BCS Commissioners meeting

quietfan

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Future BCS meetings may address playoff

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

When the 11 Bowl Championship Series commissioners plus Notre Dame Athletics Director Kevin White got together last week in New Orleans for their annual meeting, there was nothing much to talk about.

This time.

For the second year in a row the BCS formula (one-third coaches' poll, one-third Harris poll, one-third computers) was left alone, giving the process an aura of stability that had been lacking.

But Mike Slive, commissioner of the Southeastern Conference who is in his final year as coordinator of the BCS, did tell his fellow commissioners to start thinking about next year.

"During the meeting, I suggested to the group that since we're only a year to a year-and-a-half away from negotiating the next (BCS) contract, it's time to begin to look at the future, to consider what is in the best interest of the postseason in regards to format, TV, the regular season, the bowl system, and academic issues," Slive said.

Cut through the layers of lawyer talk and what college football fans hear Slive saying is be ready to talk about the possibility of some kind of a playoff.

Do not get too excited about University of Florida President Bernie Machen's call for a full-blown move toward a playoff. Yes, he has put the topic on the agenda for SEC member presidents to discuss at the annual spring meeting in Destin. But Machen does not speak for enough university presidents to make anything happen right away.

"I can't contemplate any changes (in the system) during the life of the current contract," which runs through 2010, Slive said.

"We in the SEC talked about the BCS and the postseason at our meeting in March, and we'll talk about it again this spring," added Slive. "Dr. Machen articulated his point of view and a concept to be discussed in Destin, but I don't anticipate any decision in Destin."

However, it is significant that a president proposed a playoff plan. And it's the president of a BCS conference school, not to mention the president of the school that currently holds both football and basketball championship titles as opposed to someone from a mid-major conference school. This adds weight to the proposal.

It wasn't that long ago the majority of college football coaches were against the idea of a playoff. But in the last decade, even old-school coaches like Penn State's Joe Paterno and Michigan's Lloyd Carr have joined the pro-playoff movement.

With the president of a major university such as Florida now coming around, it becomes that much easier for another president to join in, followed by another and another.

Machen's rather radical proposal was to take control of a playoff away from the BCS and the NCAA and create yet another entity to oversee it, a move that would be opposed by both the NCAA and the BCS.

But the fact that the conversation is starting to reach the presidential level may be why Slive told BCS commissioners to start thinking of the next phase of the college football postseason play.

"We're open-minded," Slive said. "The next discussion needs to be about other ways to determine a national championship, and what are the advantages and disadvantages. We've got adequate time now to start that analysis."

And maybe this will be the last BCS meeting to end with nothing to talk about for a while.

If they're starting to thnk about thier next contract, maybe it's time for all of us to step up the lobbying of commisioners, presidents, athletic directors, etc. for a legit playoff.

[..and why the hell does Notre Dame's AD get to be there if other universitys' AD's aren't? :angry: ]

I'm just waiting for the day when university's (at least other independents) will sue over the reasoning of why ND has special treatment. We all know "why" they get the special treatment, but that doesn't necessarily make it right. ND getting BCS money, without even having to play in a BCS game, is not only ridiculous, but unfair. ND getting special treatment to only need 9 wins (which was not as bad when you played 11 games, but now that it is at 12 games - if you can't win 9 games, you are almost as bad as Bama). Some day, some University will have to step up and say the hell with that. It should be an open and shut case with ND losing.

There should be no special treatment for a team to get in BCS games, unless it applies to other schools. Non-BCS conference teams have to meet certain requirements, ND should be no different. But because they are ND, they get special treatment. There fan base compared to other colleges is not what it used to be back in the 70s and 80s and before then.

The next BCS contract will include a playoff for college football.

Sincerely,

Band geek who dated the prom Queen

Heat Wave in Antartica

Rosie O'Donnell losing 100 lbs.

