to join those three other teams in sharing first place with identical 7-8 records in the conference and one game left to play.

"It's still a division championship. If we win Sunday, I guarantee you we'll raise a banner out there saying we won another championship. If you finish first, 10 years from now I'm not sure anyone will care what the record was. Just win."

We could be 2 and 12, but if we won the division championship I'd be happy

Mathematically impossible, but that's never stopped bammer logic before.

That's sickening.

I can't think of any better reason to fire him than for that statement. That "2 and 12" statement was pathetic. At any rate, I won't be claiming anything...

P.S. You've gotten flack because you've lost the tiebreaker and watched another SECW team play in Atlanta. They beat you head-to-head. Therefore, you're 2nd.

That's sickening.

I can't think of any better reason to fire him than for that statement. That "2 and 12" statement was pathetic. At any rate, I won't be claiming anything...

P.S. You've gotten flack because you've lost the tiebreaker and watched another SECW team play in Atlanta. They beat you head-to-head. Therefore, you're 2nd.

Amazing sig

I know it's basketball, but still appropriate here I believe, because of all the flack Bammers make about "shared" divisional titles even when recognized officially by the SEC:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Because Alabama plays State, and Auburn plays Ole Miss, when it's all said and done two teams will have won exactly the same number of conference games that they lost. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be much to brag about. But these are not ordinary times in the SEC West, and winning the same number of games that you lose will be good enough for two teams to claim division championships.

And don't think they won't.

"We could be 2 and 12, but if we won the division championship I'd be happy," said Alabama head coach Mark Gottfried, after his Crimson Tide beat Ole Miss, 69-58, to join those three other teams in sharing first place with identical 7-8 records in the conference and one game left to play.

"It's still a division championship. If we win Sunday, I guarantee you we'll raise a banner out there saying we won another championship. If you finish first, 10 years from now I'm not sure anyone will care what the record was. Just win."

Gottfried is an idiot. The only thing I will be claiming is his butt better start coaching or "off the wagon" he will go..... :realmad:

Here is what I don't understand. If I looked at it correctly, no matter the scenario, he loses the tiebreaker. In every case he comes in second.

Two things:

1. The SEC is the one that calls us co-divisional champs. Take it up with them. For reference: http://secsports.com/index.php?s=&chan..._article_id=196

If you'll notice, the little "%" symbol stands for "Western Division Co-Champions" according to the key at the bottom.

2. How would the situation in basketball be any different other than the fact that everyone makes it to the SEC tourney?

Two things:

1. The SEC is the one that calls us co-divisional champs. Take it up with them.

Ya but I mean...I think the SEC has UGA as Co-Eastern Champs in 1992 tied with UF....but does anyone really care about that?

Two things:

Ya but I mean...I think the SEC has UGA as Co-Eastern Champs in 1992 tied with UF....but does anyone really care about that?

probably not, but to constantly harrass a fan base because of them is pretty stupid. The SEC is the one that did it not UGA, not UT, not UAT, not UF, not Auburn, the SEC. Now we have a coach at uat that is EAGER to claim a co-championship when his own fan base bashes EVERY school in the conference for doing just that. This is once again that uat double standard. Nobody can do *fill in the blank* but uat. Everybody else that does *fill in the blank* is wrong to do so.

Oh, and I'll be willing to bet that uat nor anybody else would give up their shared SEC championships won BEFORE the division alignment. There is really very little difference between the two..

Two things:

probably not, but to constantly harrass a fan base because of them is pretty stupid. The SEC is the one that did it not UGA, not UT, not UAT, not UF, not Auburn, the SEC. Now we have a coach at uat that is EAGER to claim a co-championship when his own fan base bashes EVERY school in the conference for doing just that. This is once again that uat double standard. Nobody can do *fill in the blank* but uat. Everybody else that does *fill in the blank* is wrong to do so.

Oh, and I'll be willing to bet that uat nor anybody else would give up their shared SEC championships won BEFORE the division alignment. There is really very little difference between the two..

Win is just mad his team can't claim a co-divisional championship. They haven't finished higher than third in almost 6 years. :poke:

I think the CWDSECC's are bogus and you will never see me claim one. Remember we are not the Bammers. 12 MNC's :roflol:

Archived