Bama Fans Are Sick

Aubie16

Baby Bryant Denny has big shoes to fill

To the most devout of University of Alabama football fans, the names “Bryant” and “Denny” invoke a sense of dedication and excellence to football.

And they are names not just reserved for a stadium.

Meet Bryant Denny Banks, who has been breathing the sweet, Southern air of Jasper for about three weeks.

Clad in full Crimson Tide regalia, right down to his Big Al pacifier, he is clearly the pride of his parents, Jessica and Adam Banks, and his maternal grandparents, Dean and Kay Farley.

“I’d always liked the name,” said Dean Farley, 41. “But since I had daughters, I couldn’t name any of them Bryant, so I had a problem.”

That problem, with the understanding and love of his daughter and son-in-law, has disappeared.

It almost didn’t happen though. In fact, young Bryant Denny Banks didn’t get his full name until after his birth.

Turns out Adam Banks favors the University of Florida, despite growing up in Jasper and being surrounded by Crimson Tide fans.

He’d already conceded to Bryant as a first name, but his allegiance to the Gator Nation had Adam Banks wanting to give his first son the middle name of “Stephen” after Steve Spurrier, the former Gators head coach who, after a two-year stint in the NFL, coaches the University of South Carolina.

“But then it changed,” Adam Banks, 26, said.

Once the baby was finally in his grandfather’s arms, Stephen just didn’t seem to fit, Dean Farley said.

“Bryant Denny was in my mind 20 years ago,” Dean Farley said. “He knew my love for Alabama, and he respected that.”

Bryant Denny Banks is now on the list of those named for Paul William “Bear” Bryant, the legendary head football coach who led the Crimson Tide to six national titles.

The Paul W. Bryant Museum has a database of about 500 children who’ve been given the name Paul, William, Bear or Bryant in honor of the coach.

Bryant Denny Banks, though, who was just recently added to the database, will be something of a rarity. He’s only the fourth Bryant Denny in the database, said Olivia Arnold, a program assistant at the museum.

Denny refers to the UA stadium’s original namesake, George Denny, a university president who began the school’s emphasis on football.

It was not only Adam Banks’ willingness to let his father-in-law fulfill a dream that resulted in Bryant Denny Banks’ name.

Jessica Banks, the Farley’s oldest daughter, cares nothing for sports.

She appreciates the Crimson Tide because of growing up in her father’s home, but the 20-year-old confessed to having none of her father’s obsession when it comes to all things Alabama.

“I had a different name picked out the whole time,” she said.

Her choice for her son’s name was Joah Dale. However, that got overruled early on.

(yeah, i mean, whoever heard of letting the mother have a say in the name of her baby?)

It makes no difference now, though, as the family beamed while retelling the history behind the name.

He was even dressed in a small Crimson Tide hat and outfit for his dedication at the Living Water Tabernacle in Manchester.

To Dean Farley, it’s more than just a tribute to home field of his favorite college football team.

“More important to me is the name and tradition — and it’s a manly name,” Dean Farley said. “It’s got history and tradition behind it, and it’s a winner.

“And that’s exactly what our grandson is going to be.”

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2007...=73289233138692

So what's wrong with naming your kid Bryant Denny?

Regards,

BamaPerry

Shane from Center Point

Toothless loser living in a trailer park in Pinson

Rack Em!!

I don't know which is worse: the child abuse this poor newborn is being subjected to with this ridiculous naming story, or the fact that the museum has a database of over 500 similar names. :no:

On the plus side, there is a master's thesis somewhere in this mass uat psychosis phenomena for some inquisitive student.

What kind of a spineless jellyfish could this Florida Gator fan be to allow his father-in-law to name his child after a couple of bammers? I live in Georgia and my in-laws are Bulldogs, but there is no set of cirumstances that would have ever made me CONSIDER naming one of my children after UGA (even though I sort of like them). Especially at the behest of my in-laws.

I can't believe this guy didn't tell his father-in-law to get lost.

Anyone that is shocked or amazed, please, raise your little typing finger.

Just more proof of the typical toothless wonders in east moundville.

When they do these stories, I'd like to see the reporters at least ask these parents what year they graduated or expect to graduate from UAT? Or maybe they should just ask if they graduated high school.

I grew up in Jasper, and visit my parents from only on rare occasions. The homers of Walker County, which is the next county north of Tuscaloosa are all spitting images of these people. Thank God I escaped to Auburn.

Anyone that is shocked or amazed, please, raise your little typing finger.

Just more proof of the typical toothless wonders in east moundville.

Moundville is south of Tuscaloosa, Magellan.

They don't plan to call the child either Bryant or Denny, but will call him, based on ownership of the stadium, little Tuberville.

I think "Tubs" would be a great nickname, as would "Aubie"! :big:

I do hope the grandfather is right about one thing, though: I hope the kid does grow up to be a winner. I'd love to see him win a Heisman and national championships one day--playing for Auburn University! :roflol:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Deacon Blues

According to urban legend, the song was actually written about the Wake Forest University Demon Deacons, but in a Rolling Stone interview, Donald Fagen said "Walter and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, "You mean it's like, 'They call these cracker a**holes this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' " And I said, "Yeah!" He said, "Cool! Let's finish it!"

Missing Link

"CRACKER ........"

THAT "shoe" definately fits the east moundvillians. :big:

Archived