Bama fan who doesn't live in the past

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

Actually... I know of a band geek that was prom king (but didn't date the queen). You can have heat waves in antartica, but doesn't mean the ice will go away. Rosie has lost quite a bit of weight. Well... you can't win them all (Bama fans will always live in the past).

[..and why the hell does Notre Dame's AD get to be there if other universitys' AD's aren't? :angry: ]

ND's AD is probably there because they have no representing football conference commissioner.

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

Actually... I know of a band geek that was prom king (but didn't date the queen). You can have heat waves in antartica, but doesn't mean the ice will go away. Rosie has lost quite a bit of weight. Well... you can't win them all (Bama fans will always live in the past).

I thought that was some serious humor. But apparently, you have to nitpick.

Rosie losing weight, are you freeking kidding me? That fat bimbo is a bigger blimp now than she's ever been. She's one dohnut shy of 350. Okay fine, a heat wave in Antartica melting all the ice away. A band geek dating the prom queen is about as likely as college football ever having a playoff. Happy now?

LOL. I was just playing (I knew you were kidding). But really... I thought Rosie was looking weight.

The only time she loses weight is when all that hot air comes out of her mouth which means she temporarily loses about 5 pounds each time she opens it.

Back on subject, I don't think we will ever see a playoff system because of the bowl money involved. I have heard the ideas of having the bowls be a part of the playoff system, but I don't know if they could ever work it where the same amount of money available to conferences now will be available in a playoff system using the bowls.

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

you forgot to put in when auburn wins a national championship.....

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

What national championship are you referring to? There's no such thing as a national championship in college football. 13-0 in the SEC is more impressive than finishing #1 in some stupid, assinine opinion poll, and receiving some stupid Crystal Ball from Sears. It's much better than losing by 12 at home to Ron Zook, yet lucking your way to a title like Saban did back in '03. Give me a playoff, and then you and I can resume this conversation. How many national titles has Alabama won in a playoff? That's what I thought. The national championship in college football carries no more weight than titles given in gymnastics and figure skating. Apparently, the arbitrary way in which national titles are determined has significant meaning to you because Bama has been the beneficiary of this broke, corrupt system known as college football championships in years past, while Auburn has not. In the last 25 years, Auburn has won 5 SEC Titles, while Bama has won 3. We having a winning record against the Tide. Our program is 33-5 over the past three years. Shall I go on? And do honestly believe Auburn fans give a rip about mythical national titles, epitomized by some stupid crystal ball?

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

What national championship are you referring to? There's no such thing as a national championship in college football. 13-0 in the SEC is more impressive than finishing #1 in some stupid, assinine opinion poll, and receiving some stupid Crystal Ball from Sears. It's much better than losing by 12 at home to Ron Zook, yet lucking your way to a title like Saban did back in '03. Give me a playoff, and then you and I can resume this conversation. How many national titles has Alabama won in a playoff? That's what I thought. The national championship in college football carries no more weight than titles given in gymnastics and figure skating. Apparently, the arbitrary way in which national titles are determined has significant meaning to you because Bama has been the beneficiary of this broke, corrupt system known as college football championships in years past, while Auburn has not. In the last 25 years, Auburn has won 5 SEC Titles, while Bama has won 3. We having a winning record against the Tide. Our program is 33-5 over the past three years. Shall I go on? And do honestly believe Auburn fans give a rip about mythical national titles, epitomized by some stupid crystal ball?

its funny, if the shoe were on the other foot then i'm sure the national championship would carry alot more weight than titles in gymnastics. if its so meaningless, why does everyone here pitch a fit about the 04 season and talk about how they were shafted, etc (which yall were)? its pretty obvious auburn fans DO care about MNCs and some stupid crystal ball. otherwise, we would never hear any crying over 2004. oh, and alabama leads the all time series 38-32-1.

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

its funny, if the shoe were on the other foot then i'm sure the national championship would carry alot more weight than titles in gymnastics. if its so meaningless, why does everyone here pitch a fit about the 04 season and talk about how they were shafted, etc (which yall were)? its pretty obvious auburn fans DO care about MNCs and some stupid crystal ball. otherwise, we would never hear any crying over 2004. oh, and alabama leads the all time series 38-32-1.

