Last Chance

80Tiger

This has probably been kicked around by now, but I was driving through Hoover this a.m. and passed one of the buses taking people to the senior's golf tournament. I noticed many of the riders on the bus in their UAT clothes. Of course NS is playing in the pro-am. I began wondering how many UAT fans have bought in to NS so emotionally that if he does not pan out what happens to their fan base and program. From their actions I believe it is evident that they are starved for immediate success. My question is that if NS is not successful up to their expectations, will they ever be? Can they ever recover? Will they become Ole Miss? My thinking is, this could be it.

Their problem, which many of their fans will not recognize, is that they have not had and currently do not have the level of talent that FL, GA, TN, AU, and LSU, have year in and year out. And this is not a probation thing. This has been going on for years. Based on what most of "experts" thought about their recruiting class, next year will be no different from a talent level. So after two years under NS and say averaging 4 losses (5 losses is a real possibility for this year) will the they be done?

I hope the SEC coaches (espicially TT, Fulmer and Miles) recognize this and really put the foot on the neck over the next few years. I am not writing this as flame, but a legitimate issue. Some may say it has already happened. I don't think so, but I think it is close, and that is some of the reasoning behind the Saban worship that is going on (fans and media).

I think if Nick Saban doesn't make it at Alabama in the next three years, there will be a lynch mob on the Capstone. He represents Alabama's last, best hope to avoid coming mediocrity, and they know it.

If the man had been smart, he would have made some very public statements about how long this will take. To his credit, he made one or two token remarks to that effect. But he should have told everybody sportswriter from Paul Finebaum on down to put a sock in it and to quit building expectations. As it stands now, you have otherwise rational people actually believing that Alabama has a legitimate shot at a BCS bowl this year. Heck, I met one at a party the other night.

I think he'll be hard pressed to get 8 wins this year. What's more, I bet everybody who beats him will beat him badly simply because he's so despised. What's more, I don't think he'll be able to recruit the way he did at LSU, chiefly because he had Louisiana basically to himself.

This has probably been kicked around by now, but I was driving through Hoover this a.m. and passed one of the buses taking people to the senior's golf tournament. I noticed many of the riders on the bus in their UAT clothes. Of course NS is playing in the pro-am. I began wondering how many UAT fans have bought in to NS so emotionally that if he does not pan out what happens to their fan base and program. From their actions I believe it is evident that they are starved for immediate success. My question is that if NS is not successful up to their expectations, will they ever be? Can they ever recover? Will they become Ole Miss? My thinking is, this could be it.

Their problem, which many of their fans will not recognize, is that they have not had and currently do not have the level of talent that FL, GA, TN, AU, and LSU, have year in and year out. And this is not a probation thing. This has been going on for years. Based on what most of "experts" thought about their recruiting class, next year will be no different from a talent level. So after two years under NS and say averaging 4 losses (5 losses is a real possibility for this year) will the they be done?

I hope the SEC coaches (espicially TT, Fulmer and Miles) recognize this and really put the foot on the neck over the next few years. I am not writing this as flame, but a legitimate issue. Some may say it has already happened. I don't think so, but I think it is close, and that is some of the reasoning behind the Saban worship that is going on (fans and media).

Fanatic fanbase + MNC HC = OU and Schnellenberger Part Deux.

Oklahoma Sooners

Schnellenberger left Louisville in 1995 to take the job as head coach at Oklahoma. He lasted only one year there, as the Sooners struggled to a 5-5-1 record (including a shutout lost to in-state rival Oklahoma State. On December 19, 1995, Schnellenberger resigned unexpectedly after one season, stating that "in recent months a climate has developed toward the program, understandably in some cases and perhaps unfairly in others, that has changed my outlook on the situation. A change could help improve that climate."[2]

Someone beat me to the Oklahoma argument.

But, I think if Saban doesn't pan out, Bama will be in serious trouble for a while. I know that Bama fans like to think they've overcome the "Bear-sickness," but the reason why they're so excited is because they've hired LSU's "Bear." Oklahoma needed an unknown coach who knew his X's and O's, who wasn't hyped, who didn't already have his own idea of what it took to be a head coach, and who was excited. I find it hard to believe that Saban is super excited about coaching Alabama. His ego wants to win but I think his heart isn't going to be there for long. If Saban is there for three years and can't win, the Alabama program will be forced to start searching for their own Bob Stoops. They'll have to be the forgotten team of yesterday until someone can come in and start from scratch - no Bear relation, no Bama relation, no godlike reputation.

I've said since the day he was hired that this is their end-game. If this doesn't "work" there is nothing else left. The wad is shot. Could be apocalyptic.

