I'm Switching To Sprint

Objections?

My contract with my Nextel piece of garbage ends June 21, so I've been looking for new cell phones. I want a smartphone so I can play around online wherever I am (i.e. work without being monitored), but I don't want a brick to carry around in my pocket. So it's looking like the Motorola Q is the phone for me.

I was going to go with Verizon Wireless which has the phone, but their data package (which is what enables you to use the internet, email, or pretty much anything a smartphone is good for) is $40/month. I need more than the 450 minute minimum plan, so I'd have to pay $60 for 900 mins + $40 for the data package = $100/month. That's pretty unreasonable.

So then I found out Sprint has the same rate plans, but their data packages are $15.

$60 + $15 = $75 is way better than $60 + $15 = $100.

Also, I can go now and get my number transferred over without breaking my contract because Sprint & Nextel are sister companies.

Anyone have Sprint and absolutely loathe it?

If I don't hear any show stoppers by lunch I think I'm going to switch over on my lunch break.

I had Sprint for about 5 years, got tired of them and changed over to Nextel. Then I'll be damned if 2 months later they bought Nextel. I stayed with Sprint/Nextel for about 9 months, until my phone inexplicably died one day. Wouldn't turn on or anything. My contract was about to run out in 3 or 4 more months, and I just wanted to buy a new phone. They told me that they could give me a phone for $19.99 if I signed a new 2 year contract with them. I told them I didn't want to sign a new contract, and they told me the exact same phone would be $199.99, and that was the cheapest they had. It cost me $200 to buy out of my contract, so I called them up and cancelled my service, paid the $200 and I went straight over to Cingular and got a new service with my same number. I've been with Cingular for about 6 months now and I don't think I'll ever change. They have a lot better coverage than Sprint/Nextel, and the people are just friendlier to deal with, IMO.

I have Sprint right now. I don't have many problems with the service. I have full coverage everywhere in Auburn. I also added unlimited roaming to my plan, so now I can use my phone whenever and where ever I am. Otherwise there would be many smaller cities and some roads (280) that I wouldn't have any service.

I have Sprint right now. I don't have many problems with the service. I have full coverage everywhere in Auburn. I also added unlimited roaming to my plan, so now I can use my phone whenever and where ever I am. Otherwise there would be many smaller cities and some roads (280) that I wouldn't have any service.

No service on 280?

That may be the show stopper.

Ironic too considering the Sprint store I'm about to go to is located there.

No service on 280?

That may be the show stopper.

Ironic too considering the Sprint store I'm about to go to is located there.

It's not all of 280, just when you're between some of the smaller towns. It also depends on the phone you have, if you have a new phone, you might get better service.

Have you looked at Tmobile? They have cheaper plans and some pretty cool smartphones. I have the TMobile Dash and it's amazing. It also has built in wi-fi so if you are around wireless internet, you dont even have to pay for the data package.

My wife and I has Sprint in Atlanta and suffered from constant dropped calls and not being able to make a call at all during peak hours. That was about 3 years ago so it might be better now.

Have you looked at Tmobile? They have cheaper plans and some pretty cool smartphones. I have the TMobile Dash and it's amazing. It also has built in wi-fi so if you are around wireless internet, you dont even have to pay for the data package.

I would possibly consider T-Mobile, but their data packages are almost as high as Verizon's.

I think when you can get a data package for $15/month it's worth getting so you can log on where there's no hotspots I can log into.

Well, I went with my gut and I'm currently writing this from my Q from the bar. (Fox & Hound, not Banana Joe's, BG.)

Well, I went with my gut and I'm currently writing this from my Q from the bar. (Fox & Hound, not Banana Joe's, BG.)

Fox on Tuesdays...you may see me there next week.

Because chicks flock to a guy posting on a message board from his Q...

If you pull up to the bar in a Civic then the chicks flock!

I've got Verizon service. I have the XV6700 PocketPC phone. It slides to reveal the qwerty keyboard, which is much easier to type on than the others IMO. THe data packet is more expensive. It does have built in wifi, also. Best coverage I have found around the Auburn area. Plus Verizon has put up several mini towers around JHS.

Fox on Tuesdays...you may see me there next week.

We're there frequently, although they've started getting that annoying DJ, so it actually ends up kind of feeling like Banana Joe's. Except worse cause at F&H you're there to chill & drink your beer at your table not to scream over the bass.

Archived