Naughty Cocks pulling a Saban.

WAR-MATT

South Carolina reports list of secondary NCAA violations

Associated Press

Updated: June 22, 2007, 7:40 PM ET

South Carolina football coaches twice contacted athletes when they shouldn't have, among the eight NCAA secondary violations reported since January that the athletic department released on Friday.

The school said the NCAA granted all requests to restore athlete eligibility in the violations. South Carolina routinely releases its secondary violations and wellness report. It did not identify any of the coaches or athletes involved in NCAA violations or its drug testing program.

The university reported on Jan. 29 that the football coaching staff had contact with a prospective athlete on a competition day in another sport. Then on March 7 South Carolina said its football staff contacted a prospect, "outside of the permissible contact period."

Another violation, reported in April, concerned the use of a picture of a current athlete in a football camp brochure, also against NCAA rules.

Last semester, the school also reported three secondary violations involving the football program -- one of which dealt with longtime practice of football coach Steve Spurrier's wife sending her good wishes to prospects who had signed with her husband's teams.

The other violations from the current semester were:

-- A baseball player practiced and played while not enrolled full-time.

-- A men's track athlete practiced and competed while not enrolled full-time.

-- Two women's soccer players competed for an outside team before the end of the final exam period.

-- The volleyball coaching staff conducted required athletically related activities the week before final exams.

-- A women's tennis player competed as part of a team in a league considered professional.

Five of the secondary violations were classified as Level I, which means reports are sent from the Southeastern Conference to the NCAA enforcement staff for review. The rest are Level II, which the league office forwards to the NCAA at the end of the academic year.

Also, South Carolina reported six positive tests for marijuana and one for a prescription drug without an authorized prescription.

The athletic department said it conducted 41 tests for anabolic steroids and 200 for drugs of abuse during the past six months.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I guess they are going to get the death penalty like us for a MINOR violation.

I sure do hope every newspaper on the planet decides to make a big deal out of this.

I sure do hope every newspaper on the planet decides to make a big deal out of this.

:no: Cry me a river.

:no: Cry me a river.

Someone call the wahhhhhhhhhh-mbulance.

That's all you guys have to say? After making a big friggin deal about it when Saban did it?

After all the holier than thou pious speeches about how we were going back on probation...and it was some egregious transgression against the purity of the sport...NOOOW you don't want to do the same for SOS?

It's not so fun now that you realize that everyone does it...

This happened last year Arkansas vs. South Carolina..

Headline: "Nutt inserts Dick in place of Johnson against the Cocks."

That is all.

Sorry, just read the title to this thread and remembered that one...

BG, you may now continue with your regularly scheduled cry.

That's all you guys have to say? After making a big friggin deal about it when Saban did it?

After all the holier than thou pious speeches about how we were going back on probation...and it was some egregious transgression against the purity of the sport...NOOOW you don't want to do the same for SOS?

i absolutely love all your attempts at making us feel bad. they're really heartfelt. i can tell you mean it. you probably even got a little misty. :moon:

I must have taken to many hits playing football can you explain that vocabulary quiz you just gave us, I cant remember ever in my life having a egregious transgression with anybody's purity

Guest Tigrinum Major

South Carolina is not a player on the national stage like Alabama is. We have to keep Alabama weak in order for us to ever win another game, be it against the Tide or Northwest Eastern Carolina. Therefore, we only care about it when Alabama does it.

Happy now?

It didn't says Spurrier did it, it said football staff. In Saban's case, it was reported that he did it.

It's the "How come everyone hollars when $aban does this and not when Coach X does it" post of the day.

Notice a pattern?

Ever think that maybe because these other situations are isolated incidents make them different from the fact that $aban hasn't coached a game yet and you have to point fingers to the kids next door pointing out that they did it too?

"Jimmy got a motorcycle. Tommy got an earring. Billy got a nosering. Suzy got a tongue ring. Bobby got a tattoo. Andy got caught smoking too. Johnny got caught drinking too. Timmy gets high too."

Once you start combining all those together you have one kid that's really bad news.

Can fans of the Crapstoned be happy that so much crap, whether it be fact, rumor or somewhere in between, keeps coming out about a man who is being paid wazzillions of dollars and hasn't coached one football game for the Tahd yet?

That's right, I said wazzillions!!

My only point this week is...either it's a big deal for ALL coaches, or a big deal for none.

Not just a big deal for Alabama coaches, and everyone else gets a pass. Since no one cares that 7 or 8 coaches (including Butch Davis and SOS) did the same thing that Saban did, I think it is a bit hypocritical that you guys made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

And it further points to the fact that people have decided to put a target on Saban's and UA's back...and no one else.

