O-LINE

TMAN34

Any word on how our O-line is looking...what do you guys think the chances are ziemba or pugh can come in and make an immediate impact?

Right now it looks like unless Lee Ziemba comes in and is better than advertised, all will redshirt.

Barring numerous injuries on the o-line, I don't think Ziemba or Pugh play next season. They're great prospects, but they haven't spent 2 years with Yox getting physically ready like Bosley, McCain, Dunlap, etc to play in the SEC. After they beef up though, they both have a chance to be starters, particularly Ziemba, maybe as soon as 2008. If there are injuries though, I think Tub burns a redshirt and is forced to put them on the field if there are 2-3 losses early on.

As for 2007, I don't think the o-line will be a total disaster (great potential though with 4 new starters), but I don't think the line will be dominating either. Most of the linemen have been around for at least a couple years, and, if they were maulers, I think they would have made an impact last season. The line was average at best in 2006, and the chances there will be a vast improvement are slim.

Cox was sacked something like 30 times in 2006. The young receivers, injuries, lack of depth, and slow-footed Cox were factors, but the bottom-line is the underperforming line probably cost Auburn a chance at a BSC bowl and maybe an invitation to the title game (who else had victories over opponents like Florida and LSU). Kenny Irons was a Heisman candidate and a sure 1st round draft pick after 2005, but he didn't look like one without Marcus McNeil and Troy Reddick in 2006.

The o-line is still very much a work in progress. The o-line performed fairly well in spring practice, but it was only spring practice. Most of the linemen haven't had much SEC game experience. It may take a few games to determine who the best o-line are, both physically and mentally.

Remember the first two games of 2003 and the play of the o-line? The potential for 2007 to be a lot like that is real. However, Tub and Nall know the o-line needs a lot of work and it is the primary focus of the off-season.

In the long run, there is a lot of talent and potential among the young linemen, but it is going to take half a season for them to gel as a unit. I don't think the early games against KSU, Miss. State, and USF are going to be cakewalks, but maybe that is a good thing. Maybe the line will be performing as a unit by the time the SEC schedule kicks in.

Auburn will take some lumps in 2007 because of the raw o-line needs experience, good and bad. Once the o-line is settled though, Auburn could be dominating in 2008, 2009, 2010 with the o-line as a strength.

Barring numerous injuries on the o-line, I don't think Ziemba or Pugh play next season. They're great prospects, but they haven't spent 2 years with Yox getting physically ready like Bosley, McCain, Dunlap, etc to play in the SEC. After they beef up though, they both have a chance to be starters, particularly Ziemba, maybe as soon as 2008. If there are injuries though, I think Tub burns a redshirt and is forced to put them on the field if there are 2-3 losses early on.

As for 2007, I don't think the o-line will be a total disaster (great potential though with 4 new starters), but I don't think the line will be dominating either. Most of the linemen have been around for at least a couple years, and, if they were maulers, I think they would have made an impact last season. The line was average at best in 2006, and the chances there will be a vast improvement are slim.

Cox was sacked something like 30 times in 2006. The young receivers, injuries, lack of depth, and slow-footed Cox were factors, but the bottom-line is the underperforming line probably cost Auburn a chance at a BSC bowl and maybe an invitation to the title game (who else had victories over opponents like Florida and LSU). Kenny Irons was a Heisman candidate and a sure 1st round draft pick after 2005, but he didn't look like one without Marcus McNeil and Troy Reddick in 2006.

The o-line is still very much a work in progress. The o-line performed fairly well in spring practice, but it was only spring practice. Most of the linemen haven't had much SEC game experience. It may take a few games to determine who the best o-line are, both physically and mentally.

Remember the first two games of 2003 and the play of the o-line? The potential for 2007 to be a lot like that is real. However, Tub and Nall know the o-line needs a lot of work and it is the primary focus of the off-season.

In the long run, there is a lot of talent and potential among the young linemen, but it is going to take half a season for them to gel as a unit. I don't think the early games against KSU, Miss. State, and USF are going to be cakewalks, but maybe that is a good thing. Maybe the line will be performing as a unit by the time the SEC schedule kicks in.

Auburn will take some lumps in 2007 because of the raw o-line needs experience, good and bad. Once the o-line is settled though, Auburn could be dominating in 2008, 2009, 2010 with the o-line as a strength.

Thanks for the thorough reply...i like how you disregarded MS. St. as kicking off the SEC season!!! :roflol:

A lot is made about our Oline giving up sacks. I dont think we'll ever have an excellent pass blocking line though. What is our line brought in and coached to do? RUN the ball. With Cox running around back there (or lack of running) those numbers are gonna be elevated.

O-line will better this year than most think.

Only IF the receivers can get open. That was the cause of many of the 30 last year IMO. I know Cox held the ball too long for most of our tastes, but if he has a receiver that can make a late break, he completes half of those passes right before he gets hit, much like he did in '05.

Only IF the receivers can get open. That was the cause of many of the 30 last year IMO. I know Cox held the ball too long for most of our tastes, but if he has a receiver that can make a late break, he completes half of those passes right before he gets hit, much like he did in '05.

Agree with you. But I also think based on some of CHN's comments, that this year's o-line will be an improvement over last years. He's talking a lot about this group having a mean streak that he hasn't seen up front in two years. I guess I'm just hopefully optimistic.

Agree with you. But I also think based on some of CHN's comments, that this year's o-line will be an improvement over last years. He's talking a lot about this group having a mean streak that he hasn't seen up front in two years. I guess I'm just hopefully optimistic.

Right there with you on the hopefully optomistic part. Even if they have an average year in '07, this could really be a special group by '08 and beyond.

FWIW, I think I recall CAB commenting at some point that a(nother) factor was that, b/c of B Cox's injur(ies), they really limited his drops - i.e., mostly 3 step vs. 5 or 7 step. Shallower pocket, more potential for sacks. That said, I don't disagree with any of the above; the O-line (and receivers) have to play better, and B Cox has to stay healthy.

Hugh Nall will put an o-line on the field that we can win with. Count on it!

Hugh Nall will put an o-line on the field that we can win with. Count on it!

Aaahhh, Timmy is back. All is well with the Auburn Nation. :thumbsup:

Archived