JSU to move to I-A?

AU alum

I just read on another board that Jacksonville State University was moving to I-A. Is this true? I know Troy did it, but does JSU have as good a football team as Troy?

Nothing about it on their website.

JSU used to have some pretty decent teams in the 80's and 90's, but they would get killed in 1-A.

I'm an Alumni of Jax State and I haven't heard that. After their DII AA Natl Title in the early 90's there was talk, but they went D1-AA instead.

Trivia Question - Name two NFL starters from Jax State. One has a Super Bowl Ring. This might be easier than I think.

By the way love this site. I usually just lurk/read.

War Eagle and Go Cocks (JSU).

I just read on another board that Jacksonville State University was moving to I-A. Is this true? I know Troy did it, but does JSU have as good a football team as Troy?

no link, but I read in the Huntsville Times Sunday that they were contemplating it. I believe they were discussing having to greatly increase their stadium before it would be possible.

I'm an Alumni of Jax State and I haven't heard that. After their DII AA Natl Title in the early 90's there was talk, but they went D1-AA instead.

Trivia Question - Name two NFL starters from Jax State. One has a Super Bowl Ring. This might be easier than I think.

By the way love this site. I usually just lurk/read.

War Eagle and Go Cocks (JSU).

Without googlin', I'm guessing one of them is Dieter Brock. I don't know the other.

I really hope my Gamecocks stay right where they're at. Dieter Brock and the defensive limeman AARRRRRGH--- Baker? was his last name. I was at JSU in the early 80's.

Tiger in Spain did I notice on one of your posts you were once Tiger in Pell? rack'em up sack'em up give'em hell pell!! class of '78

I really hope my Gamecocks stay right where they're at. Dieter Brock and the defensive limeman AARRRRRGH--- Baker? was his last name. I was at JSU in the early 80's.

Tiger in Spain did I notice on one of your posts you were once Tiger in Pell? rack'em up sack'em up give'em hell pell!! class of '78

I've always been Tiger in Spain, but I do hail from Pell City. Class of '82! How are the Panthers looking for this season?

Rack 'em up sack 'em up given 'em hell Pell! Man, Coach Pate hated that cheer! :big:

I've always been Tiger in Spain, but I do hail from Pell City. Class of '82! How are the Panthers looking for this season?

Rack 'em up sack 'em up given 'em hell Pell! Man, Coach Pate hated that cheer! :big:

talked to Coach Brown the other day and he feels pretty good about the season, these days you can actually go out and not make the team, in the late 70's we couldn't get anybody to play. They have some big boys but we're still a small 6A.

Talked to Coach Rich last year looks like he could still bench 500. did you know they named the field after him?

and I was thinking Jessie Baker-played for the Cowboys after JSU I think

talked to Coach Brown the other day and he feels pretty good about the season, these days you can actually go out and not make the team, in the late 70's we couldn't get anybody to play. They have some big boys but we're still a small 6A.

Talked to Coach Rich last year looks like he could still bench 500. did you know they named the field after him?

Coach Brown has been the best thing for that program since Lyle Darnell was coaching back in the mid-late 80's. He has really turned them around.

Coach Rich, Ol' Pete. Man, I haven't heard that name in a loooong time! He was tough as they come and always had his hair cut in a flat top. I remember he was teaching one of the linemen how to get off a block and just leveled the guy. This player was a big boy in full pads, and Coach Rich knocked the snot out of him.

They had trouble getting guys on the team back when I was in high school (79-82). I think we were 4A at the time, and no one hardly went out for the team. The success of the mid-80's helped generate some interest and got the numbers up. There was a pretty lean time in the Panther program between the Wayne McCoy years (74-76 or so) and when the Gulledge boy came along at QB.

Coach Brown has been the best thing for that program since Lyle Darnell was coaching back in the mid-late 80's. He has really turned them around.

Coach Rich, Ol' Pete. Man, I haven't heard that name in a loooong time! He was tough as they come and always had his hair cut in a flat top. I remember he was teaching one of the linemen how to get off a block and just leveled the guy. This player was a big boy in full pads, and Coach Rich knocked the snot out of him.

They had trouble getting guys on the team back when I was in high school (79-82). I think we were 4A at the time, and no one hardly went out for the team. The success of the mid-80's helped generate some interest and got the numbers up. There was a pretty lean time in the Panther program between the Wayne McCoy years (74-76 or so) and when the Gulledge boy came along at QB.

I remember coach rich jumping on a fumble during a live scrimmage no pads, no hat just yelled fumble-brother-fumble - oh crap get it and jumped in the pile (with his chew) I LOVED playing football for that man all 6' 185lb offensive tackle of me. Gene Ellison on the other hand well...we went 3-8 in 78 so we were'nt helping his career. we were the beginning of the lean time. You prob went to school with my sitster

I got my first degree from JSU. I was there in the late 80's and early 90's when they were hell on wheels in II-A under Burgess.

I read a couple of articles about the proposed move, and all I could imagine was how horrible they would be in I-A. IMHO, they need to go BACK to II-A rather than I-AA.

One interview said that they contacted the SunBelt, who promptly said..."Nah, We're all right, but thanks for the inquiry."

I am sure there are those that would like to see JSU move up so they can renew their "rivalry" with Troy, but JSU is not going to get back on par with Troy anytime soon. The pecking order is simple...

5,4, and 3 star recruits are looking at SEC and ACC action FIRST!!! A kid from Anniston, AL would play for Ga Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, etc...if Alabama or Auburn didn't offer. They aren't going to stay at home and play for Troy, UAB, or JSU when other opportunities arise. Troy and UAB are never going to compete unless the NCAA drops scholarships down again. Alabama's population will not support 3 or 4 successful college teams. Two is probably the max.

The two I was thinking of were

1. Eric Davis CB 49ers 90-95 (SB Ring)

2. Keith McKeller TE Bills 87-93

Jesse Baker Oilers is the D-Lineman you're thinking of.

Later

The interesting thing about McKeller is that he only played one year of football at JSU. He was a four-year member of the basketball team and won a Div. II national championship in 1985. Seahawks (and former Lions & Colts) TE Marcus Pollard didn’t even play college football. He went to Bradley and played basketball. He is also from Valley, just up interstate 85 from Auburn.

Archived