My only point this week is...either it's a big deal for ALL coaches, or a big deal for none.

Not just a big deal for Alabama coaches, and everyone else gets a pass. Since no one cares that 7 or 8 coaches (including Butch Davis and SOS) did the same thing that Saban did, I think it is a bit hypocritical that you guys made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

And it further points to the fact that people have decided to put a target on Saban's and UA's back...and no one else.

Again BG, I have to ask why our treatment of Saban and Alabama is such a mystery to you??? Please, break down who you're talking to and see if maybe the answer isn't right in front of you.

Just a suggestion... in the meantime...here's another tissue...

B)

bg, how do you not understand that we really don't care what saban does anymore than we care what spurrier or jimmy johnson or anyone else does for that matter, but because you get your panties in a wad everytime we bring him up it makes it entertaining for us. it seems that after reading this board for three or four years a person so proud of being a bama grad would pick up on that sort of thing.

Have you douched lately? Your conversations have that not so fresh feeling.

Have you douched lately? Your conversations have that not so fresh feeling.

Exactly tiger88... I'm getting the same feeling about some of the bammers in the is forum, that I got years ago while getting annoyed at the pee pee kid on the bus in elementary school.

;)

Scarbinsky chimes in.

Scar

Bumping into recruits can be bad for coaches

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Nick Saban needs to hear this. Every other college football coach should listen up, too.

The profession may think it's no big deal to bump into a prospect and chat for a minute outside of an official contact period.

The fan in the street may believe it's no big deal, either.

There are important people who disagree.

Some of those people are compliance directors and athletics officials at colleges and universities beyond those that compete in the Southeastern Conference and recruit in the South.

Like the rest of us, they heard the stories last month about the new Alabama coach allegedly having improper contacts with three south Florida recruits during the spring evaluation period.

Unlike a lot of us, those suits didn't wonder what all the fuss was about, and they didn't buy the argument that it was a non-story because everybody does it.

The Saban story touched off calls to NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis, and it sparked a debate in compliance circles.

The more radical members of the compliance crowd have discussed the need to put more teeth into the existing rule that prohibits anything more than incidental contact with a recruit during a non-contact period.

One idea making the rounds: Prohibit prospects from attending a school that breaks the no-contact rule.

Harsh, but it's one way to help recruits narrow their lists.

Alabama seems to be taking seriously the allegations about Saban and improper contacts. Athletics department spokesman Doug Walker said Tuesday that the school "is in the process of compiling a report for the SEC office, and we plan to submit that report in the very near future."

If Alabama self-reports any secondary violations, it would make the school no different than, say, South Carolina.

The Gamecocks announced Friday that they've reported eight secondary NCAA violations this calendar year in various sports, two of the violations involving improper contacts with football recruits.

But it's the Saban story that's put the issue on the front burner. Some compliance officials are so fired up, they'd like to see the NCAA make an example of someone who violates the rule.

The most infamous bumper in recent times was Rick Neuheisel, whose creative ways to make contact with recruits during non-contact periods helped put Colorado on probation in 2002.

The most outrageous example of that creativity had Neuheisel talking to a recruit on the phone while standing across the street from the recruit's home.

Improper contacts usually are considered secondary violations when they're isolated and inadvertent and they result in no recruiting advantage. When they're not isolated or not inadvertent or they do result in a recruiting advantage, they can be a major pain.

Read these chilling words from the NCAA Infraction Committee's report in the Colorado case:

"The committee takes this opportunity to send an unequivocal message that the custom of `bumping' prospects during non-contact periods is a violation of NCAA rules no matter how widespread the practice, and coaches who continue to do so will be held accountable for their actions."

The NCAA hasn't exactly cracked down on the practice in the last five years, but that may be about to change.

So look out for things that go bump in the night. Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Write him at kscarbinsky@bhamnews.com.

Guest Tigrinum Major

...I think it is a bit hypocritical that you guys made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

Kind of like a person that defends a coach up to the point at which he is fired, when said person then says that he needed to be fired?

Don't pull out the "he had a chance to make changes and refused" argument either. I don't buy it.

...I think it is a bit hypocritical that you guys made such a big deal out of it in the first place.

Kind of like a person that defends a coach up to the point at which he is fired, when said person then says that he needed to be fired?

Don't pull out the "he had a chance to make changes and refused" argument either. I don't buy it.

Uh no. You mean "the guy who said after the MSU game that the coach should be fired".

Guest Tigrinum Major

C'mon. It's like arguing over number of National Championships, discussions of orange jerseys and youtube clips. You can never get enough.

Archived