I'm aware of the overall series record. I was referring to the series record the past 25 years, since I've been alive and Bear Bryant's been dead. The record indicates that Auburn recovered quite nicely from the nightmare years of the 60's and 70's and has been a powerhouse in the SEC.

Auburn fans are still enraged about '04 because our team was not given the opportunity that every other teams in sports, whether it be college or pro, is given on an annual basis to play for a title. Auburn fans are mad because our team was great that year, maybe the best in SEC history, went undefeated, and yet, got nothing in return. After a couple of years of reflection on the 2004 season, I think that most Auburn fans are content with the year our guys had then, while at the same time recognizing the crime and hypocricy known as the BCS and the media's influence over rankings and titles. I know that most Alabama fans don't understand this because ya'll are so obsessed with "perception" and what all the sports writers think of you but titles are not won in opinion polls. They're won on the field. Since college football's inception, we haven't had that.

Let's just say Auburn wins the MNC next year. It could happen. However, I'm a man of my word. If it does happen, then I won't recognize it. If I won't recognize Bama's titles, then I will be fair and won't recognize Auburns. Sure, I'll recognize our SEC title, but national title, no. Until college football has a playoff, I won't recognize anything. But that's just me.

Sincerely,

Heat Wave in Antartica

Let's just say Auburn wins the MNC next year. It could happen. However, I'm a man of my word. If it does happen, then I won't recognize it. If I won't recognize Bama's titles, then I will be fair and won't recognize Auburns. Sure, I'll recognize our SEC title, but national title, no. Until college football has a playoff, I won't recognize anything. But that's just me.

fair statement, way to stick with it.

The same people that voted USC #1 in 2004 are the same people that:

A: Said Ohio State and Michigan were #1 and #2 in the country this year

B: Mysteriously dropped Michigan without even losing because...

C: Said USC was the most deserving team to play Ohio State in the MNC, even after they just said Michigan was

D: Said Ohio State was still the best team in the nation and still continued to hold Michigan without even playing just because USC lost (even though I thought they were the most deserving last week...) even though two weeks prior Michigan was still the most deserving team to play Ohio State because those were clearly the two best teams in the nation.

Does anyone see a pattern of these voters? They have no F'n clue what they are talking about, that is the truth.

They also thought OU was one of the best, if not the best, in '04. And guess what... they were wrong again. 2004 Auburn was the best team in the country that year. No MNC, but no assclowns gave it to us either. USC were nothing but a bunch of pansies. We would've raped them.

When Auburn wins a national Championship? There is a playoff this year? Where have I been................Bammers give me a break, if you can have 12 championships due to a bicycle repair shop giving it to you then should not our championships that were awarded in 1957, 1994 and 2004 be considered, I mean c'mon now are you saying that all the championships you have are "Recognized"? :poke:

How bout this......We will have a playoff when all Bammer fans can spell Tuscaloosa and find it on the map all without having to revert to a sentence that starts with "well remember when the Bahr..............."

When Auburn wins a national Championship? There is a playoff this year? Where have I been................Bammers give me a break, if you can have 12 championships due to a bicycle repair shop giving it to you then should not our championships that were awarded in 1957, 1994 and 2004 be considered, I mean c'mon now are you saying that all the championships you have are "Recognized"? :poke:

How bout this......We will have a playoff when all Bammer fans can spell Tuscaloosa and find it on the map all without having to revert to a sentence that starts with "well remember when the Bahr..............."

I think you meant 93. Don't forget about 83 either big man

I am pretty weirded out by the fact that a playoff wasn't discussed more.

Before the last few months, I felt that a playoff wasn't any closer to reality then before but in the last few months I have changed my mind and THOUGHT the presidents and whatnot would realize that just about EVERYONE wants one.

I mean....you DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Just make it a 4-team playoff for goodness sakes.

Archived