Hudson honors Hancock ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270430115

Heavy hearts all around.

Tim Hudson honored Josh Hancock, the St. Louis pitcher who died early Sunday in a car crash, with another strong outing. Pitching with a "JH" on the front of his jersey, Hudson allowed only four hits in eight innings though he didn't get a decision. Hudson was good friends with Hancock. The two played together at Auburn in 1997.
Tim Hudson took the mound with the initials "JH" on the front of his jersey. Before every inning, he scribbled the letters "VM" in the dirt with his cleats.

The Braves pitcher sure had a lot on his mind.

"It's kind of tough," Hudson said. "But I know my grandmother and Josh would have wanted me out there. They were some of the biggest baseball fans ever. It wasn't only me out there pitching tonight. I felt like I had a little help."

Vera Mickle's death wasn't a surprise; she had been ailing for some time. But Hancock, a reliever for the St. Louis Cardinals, was killed early Sunday in a car crash at age 29 -- an especially tough blow for Hudson to take.

"It wasn't only me out there pitching tonight. I felt like I had a little help." -- Hudson

I thought it was a very nice tribute by an old team mate. Hated to see that happen to one of our own.

Archived