Alabama High School Football rankings released

Tiger in Spain

A true story related many years ago -- paraphrased I'm sure

A sports journalist was in the Auburn area, Opelika to be exact. He wasn't sure how to pronounce Opelika so he asked the waitress what the name of the place was.

She replied

"Dairy Queen"

Also

Go Bridgeport High School Tigers! (God I'm old)

I know I may be getting older and things have changed...but it is just damn weird to see no Lee or Jeff Davis on the list. Not even on the "others recieving votes" list. Good job Montgomery Public School system. You have run a perfectly good school system in the ground and places like Prattville are now getting the good coaches and students...it is a freaking disgrace.

ASWA Preseason Poll

Last year's records are shown as well as first-place votes in parenthesis.

Class 6A

No. 1 Prattville (24) (15-0) 296

No. 2 Hoover (4) (13-2) 234

No. 3 Daphne (1) (9-3) 194

No. 4 Vestavia Hills (11-3) 151

No. 5 McGill-Toolen (11-2) 137

No. 6 Foley (10-2) 110

No. 7 Opelika (12-2) 98

No. 8 Gadsden City (9-2) 69

No. 9 Spain Park (6-4) 65

No. 10 Tuscaloosa Co. (6-5) 39

Others receiving votes: Bob Jones (5-6) 16; Enterprise (7-4) 12; Home­wood (7-6) 12; Oxford (6-5) 9; Sidney Lanier (7-5) 7; Pelham (10-3) 6; Auburn (7-5) 5; Clay-Chalkville (9-2) 5; Sparkman (10-2) 5; Moun­tain Brook (5-5) 3; Smiths Station (6-5) 3; Flor­ence (6-5) 2; Thompson (8-4) 2; Minor (6-6) 1; Murphy (9-3) 1; Wetumpka (5-4) 1

Link

That's right...look out Lions, Bucs, and Trojans, here come the Panthers! :lol:

I know I may be getting older and things have changed...but it is just damn weird to see no Lee or Jeff Davis on the list. Not even on the "others recieving votes" list. Good job Montgomery Public School system. You have run a perfectly good school system in the ground and places like Prattville are now getting the good coaches and students...it is a freaking disgrace.

I totally agree. Graduated from Jeff Davis and the last time I went to a JD game, I had to look around and say, We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto".

Okay, I grew up in Montgomery so I've heard it pronounced both ways. How do you say Prattville?

With the emphasis on Pratt and then a quick, short vul. PRATTvul

Or both syllables emphasized equally. PRATTVIIIIILLE

Pratt-vil Just like Huntsville. Vul is how you mutter it in redneck speak.

I was going to give the exact same explanation.

Okay, I grew up in Montgomery so I've heard it pronounced both ways. How do you say Prattville?

With the emphasis on Pratt and then a quick, short vul. PRATTvul

Or both syllables emphasized equally. PRATTVIIIIILLE

Pratt-vil Just like Huntsville. Vul is how you mutter it in redneck speak.

I was going to give the exact same explanation.

Some times we sow it down and say it as two words. But only when putting Alabama behind it.

Pratt-ville, Alabama. But never a vul.

Archived