"Life's Short. Get A Divorce"

That can pass in Chicago, not so much here in Birmingham.

I did some print ads for a divorce lawyer a few years ago. This guy wanted to portray himself as a ballcutter attorney for the high-household income set.

So I put a photo of an atomic bomb blast as the visual with the headline, "Now Available In A Divorce Attorney."

The very next day after the ad ran, a woman came into this guy's office carrying the ad and wrote out a $50,000 retainer check.

Of course, the Alabama Bar Association wet their pants, so the campaign didn't last long. But, man, it sure got results.

That is exactly the reason I got a divorce - not the boobs and six-pack but "Life's Short". I just woke up one day and realized that I was 27 years old, had been married for 5 of the most miserable years of my life, and did not want to wake up at 50 still married to a man with whom I had nothing in common. I realized that indeed, life was too short to stay in a horrible, abusive, emotionally trying, dead marraige.

Now I am happy as a clam and thrilled that I took that very difficult step. Sometimes you just have to know when to call it quits. If that billboard, shallow tho the sentiment is, makes someone realize that they need to make a change in order to be really and truly happy, then good for them.

Of course, some balding, overweight but rich as hell guy in the midst of a mid life crisis will see that as a sign to go get a trophy wife. Not everyone will get a divorce for the right reasons - and yes, there are right reasons - but sometimes you just need a wake up call.

Archived