I do believe they are headed the way of Ole Miss. Running about 15 years behind the Rebs. So their 40-year wandering through the desert should be just getting started.

Eh, he's got three years to win before he's outta there.

He'll start winning at least by 2009. I think that's their year. In fact, I think it may be their only year in $atan's tenure. He'll go 8-4 or 7-5 in 07, probably 9-3, maybe 10-2 in 08, and I would assume 10-2 in 09 and be in contention for SEC title. After that, $atan won't be round too much longer. Two straight losses to Auburn in 07 and 08 wouldn't help his case either. Not to mention blowing it in 09 as well.

Ryan

Do y'all really believe that if he doesn't succeed then Alabama football will forever be relegated to mediocrity? Come on. They will eventually be good again, just not dominant. What do you honestly envision happening if Saban were to leave in the next couple years? The AD, President, boosters, and fans to all just throw their hands up and say "Well that's it! We quit." Get real.

Eh, he's got three years to win before he's outta there.

He'll start winning at least by 2009. I think that's their year. In fact, I think it may be their only year in $atan's tenure. He'll go 8-4 or 7-5 in 07, probably 9-3, maybe 10-2 in 08, and I would assume 10-2 in 09 and be in contention for SEC title. After that, $atan won't be round too much longer. Two straight losses to Auburn in 07 and 08 wouldn't help his case either. Not to mention blowing it in 09 as well.

Ryan

Missing the point, Ryan.

The point is that when this doesn't work, when Saban doesn't bring back the "glory days" what else will they have to pin their hopes on? They've tried in the family (DuBose, Shula, Perkins, Stallings). They've tried outside the family (Franchione, Curry, Price). None of them managed to do what they thought they should -- and none lasted over five years.

So in a state of desperation, foaming at the mouth panic, they threw a bajillion dollars at a coach with a suspect resume and annointed him Savior of the Universe. When (not if) he fails to morph into Bryant the garments will be rended and teeth will gnash. This is it. The last shot. If they can't turn this one to the dark side, the whole empire will crumble. They'll HAVE to admit that it's NEVER going to happen and at the moment that realization sinks in the basis of their entire lives will have no meaning. It'll be like waking up to another Christmas with no presents and finally accepting the fact that Santa just don't love you and isn't coming.

Don't buy the "we'll be patient and accept a coach who has us competing" lie either. We saw that debunked when Curry was in Tuscaloosa. Alabama was competitive. His last season they were briefly in contention for the national title -- and it was Curry's recruits almost exclusively who carried Stallings off the field a few years later. We've already been down that road and we know they're lying.

When Saban fails to live up to expectations, the end game is afoot. Just think, you'll be able to tell your grandkids that you saw the death star explode.

I think there's a lot more involved here than just Saban winning and losing. There's going to be a change at AD soon. Everyone thinks Ozzie Newsome is going to be next in line, since he's GM with the Ravens. I don't see him meshing with Saban well. I also see Alabama having a hard time hiring an African American AD with the way the Sly Croom potential hiring was handled by people I heard from. There are a lot of politics surrounding the situation with board members, sitting presidents, outgoing AD's, incoming AD's that could really make things interesting. I really think Alabama faithful will give him more time since he has a successful record as a HC unlike Shula. But he also make appear like a flop based on his decline with the dolphins and then in the college game if he's not successful. I think he'll be competitive and win. Question is, will it be enough success and enough wins to pacify the fans.

I think there's a lot more involved here than just Saban winning and losing. There's going to be a change at AD soon. Everyone thinks Ozzie Newsome is going to be next in line, since he's GM with the Ravens. I don't see him meshing with Saban well. I also see Alabama having a hard time hiring an African American AD with the way the Sly Croom potential hiring was handled by people I heard from. There are a lot of politics surrounding the situation with board members, sitting presidents, outgoing AD's, incoming AD's that could really make things interesting. I really think Alabama faithful will give him more time since he has a successful record as a HC unlike Shula. But he also make appear like a flop based on his decline with the dolphins and then in the college game if he's not successful. I think he'll be competitive and win. Question is, will it be enough success and enough wins to pacify the fans.

Why would Ozzie not fit at UA? We love Ozzie and all are fans support him becoming the next AD.

He recently said that he'd come to Alabama even if they "made me the janitor." He'll be here in 2010.

Why would Ozzie not fit at UA? We love Ozzie and all are fans support him becoming the next AD.

He recently said that he'd come to Alabama even if they "made me the janitor." He'll be here in 2010.

The fans might but what about the board members whose names end in "The Thurd and The Ferth?" They just might make him the janitor....

That's urban legend. He's been approached before and quietly said "uhhhh, NAW. HELL naw."

Not everybody's willing to crawl across broken glass to get there, win. In fact nobody is.

Do y'all really believe that if he doesn't succeed then Alabama football will forever be relegated to mediocrity? Come on. They will eventually be good again, just not dominant. What do you honestly envision happening if Saban were to leave in the next couple years? The AD, President, boosters, and fans to all just throw their hands up and say "Well that's it! We quit." Get real.

Yes. We really do believe that. They might not EVER be good again because they're plagued with delusion. If it's not the glory days of the Bear, it's the success of the future that's predestined for them. Bama fans aren't like other fanbases. They're a proud group, but to a fault. When they win the Iron Bowl, they think, "That's how it should be." For the past twenty years, Alabama has made mistake after mistake with their coaching staffs and it's led them where? They've had three head coaches in the last five years. A 10-win season wasn't good enough for Mike Shula. Now, the Sultan of Bastardism, has been given 4 million dollars a year to turn a decrepit program into one that resembles modern day Southern Cal, Florida St of the 90s, Miami of the 80s. When Saban doesn't succeed, Bama is out of options. Yes, I envision the AD, President, boosters, fans, and former players to all throw up their hands and say, "WE'VE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT GOES ALONG WITH OUR WAY OF THINKING. WHAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM WITH OUR PROGRAM?"

Yes. We really do believe that. They might not EVER be good again because they're plagued with delusion. If it's not the glory days of the Bear, it's the success of the future that's predestined for them. Bama fans aren't like other fanbases. They're a proud group, but to a fault. When they win the Iron Bowl, they think, "That's how it should be." For the past twenty years, Alabama has made mistake after mistake with their coaching staffs and it's led them where? They've had three head coaches in the last five years. A 10-win season wasn't good enough for Mike Shula. Now, the Sultan of Bastardism, has been given 4 million dollars a year to turn a decrepit program into one that resembles modern day Southern Cal, Florida St of the 90s, Miami of the 80s. When Saban doesn't succeed, Bama is out of options. Yes, I envision the AD, President, boosters, fans, and former players to all throw up their hands and say, "WE'VE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT GOES ALONG WITH OUR WAY OF THINKING. WHAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM WITH OUR PROGRAM?"

Alabama = Ole Miss. You couldn't have convinced them in the 80s that the glory days of the 60s weren't just around the corner. The next coach, the next AD, the next stadium enhancement -- that's gonna do it. Bama's just a few years away from having to yank some buffoon off the scrap heap (Orgeron) and claim he's the guy to resurrect them.

Ever talked to an Ole Miss fan? They're just as full of themselves as Bama fans. They think their rightful place is battling LSU for the SEC title. Most of them haven't realized the 50s/60s are over yet. It's starting to sink in now, but there are still quite a few who can't see the light. No different than Bama. The Turds were bigger than Ole Miss and it will just take them a little longer to fall.

That's urban legend. He's been approached before and quietly said "uhhhh, NAW. HELL naw."

Not everybody's willing to crawl across broken glass to get there, win. In fact nobody is.

thats odd, they directly quoted him in a story in the Mobile Press-Register a few days ago saying exactly what WC said. oh, i forgot.....with you, everything the media says is a lie unless its something good about auburn or something bad about bama. nevermind then.

thats odd, they directly quoted him in a story in the Mobile Press-Register a few days ago saying exactly what WC said. oh, i forgot.....with you, everything the media says is a lie unless its something good about auburn or something bad about bama. nevermind then.

You believe what you want. They've already talked to him and he's already said thanks but no thanks. I don't care what he says for the public, it's what he says in private that matters.

Do I believe what the Press Register reported? Not so much. You can, though, if it makes you feel better.

You believe what you want. They've already talked to him and he's already said thanks but no thanks. I don't care what he says for the public, it's what he says in private that matters.

Do I believe what the Press Register reported? Not so much. You can, though, if it makes you feel better.

oh, i see. i wasn't aware that he personally called you and told you that. i'm not going to speculate what his intentions would be or what they are, i'm not him. all i'm saying is he said what he said so take that fwiw.

oh, i see. i wasn't aware that he personally called you and told you that. i'm not going to speculate what his intentions would be or what they are, i'm not him. all i'm saying is he said what he said so take that fwiw.

No, he didn't personally call me. You can be as snide as you want to be, but I've got a few contacts both in the NFL and deep inside the Bama spin machine. I know he was contacted. I know what he said to the people who tested the waters with him. You can take that fwiw.

As for the article in question you can interpret that any way you want. It was pretty clear he was being political and pandering to the reporter. The janitor comment is an obvious indication that he was just playing politics.

Archived